what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Sorginak on March 24, 2017, 03:19:41 AM
Considering how religion and its belief systems are veritable myths, I think we have nothing to worry about in regard to actual theistic criminals cheating the system.  However, I also understand how theistic individuals only think in terms of their theism, actual reason escaping their little minds, so speaking in terms they understand can be considered beneficial except that those ignorant, illogical apologist arguments just seem to keep getting in the way.

Keep posting.  I'm enjoying every word!  "actual reasoning escaping their little minds" is the best phrase I've seen today anywhere.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 14, 2016, 08:13:09 PM
Could you handle even one shield maiden/Valkyrie?  Really!

The Valkaries are are nonsensical as unicorns. 

Cavebear

Quote from: Sorginak on March 24, 2017, 03:19:41 AM
Considering how religion and its belief systems are veritable myths, I think we have nothing to worry about in regard to actual theistic criminals cheating the system.  However, I also understand how theistic individuals only think in terms of their theism, actual reason escaping their little minds, so speaking in terms they understand can be considered beneficial except that those ignorant, illogical apologist arguments just seem to keep getting in the way.

Yeah, but the theists think so and that affects how they plan their lives.  Be absolute bastards all your life and repent at the end, all is good.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 24, 2017, 04:57:17 AM
The Valkaries are are nonsensical as unicorns.

Sorry, I am open minded, but I am not going to "do" a unicorn ;-)  Valkyrie ... maybe ... if she will take the armor off.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on March 24, 2017, 01:50:13 AM
According to religion it does.

Last minute confession and sacrament was a big deal once.  Constantine did it, so did one of his sons.  Got a little splash baptism at the end ... because it was believed once baptized, you better not sin again.  Being evil rulers, this put a crimp on their family business (late Roman Empire).  Also the notion of time was slippery ... that what you do at one time, impacts past, present and future.  On the other hand, false confession or false repentance was regarded by some religious ... as worthless, same as most of us might think.  How to know if it is false?  We don't .. but G-d does.  Also, does their behavior actually change?  This is what got the Donatists in trouble with the Church (they deplored false priests ... sound familiar?).  And this is what Jean Calvin was saying in creating Calvinism ... real religious are morally pure, if they aren't then they aren't religious ... but it is OK to kill people anyway, if G-d tells you to ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 24, 2017, 07:14:47 AM
Last minute confession and sacrament was a big deal once.  Constantine did it, so did one of his sons.  Got a little splash baptism at the end ... because it was believed once baptized, you better not sin again.  Being evil rulers, this put a crimp on their family business (late Roman Empire).  Also the notion of time was slippery ... that what you do at one time, impacts past, present and future.  On the other hand, false confession or false repentance was regarded by some religious ... as worthless, same as most of us might think.  How to know if it is false?  We don't .. but G-d does.  Also, does their behavior actually change?  This is what got the Donatists in trouble with the Church (they deplored false priests ... sound familiar?).  And this is what Jean Calvin was saying in creating Calvinism ... real religious are morally pure, if they aren't then they aren't religious ... but it is OK to kill people anyway, if G-d tells you to ;-(

Were the Churches right in medieval times granting indulgences?  If yes, then it should be correct today.  If no, then Hell is full of believers. 

Religion is SO idiotic.  I laugh almost every day.  Well, SOME days the subject never even crosses my mind.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 25, 2017, 02:05:42 AM
Were the Churches right in medieval times granting indulgences?  If yes, then it should be correct today.  If no, then Hell is full of believers. 

Religion is SO idiotic.  I laugh almost every day.  Well, SOME days the subject never even crosses my mind.

Indulgences were a form of taxation.  Given the Medieval poverty, there wasn't much to put in the plate when passed.  And not enough nobility were screwing their progeny, by giving their estates away to the Church for having been such bloodthirsty killers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

The ones I got a kick out of were the sin eater scammers.  You could pay them and then heap all your sins on them.  In exchange for money, they would go to Hell for you.  At least that's what they claimed.  Must have been a great relief for a lot of people.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 25, 2017, 08:57:12 AM
The ones I got a kick out of were the sin eater scammers.  You could pay them and then heap all your sins on them.  In exchange for money, they would go to Hell for you.  At least that's what they claimed.  Must have been a great relief for a lot of people.

I think that was mostly Ireland, and mostly an old pagan custom.  In Ireland, they were so poor due to the English, that being a sin-eater might be the only way to get a square meal ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Religion is exactly like science, but don't tell Drew.  As you just implied, religion even evolves.  Just like science, people pull ideas out of their ass, and some of them become popular and part of the collective conscious.  Other less useful adaptations are discarded by consensus.  Yup, no difference between science and religion.  Well religious ideas evolve more slowly, because there is so much more thinking involved.  But religion is like the tortoise, it eventually wins, because science is more stupid.

Drew_2017

Okay I'll throw my two cents in. I think more so than any other reason religion is what disgusts, repulses and sickens atheists about theism over all. I share their feelings of disgust and as a result I'm not affiliated with any religion. However, I haven't thrown the baby out with the bathwater. I still believe by a preponderance of the evidence (whether anyone in here acknowledges its evidence is irrelevant at this point) we owe our existence to a Creator. I don't have to subscribe to any particular religious belief as a result.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Cavebear

Quote from: Drew_2017 on March 27, 2017, 11:35:39 PM
Okay I'll throw my two cents in. I think more so than any other reason religion is what disgusts, repulses and sickens atheists about theism over all. I share their feelings of disgust and as a result I'm not affiliated with any religion. However, I haven't thrown the baby out with the bathwater. I still believe by a preponderance of the evidence (whether anyone in here acknowledges its evidence is irrelevant at this point) we owe our existence to a Creator. I don't have to subscribe to any particular religious belief as a result.

You say you are not affiliated with any religion.  Yet we owe our existence to a creator...

That's inane.

Hydra009

Quote from: Drew_2017 on March 27, 2017, 11:35:39 PMI think more so than any other reason religion is what disgusts, repulses and sickens atheists about theism over all. I share their feelings of disgust and as a result I'm not affiliated with any religion.
A system of worship of god/gods tends to be heavily related with the idea that god/gods exists.

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on March 27, 2017, 11:35:39 PM

An agnostic in regards to formal religion.  Not a bad thing, i have distanced myself at times from formal religion.  Though lately I am going to rejoin ... partly.  I like my independence, but I can't stay in my mother's basement all my life ;-)  I am more of an agnostic in regards to politics ... I really can't say which flavor of criminality I prefer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 28, 2017, 02:30:41 AM
A system of worship of god/gods tends to be heavily related with the idea that god/gods exists.

The "I think I can, I think I can" school of philosophy (a form of Idealism) would say, belief in gods brings them into existence.  They are real, just as much as R party policy positions are (given that there are R party people who write them and believe in them).  In which case, Shabbat was made for man, not man for Shabbat .. where did I hear that before ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.