what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g2perk

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 17, 2016, 05:33:14 PM
Hmm...my guess would be...his experience?
Yeah. But mine is real. No one here can prove GOD does not exist.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

mauricio

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 05:34:24 PM

how exactly do you proof something ineffable and ambiguous like the concept of god does not exist. Many of it's conceptions make it by definition unfalsifiable, like when people say he is outside time and space whatever that even means. I recommend you to read this http://godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/Dragon.htm

g2perk

Its has to be tried. That's the only way.

FaithIsFilth

You have hope and faith that it is real. You do not know it to be real, otherwise there would be no need for faith.

QuoteIts has to be tried. That's the only way.
Are you willing to try out Hinduism to see if it is real? People who try out something and want it to be real, usually end up thinking it's real. That's just how the human mind works. I accept that some religious people have very real experiences, but what that shows is that they've had an experience that made them feel good inside. Nothing more and nothing less. For the record, I was born into Christianity and did give it a try, and I had experiences with God, but in hindsight, that kind of thing does not impress me in the least. Playing tricks on us is what our minds do best.

Why are you not willing to consider the alternative that your mind could just be playing tricks on you? Because if you considered that for a minute, God might get mad at you and you might lose your shot at cheating death. People are usually only willing to look at things with such an open mind when they've decided that they simply want to find the truth and don't care what the consequences are of finding that truth.

Unbeliever

Until you've defined this silly 'God' notion of yours, no one can even discuss it intelligently, much less 'prove' it doesn't exist. Can you prove a "nugraligy" doesn't exist?

Are you simply being obtuse and argumentative, or are we having a real discussion? If the latter, please define this 'God' thing you keep going on about.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

g2perk

The reason for faith is to believe in what you can't see, if you can see it then there is no need for faith.
And no Hinduism is not something I will try.
So you tried God out but it didn't work for you..ok why didn't it work. Was it because things didn't go as you wanted it to go.

Look this relationship with God is not for everyone simply because its a hard walk. But the lessons you learned are worth more than Gold.

g2perk

The prove that God exist is in each individual person. When a person like myself ( can't speak for others) says they believe in God its because God has moved in my life and  not only changes your heart but it changes your actions towards others.

mauricio

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 06:42:57 PM
The prove that God exist is in each individual person. When a person like myself ( can't speak for others) says they believe in God its because God has moved in my life and  not only changes your heart but it changes your actions towards others.

well so basically there is nothing to discuss about the existence of god anymore then if this is all you got and you say this supersedes any type of info we can share with you. So what now? what is the purpose of your visit?

g2perk

I thought you guys would have better info on why you don't believe. But you guys follow one another.

Baruch

Irrelevant ... I deny the existence of proof.  So asking to prove or disprove the existence of G-d is like trying to count how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, when there are no angels, and you have lost your pin in a haystack.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 17, 2016, 05:01:04 PM

The word apocalypse is often misused to mean a catastrophic end of something, e.g., the world. Can I assume that's the sense you intend here?

Like a character in Alice In Wonderland ... a word means exactly what I intend it to mean, no more and no less.

Yes, every word, borrowed from Greek or not is misused ... it is called poetic license, and we all have that license.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 17, 2016, 05:33:14 PM
Hmm...my guess would be...his experience?

That isn't the problem, the problem is thinking that my experience is objective, but yours is subjective.  Rhetoric isn't neutral.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 06:01:51 PM
Its has to be tried. That's the only way.

I did try ... and G-d is real, but still found wanting.  I am not easily impressed.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 05:32:05 PM
O lord here we go with the subjective or not quote. Yeah my experience is my proof. What is your proof that God does not exist.

My proof?  The utter lack in any evidence in your fictional god--nor any other god.  I have searched for evidence of god, but have found none.  I have not found credible evidence of the existence of any god from any human source.  I realize that Paul Bunyan does not exist--is a fiction.  Like god and the bible there is written 'evidence' for Paul bunyan.  But I realize that he is fiction, for there is no tangible evidence to support his actual existence.  You see, g2, I could tell you that the Invisible Pink Unicorn exists for I have experienced her.  Then I could ask you to prove me wrong.  Same concept--the lack of evidence is proof.  Can you provide me with any evidence?  I did not think so.

You use the word 'believe' in connection with your god.  I don't believe in anything.  I don't believe the sun will rise tomorrow.  I think that it will, since I have amble evidence that it has risen many many times before and it seems to follow a patter.  So, I don't believe the sun will rise, but I think that it will.  And I will continue to think so until evidence proves me wrong.  You belief simply means that that is what you want to believe.  And you have faith; which simply means you will not examine facts--and even if you do, you will not accept them since you don't want to--you simply chose to be ignorant.  That is your choice, but do not expect me to follow it unless there is some evidence provided that indicates I should.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: mauricio on August 17, 2016, 05:48:10 PM
how exactly do you proof something ineffable and ambiguous like the concept of god does not exist. Many of it's conceptions make it by definition unfalsifiable, like when people say he is outside time and space whatever that even means. I recommend you to read this http://godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/Dragon.htm
I would suggest that if there is not a shred of evidence for something, then that something is proven to not be.  The burden of proof is not on the person proving god does not exist, but totally on the person making that claim.  I could say that fire ants live on Mars.  Prove me wrong.  You can't in the same way one cannot provide physical evidence that god does not exist.  Just because we have not seen fire ants on Mars they are in places we have not looked yet; I believe that to be true.  The burden of proof is on me to prove that those ants live--not on you to prove they do not.  If you make the claim, then you have to provide the proof--that's your job.  So far, g2 has totally failed in that area.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?