Author Topic: Have roaches? Milk 'em!  (Read 685 times)

Offline Unbeliever (OP)

Have roaches? Milk 'em!
« on: July 30, 2016, 03:13:27 PM »
I knew about insects being good for food, but this!?

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-show-why-we-should-all-start-drinking-cockroach-milk

I guess future generations needn't worry about starving... :beachbooze:
God Not Found
"Never criticize someone unless you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then when you criticize him at least you'll be a mile away - and you'll have his shoes."
Ray Magliozzi
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted at all."

Online Shiranu

Re: Have roaches? Milk 'em!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 03:17:13 PM »
Lawrdy
"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion..." - Nelson Mandela

"Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be." - Miguel de Cervantes

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »
Breeding American cockroaches in China?  Why not oriental roaches?  At least the oriental ones can't fly.

And while bug nutrition shows some promise, especially to non-European people who don't have a taboo on bug-eating, cockroaches seems like a weird choice.  There are sanitation risks (roaches are only as clean as their habitat), they can be difficult to corral (in the video, they're crawling everywhere) and the crunchy shell can be unappealing.  Why not use mealworms instead?

Offline Unbeliever (OP)

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:38:31 PM »
Yeah, I bet it's hard to milk those little suckers!
God Not Found
"Never criticize someone unless you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then when you criticize him at least you'll be a mile away - and you'll have his shoes."
Ray Magliozzi
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted at all."

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 11:42:39 PM »
Breeding American cockroaches in China?  Why not oriental roaches?  At least the oriental ones can't fly.

And while bug nutrition shows some promise, especially to non-European people who don't have a taboo on bug-eating, cockroaches seems like a weird choice.  There are sanitation risks (roaches are only as clean as their habitat), they can be difficult to corral (in the video, they're crawling everywhere) and the crunchy shell can be unappealing.  Why not use mealworms instead?

Cow milk is a sanitation risk. that is why it is pasteurized and filtered and all that other shit. Cow milk in a bucket- I've milked cows back in the day- is full of some icky stuff, which is why it is filtered and run through sterile processing.

Daresay if you didn't know the source, you'd probably be pretty happy if it tasted ok.

Offline doorknob

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 01:28:45 AM »
gross. I don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon. I'd have to be really hungry.