what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on February 13, 2017, 07:06:03 AM
So Trump isn't the anti-Christ as long as at least one person disagrees?

The anti-christ has to be liked by everyone; he will be someone by whom even the theists are fooled. 

doorknob

How do they know the anti christ isnt a she?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorginak

Quote from: doorknob on February 14, 2017, 07:29:32 PM
How do they know the anti christ isnt a she?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering that the Judeo-Christian religions are patriarchal in nature, they would immediately distrust any woman in charge.  Thus, discounting her as being the anti-christ since the anti-christ would gain the trust of everyone.

Unbeliever

I think the ancient  Roman Catholic Church may have been the anti-Christ, given that their first pope was the only one of the disciples who denied Jesus three times. I bet they even have a ritual Christ-denial before becoming pope.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 14, 2017, 06:43:45 PM
But there is logical evidence against logically inconsistent [G]ods. If a God with mutually exclusive characteristics is posited, then logic denies its existence.

Humans are inconsistent ... so we must not exist.  Only Vulcans exist.  Putting logic over faith, is what got Abelard and Heloise into trouble, that and concupiscence.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 14, 2017, 07:32:24 PM
Considering that the Judeo-Christian religions are patriarchal in nature, they would immediately distrust any woman in charge.  Thus, discounting her as being the anti-christ since the anti-christ would gain the trust of everyone.

There already was a legendary female Pope, so the anti-Christ has already come and gone over 1000 years ago.  Pope Joan.  But that defies the "popularity" meme.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 14, 2017, 07:34:08 PM
I think the ancient  Roman Catholic Church may have been the anti-Christ, given that their first pope was the only one of the disciples who denied Jesus three times. I bet they even have a ritual Christ-denial before becoming pope.

Not only that, but in tradition they still show a Pope Candidate chair, that has a hole in the bottom, so a deacon can check the candidate for female parts (see Pope Joan).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 14, 2017, 09:06:25 AM
some day we 'may' find out.  But until that time, for me, the total and complete lack of evidence just screams fiction--a Creator God who leaves no traces whatsoever, is and must be, a fiction.  When/if the day comes when proof suddenly appears, I will then change my way of thinking and embrace this God for all I'm worth.
I was agreein with you until that last part. If a real god shows up just happens to be the Christian god, well, we got some issues to work out before any embracing is going on. Course if its another god that shows up; still gonna have to do a little bit of talkin to get my approval.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 14, 2017, 06:43:45 PM
But there is logical evidence against logically inconsistent [G]ods. If a God with mutually exclusive characteristics is posited, then logic denies its existence.

Actually, I suspect there is no "then" involved.  Almost any logic denies the existence of a deity.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: fencerider on February 15, 2017, 02:07:34 AM
I was agreein with you until that last part. If a real god shows up just happens to be the Christian god, well, we got some issues to work out before any embracing is going on. Course if its another god that shows up; still gonna have to do a little bit of talkin to get my approval.
Well, I have to agree on that point--was being a little factious, tho.  But if any god showed up I would like a little explaining going on. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

For a while after losing my faith, I wanted to find out that God was real. Now that I realize how evil the Christian god would be if he were real, I don't think I want that any more. The Christian god can screw himself. Literally. I think he's the only god who can do a three-way with himself.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 15, 2017, 02:30:25 AM
Actually, I suspect there is no "then" involved.  Almost any logic denies the existence of a deity.

Deities are unreasonable (even if they exist).  They are not un-logical ... hence theology.  Theology makes the unreasonable, logical.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 15, 2017, 09:39:24 AM
Well, I have to agree on that point--was being a little factious, tho.  But if any god showed up I would like a little explaining going on. :)
Yeah, just like Lucy, any god's got lots of 'splaining to do...

God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 15, 2017, 10:04:37 AM
I think he's the only god who can do a three-way with himself.

Wow, tickets could be sold! It'd be the biggest blockbuster in the history of the universe!

God Not Found

fencerider

and then there is Hydra with many heads. and Vishnu with many hands. freekin godly orgy
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.