Friend switched religions four times, is he going to three different hells?

Started by Gawdzilla Sama, July 29, 2016, 09:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

He tried a few and didn't find a fit, then settled on Buddhism (yeah, I know, "not a religion". Smells like one.)

Anyway, is he going to three different hells for not staying with those religions?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Look at the bright side of the glass half full.  He could end up going to three different Heavens.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 29, 2016, 10:04:11 AM
Look at the bright side of the glass half full.  He could end up going to three different Heavens.
Not a chance in hell. I've partied with him. He'd prefer hell over heaven any day.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Well I was a Mormon and a Christian, so at the last minute I'm going to repent and also become a Muslim. Trade off between 72 virgins, a few dozen plural wives and dinner with Jesus. A guy's gotta take a break.

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on July 29, 2016, 10:22:05 AM
Well I was a Mormon and a Christian, so at the last minute I'm going to repent and also become a Muslim. Trade off between 72 virgins, a few dozen plural wives and dinner with Jesus. A guy's gotta take a break.

Yep, no sex in Heaven if you're a Baptist, probably more as a Mormon, but just a constant fornification factory if you're a Muslim.  Don't laugh.  Heaven's ecstasy is directly proportional to how filthy minded and depraved you are.  It's easy to see why Islam is the fastest growing religion.  Having your priorities straight, you get more "bang" for your buck.

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on July 29, 2016, 10:52:21 AM
Yep, no sex in Heaven if you're a Baptist, probably more as a Mormon, but just a constant fortification factory if you're a Muslim.  Don't laugh.  Heaven's ecstasy is directly proportional to how filthy minded and depraved you are.  It's easy to see why Islam is the fastest growing religion.  Having your priorities straight, you get more "bang" for your buck.

Being an apostate I won't probably rate a planet but one of my wife's friends never got sealed to anyone in the temple. She flirted with me a little bit once. I'm gonna bang her brains out. 

widdershins

My clone is going to accept Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior when Yahweh creates it on judgement day to replace me, since we have no souls and all.  Man, Jehovah's Witnesses are fucking weird!  Even for Christians.
This sentence is a lie...

Draconic Aiur

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 29, 2016, 02:57:29 PM
Buddhism is a religion, they have gods.

Only their gods aren't assholes, like the ones the Abrahamics worship.

Per the OP ... as a Buddhist he can be a different religion in each reincarnation.  You can go to Hell in Buddhism too, if you are reincarnated as a demon.  But demons like it in Hell.  Trying different religions is very empirical, and thus Buddhist.  He is in the right place I think, per his original nature.  Most other religions don't tolerate seekers ... Buddhism is all about being a seeker your whole life.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Yesterday, NPR rebroadcast an interview from a few years ago, with a fundamentalist preacher who died this week.  I can't recall his name, but he cofounded the moral majority.  He related an incident during a trip he took to the holy land, where he was walking from one holy thing to another when he met an entourage surrounding none other than the Dali Lama.  They shook hands, and he said to the Dali, "If you haven't learned about Jesus, I'd be happy to spend an hour with you explaining about how he loves you, and explain to you how you can allow Jesus to lead you into his Kingdom of Heaven."  He added that one of his entourage quickly told him that the Dali Lama was very busy, and wouldn't have time.  The preacher graciously added to the NPR interview, "I believe that the Dali really believed in his own religion and was very sincere man."

I was taken by not only the depth of arrogance of the preacher, but also by his ignorant assumption that the  Dali Lama needed to learn about Jesus from a half wit preacher half his stature.  Terry Gross, the interviewer, was polite to the preacher, but would often ask questions along the lines of, "Tell us about the Rapture, and flying up into the sky leaving little piles of clothes and jewelry behind, and that sort of 'stuff'."  The preacher would then go on to seriously explain in great detail various aspects of that sort of stuff.   The embarrassing part of this was that he had no idea he sounded like such a twit.  So much for Christian humility.

Baruch

The Dalai Lama is the real thing, but don't tell the atheists ;-o  Even more holy than the current Pope.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Lemme think.  I started off Roman Catholic, drifted into a sort of Christian Unitarianism/Deism, into Wicca, into quantum mechanics-informed Discordianism, and finally into Atheism.  I think to date, I've been Wiccan longer than I've been anything else.  I can't say I was Catholic much past the age of 15 or 16 (1979-1980), became Wiccan in 1984, wandered into Discordianism in '01 or 02, and finally to Atheism in late 2004.  So I'm slowly catching up... do I get to pick which Hell I go to?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on September 01, 2016, 11:25:17 PM
Lemme think.  I started off Roman Catholic, drifted into a sort of Christian Unitarianism/Deism, into Wicca, into quantum mechanics-informed Discordianism, and finally into Atheism.  I think to date, I've been Wiccan longer than I've been anything else.  I can't say I was Catholic much past the age of 15 or 16 (1979-1980), became Wiccan in 1984, wandered into Discordianism in '01 or 02, and finally to Atheism in late 2004.  So I'm slowly catching up... do I get to pick which Hell I go to?
No, you go to the Hell of Being Hung Upside down. At least until that truck driver get there to save you.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Many hells and many heavens in Buddhsm.  Why settle for just one?  Spiritual Pokémon Go ... gotta collect the all!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.