News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rio 2016

Started by chill98, August 11, 2016, 10:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chill98

I love the summer games!  I wish I had cable or dish so I could pick the events I want to watch but living in the location I do, cable is not an option, besides the nearest cable provider is not on the NBC list.  Not enough coverage of things like Equestrian, Javelin, Discus, martial arts, etc. 

Phelps - love him or hate him, he is going to be regarded as the greatest Olympian of all time.  Currently tied with Leonidas of Rhodes 2000 year old record for the most individual Olympic titles, tonights race could put him ahead of Leonidas.   

Women's gymnastics.  The teams we have had the last few games have been great and this crew is no different.  Simone Biles is a wonder.  Laurie Hernandez and Madison Kocian while not the center of attention this time, both will be part of the force to be reckoned with in 2020.

stromboli

This is the olympics that heralds the collapse of society as we know it. Kayakers hitting submerged sofas. Swimming pools turning green for mysterious reasons. Centuries old records equaled or broken. The end is near.

AllPurposeAtheist

I just can't express how underwhelmed I am by the Olympics anymore. It's been at least 20 years since I gave a rats ass about the entire thing. For me the Olympics represents corruption probably more so than politics and of course it is political and since USA USA USA has never won a badminton medal we're all losers..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

I love the Olympics. But every FUCKING time I have a moment to watch it, women's goddamned beach volleyball is on.
I don't want to see the asscracks of women, I want to watch sports.

Growl.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Shiranu

Only sports I really care about in the summer is volleyball, fencing and... hmmm... ehhhhhh... handball is kinda cool, I guess.

Winter olympics is where it's at... Figure Skating, hockey, more figure skating, more figure skating... okay, I really only like the Winter Olympics for figure skating as well.

Volleyball and figure skating are about the extent of my Olympic interests. I will watch Argentina play basketball though.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mermaid on August 11, 2016, 07:31:44 PM
I love the Olympics. But every FUCKING time I have a moment to watch it, women's goddamned beach volleyball is on.

Growl.
Hmmm................asscracks or sports.  I vote for female asscracks. :)))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

PopeyesPappy

Just watched Phelps win his fourth gold of this Olympics and fourth straight Olympic gold medal in the 200 IM. First swimmer ever to win four straight golds in an individual event. He's probably going to get one more gold in a relay, and has a good chance of another in an individual event. He already has 22 gold medals with a chance at 24.

I don't care who you are, if you like sports or not, or what your opinion of Michael Phelps as a person is. You have to respect his accomplishments as an athlete. If you don't there's something wrong with you.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

PopeyesPappy

Oh... and female asscracks for the win.

chill98

TIE!!

Olympic Record.

USA - Manuel... Canada  Oleiksiak Tie for GOLD!

chill98

Quote from: Mermaid on August 11, 2016, 07:31:44 PM

Growl.

That is kinda frustrating.  Good point.

Shiranu

I haven't seen any beach volleyball yet, but archery (cool in concept, just not something I want to watch), fucking equestrian (seriously, who the fuck cares about a prancing horse? Holy mother of "rich white man" "sports"... what the fuck?) or golf is on. Fuck all dat.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PopeyesPappy

Simone Biles' margin of victory in the women's all around gymnastics competition was more than the margin of victory for the last 9 Olympics combined. That's 1980 through 2012. The girl is good.

SGOS

How about ping pong with he table mounted on water skis that whirls, twirls, and occasionally gets airborne played by guys on surf boards?  I remember back when they didn't have to create a new competition every time some enthusiast with a wild hair got a bright idea for a new Olympic sport.

chill98

Having grown up around and with riding horses, there is no way to really describe the difference between taking a pony ride at a fair to being out on the trail and the partnership between rider and horse.  Technically, the horse is in charge of the riders experience as demonstrated here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCw0AxUkb6Y

Now the one thing I can, from experience point out (not competitive riding), as the rider left the saddle and continued the jump without the horse, the rider experienced a temporary feeling of flight.  It is a very cool feeling, the portion before you hit the ground.  And its not quite the same when you fall off the back side of the horse, that just feels like a fall.  I should mention you get that feeling of flight also when the horse cooperates, but its not quite as intense, but that may be due in part to adrenaline.

Now I can't say from the video whether the horse was making a statement to the rider or not.  My horse, when I fell off, would stop and stay with me, but if my horse threw me with intent, and once in a while she did, she let me know I had done something wrong because she would leave me there and go home.  I had a while to think about what went wrong as I walked back home.

Shiranu -  I do agree with you that the Equestrian portion of the olympics is an expensive sport; limiting the true reflection of a persons/country's skill.  There should be barrel racing!!  But there is more than just Dressage going on and no other sport has the added unknown of a 1,200 lb animal deciding 'I don't wanna'.

chill98

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 12, 2016, 12:05:27 AM
Simone Biles' margin of victory in the women's all around gymnastics competition was more than the margin of victory for the last 9 Olympics combined. That's 1980 through 2012. The girl is good.
And its not because the judges were being soft on anyone.  Biles and Raismans floor exercise are both stunning.