Black Christians - Why do they exist?

Started by Blackleaf, July 30, 2016, 09:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

Cocoa Beware

I'd argue that black Muslims make even less sense. It was common practise for Muslims to castrate their black slaves, and to this day they are seen as sub-human.

I would guess that people like Malcolm X and Muhammed Ali knew next to nothing about this, and this idea that black people consider the banner of Islam to be a sensible rallying point is actually painfully ironic.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cocoa Beware on July 30, 2016, 07:39:39 PM
...and this idea that black people consider the banner of Islam to be a sensible rallying point is actually painfully ironic.

It's only as ironic as them using a Christian banner. Or banners of other groups from religious to secular groups in the US making propaganda on democracy, human rights and freedom to support the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. There are tons of people who think the latest invasions -and so others lol- were carried out to bring democracy to foreign regions and that they refused it because they are just anti-american and bent on destroying democratic source of the world,lol, while the peoples of those regions are not even regarded as humans; and the Christian culture dictated those wars for countless other benefits.

-They are both minorities
-They are both treated with strong bias
-most of the people in islamic groups are nonwhite or black

Evertywhere around the world minorities of different sorts unite in certain climates when their causes fits. 

There is nothing extra to it.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Freeslave

In answer to the original query as to why blacks would adopt the religion of those who brutally kill and torture them...?
Perhaps they perceive that all who claim to be Christian do not act in keeping with their stated beliefs. Thus, the views held must be evaluated upon their own merit, rather than by the actions of those who lay claim to them.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Freeslave on July 31, 2016, 07:12:57 PM
In answer to the original query as to why blacks would adopt the religion of those who brutally kill and torture them...?
Perhaps they perceive that all who claim to be Christian do not act in keeping with their stated beliefs. Thus, the views held must be evaluated upon their own merit, rather than by the actions of those who lay claim to them.
What????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Freeslave

By "What?" I assume you mean you don't understand my previous post.  What part can I help clarify?

Shiranu

As for African Americans and Islam, a huge amount of them converted in prison... they make easier targets, and are people more susceptible to messages of salvation and (for them at the time) something "different" from their captors religion, something rebellious. I doubt the average African American in prison had the slightest clue what Islam did to their ancestors in prison, nor cared.

As for celebrities... Islam can be presented in many different ways, just like Christianity or any other cult; something or beauty, or something of horror. I assume they were presented with the watered down Islam and the "nice" parts, since that's what the majority of Muslims here in the U.S. follow. If they were to have gone to Arabia or Sudan to experience Islam, it's quite likely they wouldn't have converted.

That said, Islam claims to not care about race and only the level of one's piety. You can imagine how enticing that sounded to people who were just started to be recognized as actual human beings by some of society, and still animals to the majority. Of course, one look at the living conditions at the Hajj show that not all Muslims are created equal... but without the internet, that would be nearly impossible to know.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Freeslave on July 31, 2016, 11:03:10 PM
By "What?" I assume you mean you don't understand my previous post.  What part can I help clarify?

Your username is suspiciously convenient for the topic...
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Draconic Aiur

everything mr phatmatt

SGOS

This part:  In answer to the original query as to why blacks would adopt the religion of those who brutally kill and torture them...?

Actually, this is not a problem for me.  When things don't make sense, I just ignore them.  But others have this silly expectation that coherent posts are necessary if one wishes to participate in a discussion.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Freeslave on July 31, 2016, 07:12:57 PM

Okay, Freeslave, this is what I don't understand.  I'm confused as to the point you are trying to make.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Freeslave

You mentioned that my statement is incoherent.  I fail to see how so, but I apologize for the confusion.  Perhaps if I phrase the same statement in another way it might be of some help:

Maybe they understand that all who say they are Christians don't necessarily act in accordance with Christian principles.  Therefore, Christian views should be judged by the teachings themselves, instead of judging Christianity on the basis of the deeds of people who do not act at all like Christians, even though they claim to be.
Hope this helps.  :)

Mike Cl

Quote from: Freeslave on August 01, 2016, 11:12:16 AM

Maybe they understand that all who say they are Christians don't necessarily act in accordance with Christian principles.  Therefore, Christian views should be judged by the teachings themselves, instead of judging Christianity on the basis of the deeds of people who do not act at all like Christians, even though they claim to be.
I see.  The problem arises in that just exactly what are 'Christian principles' or what are the real 'teachings themselves'???  And I would suggest that 'real Christians' exist mainly in the eye of the beholder.  It is all subjective.  We are talking about a group that cannot even come to agreement about how to baptize--or if that is even necessary. 

Baruch

Quote from: Freeslave on August 01, 2016, 11:12:16 AM
You mentioned that my statement is incoherent.  I fail to see how so, but I apologize for the confusion.  Perhaps if I phrase the same statement in another way it might be of some help:

That was Gandhi's opinion also.  Someone asked him what he thought of Christianity ... he replied it seemed to be a good idea, too bad it hadn't been tried ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

To clarify about Black Islam in the US.  Originally this is a Black urban cult, loosely attached to actual Islam, that involved a cult of personality of its leader, Elijah Muhammad ... who may have killed the guy who first thought it up, before it became popular.  Malcolm X and Farrakhan were in a contest to rule the cult after Elijah Muhammad.  Malcolm X was then assassinated ... by agents of Farrakhan according to Malcom X's daughter.  Or maybe the FBI.  Anyway, Farrakhan seemed to have taken credit for it, to impress Elijah Muhammad.  Meanwhile, Malcolm X had just discovered non-racist Islam, while on Hajj, and realized that Elijah Muhammad was a crazed cult leader.  Farrakhan took the place of Elijah Muhammad, when the fearless leader passed on.  But 2/3 of African-American Muslims, had heard the call of Malcolm X, and followed him into regular Islam, connected to Mecca, not Harlem.  Islam in the US in unique, unlike any other, because of its special history.

But I agree, until the 1960s, few Black Muslims had studied outside the madressahs of Nation of Islam.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.