What's your take on this complete drivel a theist posted?

Started by DavidOller, August 11, 2016, 06:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidOller

"Ignorance. Atheism doesn't do anyone any good! You think you're smart but I would have to conclude you made an assumption based on your reality (whether your reality exists based on an assumption that it does exists) that knowledge has to be greater than God (with the assumption that God doesn't exist). Even with all the accumulated knowledge in this world, is there such a thing as infinite knowledge? Or is there a limit to knowledge? If knowledge is limited, how much do we know compared to the greatest amount of knowledge that can be attained? Can knowledge be measured then? What is the scale? What should our education be like if knowledge is limited? But if there were an infinite amount of knowledge, who can know it? How do we compare? In my worldview, God holds infinite power, might, and knowledge. The measure to knowledge is vast and expanded beyond what we can know unless you know the One who holds it. The measure is not how much I know, but how little I know compared to infinite knowledge. That is the reason I think atheist sound ridiculous. Of course, you would tell me I just made an assumption based on another assumption of what I think I know, which is another ridiculous argument altogether. Haha!"

Baruch

Wrong location for this post.  Ask for it to be moved.

Sorry, arrogance isn't limited to theists.  A good argument presented poorly ... will usually gather dust not kudos.

Often in theology, an impossible ideal is assumed as a stalking horse ... but it was born lame, and needs to be shot.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: DavidOller on August 11, 2016, 06:59:50 PM
"Ignorance. Atheism doesn't do anyone any good! You think you're smart but I would have to conclude you made an assumption based on your reality (whether your reality exists based on an assumption that it does exists) that knowledge has to be greater than God (with the assumption that God doesn't exist). Even with all the accumulated knowledge in this world, is there such a thing as infinite knowledge? Or is there a limit to knowledge? If knowledge is limited, how much do we know compared to the greatest amount of knowledge that can be attained? Can knowledge be measured then? What is the scale? What should our education be like if knowledge is limited? But if there were an infinite amount of knowledge, who can know it? How do we compare? In my worldview, God holds infinite power, might, and knowledge. The measure to knowledge is vast and expanded beyond what we can know unless you know the One who holds it. The measure is not how much I know, but how little I know compared to infinite knowledge. That is the reason I think atheist sound ridiculous. Of course, you would tell me I just made an assumption based on another assumption of what I think I know, which is another ridiculous argument altogether. Haha!"
What is your reply???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

doorknob

even if knowledge is infinite that is fine. Just because there are a whole lot of things we don't know doesn't mean we disregard what we do know. And what we do know is that the bible had a lot of things wrong. Just based on that alone is enough reason to stop believing in the fairy tale. but there are mountains of evidence out there to safely conclude that it's not very likely that there is a god. 

If we stopped and said well we don't know that means god did it, Just think of how little progress we would make as a species.

GSOgymrat

I distill it to "You atheist think you're so smart but you don't know everything. Only God knows everything!"

SGOS

I would agree it's drivel.  It's just a bunch of words and thoughts that connect to each other rather poorly.  But words and thoughts that barely connect or fail to follow a logical progression, followed "that's why I think atheism is wrong" is not an argument.  I have words and thoughts, therefore butterflies are useless. Haha!  Theologically speaking, this guy is a featherweight among believers.

JBCuzISaidSo

Damn.

I'd ask him to boil his argument down to one cohesive sentence, then when he says 'you can't know everything, so maybe there IS a god', you simply reply "Nuh-uh!", and that means you've totally just won. Best case scenario for carrying on a conversation with that brand of stupid.
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

Unbeliever

QuoteIn my worldview, God holds infinite power, might, and knowledge

What's the difference between infinite power and infinite might?

If God had infinite power (or might), then he'd also be infinitely massive, and even black holes don't have infinite mass. We see nothing in our universe that consists of infinite mass, therefore this particular brand of God does not exist.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 12, 2016, 08:25:34 AM
I distill it to "You atheist think you're so smart but you don't know everything. Only God knows everything!"

Not being prejudicial, but if that is the OP, not a quote by someone else ... then it is obviously immature.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

David this is a very weak (at best) argument for a god of any sort.  Just this part of the quote --"The measure to knowledge is vast and expanded beyond what we can know unless you know the One who holds it. The measure is not how much I know, but how little I know compared to infinite knowledge.", is total hogwash; it makes all kinds of unwarranted assumptions.  We have no idea if knowledge is unlimited or infinite.  And if it is, so what?  This ls like saying that building a 200 story building is so hard why even try?  Why stop trying to learn all that we can?  It will cause no harm and much good.  Only a person or organization that directly benefits ignorance want people to stay ignorant--and that is every religion in the world.  And yes, the measure IS what we know, not what we don't know.  This is just another way of dressing up the same sad old religious thought that if god wants us to have it he will give it to us.  Stupid and self-defeating beyond belief--yet very, very common.

And once again, David--what do you think?  You must have had a reason for posting this.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Duncle

Yeah...it appears to boil down to exactly that.

There isn't really an argument there at all, or at least not a coherent argument.

Johan

In my worldview, God holds infinite power, might, and knowledge.
That's great shecky. My worldview is different. Next.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

doorknob

Yeah that argument is pretty incoherent. I had a lot of trouble just trying to decipher what the authors point was. It seems like he threw in all of his jumbled ideas and the kitchen sink with out really thinking about it. If the author even knows what he was trying to say I'd be surprised.

Mermaid

I distill it to "You think you know, but I KNOW".
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Quote from: doorknob on August 13, 2016, 02:10:23 PM
Yeah that argument is pretty incoherent. I had a lot of trouble just trying to decipher what the authors point was. It seems like he threw in all of his jumbled ideas and the kitchen sink with out really thinking about it. If the author even knows what he was trying to say I'd be surprised.

That is not an uncommon part of the human thought process.  When we attempt to prove something or predict an outcome, we often make strange leaps and bypass stumbling blocks that might prevent us from arriving at a desired conclusion.  When we think, this is easier to do than when we write it down.  That's why writing things down is often helpful in sorting things out.  Although, I can't say it is for this guy.