what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

reasonist

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 16, 2017, 04:17:24 PM
I will show you mine--if you show me yours.  I've made the same offer to god--no luck so far.  But then, god is a fiction--I suspect he/she/it is off playing with Bugs and Taz. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfm0GCvsIVA

this sums it up neatly.
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 16, 2017, 02:37:54 PM
Only God can give you God, man cannot.

odd that man has given us all the gods. Can you show us the one he has not?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 15, 2017, 03:49:00 PM
I can see how that would be off-putting.  Imagine myself in that situation I would certainly have to reassess my expectations of God.  Many of those expectations are given to us by others. It's usually when I stop pushing on the door so hard that it opens...inwardly.

These verses described my expectations of God:

Matthew 7:9-11 - "Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"

My experience told me differently. God, if he existed, was no father. And he certainly was not a significantly greater provider than an Earthly father, as this passage suggested.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on April 15, 2017, 03:38:57 PM
Exactly what happened to Moses ... driven into the desert by Pharaoh.  Nothing changed for 40 years ... until the burning bush.  By that time Moses was 80.

So when does God conveniently kill all of my enemies for me? I can make a list of suggestions for him, if he needs it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 17, 2017, 07:44:32 PM
Matthew 7:9-11 - "Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"
... you have not because you ask not.

Blackleaf you were just missin out on all the good stuff cause you were askin in the wrooong language. and that thing in Malachi "bring the tithe into the store house and I'll give you a blessing so big you won't have space for it." I missed out on that cause it was the weekend and somebody lost the paperwork.

Baruch can you tell us how to use a Bible salesman?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

trdsf

Twenty-five pages of comments on this thread.

I think we have an answer to the original post: there isn't one.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 04, 2017, 12:40:15 PM
It's not faith if it's proven. And God most certainly is not proven. Personal experience does not qualify as proof either. I thought I had that too for a while, before I realized it was probably all in my head.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Sorginak on April 15, 2017, 05:34:32 PM
People are just people, and people need to stop using the term god in reference to just anything.
Yeah, since a word that can mean anything at all actually means nothing at all.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 20, 2017, 05:47:41 PM

And from that if G-d doesn't exist, you should conclude that you doesn't exist.  But seeing yourself in the mirror (physically or psychologically) you are seeing a demigod.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 20, 2017, 05:59:37 PM
Yeah, since a word that can mean anything at all actually means nothing at all.

People aren't people ... they are apes.  You are not a person, you are an ape.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?