New Or Old Testaments, It Is The Word Of God, Isn't?

Started by Solitary, June 02, 2013, 09:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

:evil:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Colanth

Since when has Christianity been about what's in the Bible?  It's about what's in the mouths of the hierarchy.  (Where in the Bible does it even hint at clergy not being permitted to marry?)  Christianity hasn't been strictly Paulistic since late in the first century.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Hydra009

All those verses are obsolete except the ones that say gays are icky and Obama is the antichrist.   [-(

josephpalazzo

The bible is true, because Gods said so, because that's written in the bible, and don't you forget that.

NitzWalsh

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"The bible is true, because Gods said so, because that's written in the bible, and don't you forget that.

And if you do forget it, there's a special fiery pit where god sends you to be tortured forever.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

Krisyork2008

I like the verse about women in the church. I'd like to put that on Facebook and not say it's from the bible, but just see what kind of responses I get.
Quote from: \"sweetjesus\"you cant push a dog into a pond and it turn into a fish-- evolution is rong. Why we still got monkeys?"?
Quote from: \"GurrenLagann\"Can\'t handle criticism? Find another species. \":)\"
"The catholic church is not a force for good, and fuck you for saying so." - Matt Dillahunty
"The holy spirit can\'t hold a pen." -Russel Brand

Hydra009

Quote from: "Krisyork2008"I like the verse about women in the church. I'd like to put that on Facebook and not say it's from the bible, but just see what kind of responses I get.
Say it's from the Quran then come clean after they react negatively.   :P

Krisyork2008

That's a pretty good idea actually, most people have no idea what's in the bible anyway.
Quote from: \"sweetjesus\"you cant push a dog into a pond and it turn into a fish-- evolution is rong. Why we still got monkeys?"?
Quote from: \"GurrenLagann\"Can\'t handle criticism? Find another species. \":)\"
"The catholic church is not a force for good, and fuck you for saying so." - Matt Dillahunty
"The holy spirit can\'t hold a pen." -Russel Brand

OtterPop

Dare ya.

Post responses here. TYVM.  :P

widdershins

They can easily explain away all that shit.  Here are a few of the excuses I've heard.

Regarding the passages about how to treat your slaves:
QuoteIt was a different time back then.
Regarding the passages about orders no longer followed:
QuoteThat was a commandment delivered specifically to his people back then, not everyone.
Regarding laws no longer followed:
QuoteJesus did away with the old ways when he offered himself up for sacrifice.
They literally have a handful of these that they can whip out for any occasion.  They don't even have to memorize which ones match what.  They just match them up on the spot.  And if they don't have one, they simply make it up on the spot.  Whatever sounds good.  It can be kind of fun if you find a good one to see them scramble to make something up to seal the crack in their faith quick before the sewage they're keeping in with that faith starts to leak out.
This sentence is a lie...

ApostateLois

"Things were different in the Old Testament times" seems to be the catch-all excuse for any discrepancy between the Old and New parts of the Bible. But God is supposed to be the same today as he was back then, so if he does things differently, that means he changed his mind about something; and if he changed in some way, then he is NOT the same. His words can't be trusted, and his promises hold no meaning.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Hydra009"All those verses are obsolete except the ones that say gays are icky and Obama is the antichrist.   [-(

I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.