News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Horror Movies

Started by Draconic Aiur, July 28, 2016, 03:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

I love a good thrill even for an atheist (kinda weird). Holy shit supernatural movies are crazy but biblical movies are scarier and when I'm watching them I try to use christian symbols and praying  sometimes. Is that weird for an atheist?

Hydra009

Old habits die hard, I suppose.  Also, there's nothing wrong with liking supernatural movies.

It's been a long time since I've seen an actual horror movie.  Mostly, I just watch movies with werewolves/vampires/zombies/ghosts/etc but in an action or comedy context instead of a horror context (Underworld, Queen of the Damned, Evil Dead, What We Do in the Shadows).

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 28, 2016, 03:51:04 AM
Old habits die hard, I suppose.  Also, there's nothing wrong with liking supernatural movies.

It's been a long time since I've seen an actual horror movie.  Mostly, I just watch movies with werewolves/vampires/zombies/ghosts/etc but in an action or comedy context instead of a horror context (Underworld, Queen of the Damned, Evil Dead, What We Do in the Shadows).

Watch ones with demons....

SGOS

I'm not much into horror movies, but I will watch one occasionally if a review implies a quality of "something different".  Poltergeists, evil entities, gods, or demons are all from the same place in our psyche.  If the theme of the horror is extracted from the Bible and if it can be used for a good scare then it's fair game.  The first Exorcist movie was a great example of Biblical bullshit put to a good use, and it also added to the nations economic growth.  Almost all good horror comes from the imagination where the memes defy reality.  In fact, horror depends on the suspension of reality most of the time.

Being an atheist only means you differentiate reality from imagination, it doesn't mean you can't have one without the other.

GSOgymrat

I don't typically care for horror movies. I hate seeing people get hurt and I tend to avoid movies that have a lot of realistic violence, torture and gore. I would never see a "Saw" movie. The worst for me is videos of people actually getting killed, which I actively avoid.

stromboli

I don't have any personal fears of phobias, and lacking any religious belief, there is almost noting I think of as scary. I can be startled by horror movies but not frightened. I don't watch them.

Munch

I love a good horror movie. You could argue that being an atheist means you don't believe in anything supernatural so why would you be afraid of anything in the movies. To me thats like saying you don't like cartoons because you know they are made up characters in a fantasy setting, or don't like games for the same reason.

I've watched a lot of horror movies, and I've seen so many crap ones, ones that are so bad their good, and ones that are just awful with nothing redeemable. But sometimes I find and add to my connection of really good, well written horror movies. Ones like the Babadook for example, has a lot of layers to it, making you question the reality of whats happening in the movie. The conjuring was a well directed and creepy movie. Insidious was just fun in a horror movie ride kind of way or like a thrill ride.

I think the horror movies that linger with me the most are the ones with more psychological elements of human suffering, ones like the original chainsaw massacre, or .. forgot its name, is a japanese horror movie of a woman torturing another person in a sack. Or Hostel. Movies like that last with me more because you can imagine those kinds of horror happening in the real world, and makes me shudder sometimes thinking about it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 28, 2016, 04:13:58 AM
Watch ones with demons....
Demon Knight is one of my favorites with demons.  Dunno if I'd call it horror, though I guess it had some scary moments.  It was strangely hilarious, to be honest.

Michael M Perez

the latest I watched is lights out. Not so scary. I found my friends clinging to Bible and spiritual symbols

Gawdzilla Sama

I love crappy horror movies.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

I personally recommend "The Babadook." The kid gets to be a bit annoying, intentionally so for the plot, but it's one of the few horror movies that actually scared me when I first saw it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 13, 2016, 02:05:52 AM
I personally recommend "The Babadook." The kid gets to be a bit annoying, intentionally so for the plot, but it's one of the few horror movies that actually scared me when I first saw it.

Same, loved that movie, especially the main actress and her role.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Pontypool. English is a disease.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

I'm not a big fan of horror movies, but I love the camp ones like the Phibes movies.  I had the great good fortune recently to see 'Theatre of Blood' and 'The Tingler' at a local theater hosted by local legend Fritz the Night Owl (and picked up a copy of the remastered Metropolis and had him autograph it).  In October, Fritz will be hosting Rocky Horror for the first time; Evil Twin is going to use that as his opportunity to introduce his daughter to the RHPS phenomenon.  My friends are raising their kids right.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Hearing good things about a South Korean movie now in theaters there, "Train to Busan". The whole train is infected with a zombie virus except for the first car. Do you let people into that car if they say they're not infected and are trying to escape from the zombies or not?
PZ Myers