what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 06:01:51 PM
Its has to be tried. That's the only way.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
I am willing to try just about anything.  So, what am I supposed to try????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 17, 2016, 08:05:35 PM

Confucius say ... until you finish crap, you are constipated.  But crap is a never ending story.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

g2perk

Quote from: Baruch on August 17, 2016, 07:48:23 PM
Irrelevant ... I deny the existence of proof.  So asking to prove or disprove the existence of G-d is like trying to count how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, when there are no angels, and you have lost your pin in a haystack.
First off who are you to deny anything.

g2perk

Quote from: Baruch on August 17, 2016, 07:55:08 PM
I did try ... and G-d is real, but still found wanting.  I am not easily impressed.
Then try being humble

g2perk

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 17, 2016, 07:57:42 PM
My proof?  The utter lack in any evidence in your fictional god--nor any other god.  I have searched for evidence of god, but have found none.  I have not found credible evidence of the existence of any god from any human source.  I realize that Paul Bunyan does not exist--is a fiction.  Like god and the bible there is written 'evidence' for Paul bunyan.  But I realize that he is fiction, for there is no tangible evidence to support his actual existence.  You see, g2, I could tell you that the Invisible Pink Unicorn exists for I have experienced her.  Then I could ask you to prove me wrong.  Same concept--the lack of evidence is proof.  Can you provide me with any evidence?  I did not think so.

You use the word 'believe' in connection with your god.  I don't believe in anything.  I don't believe the sun will rise tomorrow.  I think that it will, since I have amble evidence that it has risen many many times before and it seems to follow a patter.  So, I don't believe the sun will rise, but I think that it will.  And I will continue to think so until evidence proves me wrong.  You belief simply means that that is what you want to believe.  And you have faith; which simply means you will not examine facts--and even if you do, you will not accept them since you don't want to--you simply chose to be ignorant.  That is your choice, but do not expect me to follow it unless there is some evidence provided that indicates I should.
Mike. Evidence won't help you if you still THINK the sun will rise everyday instead of believing it will. If you don't believe in anything then you stand for nothing.

Baruch

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 08:13:28 PM
First off who are you to deny anything.

Jewish mystic.  I know G-d personally.  This isn't good news, it is bad news.  G-d is an asshole.  There are Internet cartoons sometimes posted here, that agree with me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 08:14:54 PM
Then try being humble

Humble yourself, come and be my slave for 400 years.  The more I whip you, the higher your eventual status in the Kingdom of Heaven, if I ever let you die.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

g2perk

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 17, 2016, 08:05:35 PM
Try having a relationship with Him. Pray to him.

mauricio

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 07:41:15 PM
I thought you guys would have better info on why you don't believe. But you guys follow one another.

you literally said none of our words can supersede you personal experience of god. You have already assumed your conclusion must be truth and blocked out the possibility of it being false since your personal experience made it so evident. None of us can enter your brain and change how it has been shaped by your experience. So apparently dialogue is futile. So what exactly did you experience that gave you such clear revelation of god?

g2perk

Quote from: Baruch on August 17, 2016, 08:21:40 PM
Humble yourself, come and be my slave for 400 years.  The more I whip you, the higher your eventual status in the Kingdom of Heaven, if I ever let you die.
My ancestors were slaves, that still does not excuse me from loving and forgiving ppl.

mauricio

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 08:19:23 PM
Mike. Evidence won't help you if you still THINK the sun will rise everyday instead of believing it will. If you don't believe in anything then you stand for nothing.

rather than not believing or believing I choose to take knowledge as provisional. I recognize the limits of my knowledge and perception and simply assert things to be truth only in so far as I currently know with the available evidence and logical arguments. On top of this i recognize that this 'truths' are merely predictions based on previous experiences and extrapolations from patterns previously observed and that this 'truths' are usually stochastic and based on abstractions, therefore always open to further refinement and not quite a absolutely accurate representation of reality. This mainly applies to "truths" about natural phenomena, because there's also other types of 'truths' like my ethics argument which is based on conventionality of axioms between people.

g2perk

That maybe true somewhat but where is the benefit of not believing in anything greater than yourself. Being a christian man means putting yourself last.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 17, 2016, 08:12:04 PM
Confucius say ... until you finish crap, you are constipated.  But crap is a never ending story.
Yep--life is a series of toilet seats. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 05:25:43 PM
Right and wrong....must be a believe before you receive the benefits.

I was a believer for 24 years. There are no benefits. You give God credit for all the good things that happen to you, with no reason to think that it is him. And when your imaginary friend fails you, you just dismiss it. The same "evidence" you see has been seen with every other god who has ever existed.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

g2perk

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 17, 2016, 10:36:37 PM
I was a believer for 24 years. There are no benefits. You give God credit for all the good things that happen to you, with no reason to think that it is him. And when your imaginary friend fails you, you just dismiss it. The same "evidence" you see has been seen with every other god who has ever existed.
Not one of those gods can do what God can do. Because of the free will that we have ,the things we go through in life bring good times as well as bad times. But its how we adapt to change and become content with life's issues. My God gives me understanding. He doesn't always fix and or remove the problem but He changes me for the better because of it.