News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I heard most atheists are autistic

Started by Abel2, July 25, 2016, 03:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abel2

Maybe apathy is the key point to why so many are atheists. Since religions is about altruism while atheism its like "Everything is allowed, nothing is wrong" type of non profit organization, and it subject itself to subjectiveness of no rules that way, atleast not to what their non believing god given right leads them to atleast.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Abel2 on July 25, 2016, 03:02:07 AM
Maybe apathy is the key point to why so many are atheists. Since religions is about altruism while atheism its like "Everything is allowed, nothing is wrong" type of non profit organization, and it subject itself to subjectiveness of no rules that way, atleast not to what their non believing god given right leads them to atleast.
Religion is not about altruism. It's about control. Control over people, control over the weather, even control over your own mind and body. Altruism in religion, just like prayer, is just a means to an end.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Johan

You seem to have both religion and atheism nailed. At least you got the non profit part right.*

*Warning: May contain sarcasm
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Gawdzilla Sama

I think this one's not going to be here long. Unless the chew toy box is nearly empty, that is.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

QuoteI heard most atheists are autistic

Yes,yes.  This is well documented in all the literature.  But I'd be interested in knowing your specific source.

Duncle

Its well known that autism, or at least the diagnosis of autism, has been increasing since the 1970s throughout the Western world.

Its also well documented that the proportion of the population that identifies as atheist is increasing throughout the Western world.

So...It follows logically from this that the two must by causally connected. Either autism causes atheism or vice versa. My personal hunch is that causation is the opposite of what the OP claims. That is: Autism is caused by doubting the existence of God. The most plausible hypothesis is that pregnant women who have doubts about God somehow turn their unborn babies autistic.

Makes sense to me.

widdershins

I'm not sure about that.  I do know that atheists, on average, are smarter than non atheists.  There have been many studies showing that.  Those same studies also show that smarter people are also generally more liberal.  And as I'm sure you know, liberals are hardly "apathetic".  They want to save and help EVERYONE.  So, if being smarter makes you more likely to be atheist AND liberal, and part of being liberal is being LESS apathetic, that pretty much shoots your whole idea down right there.

Actually, good old common sense easily tells you that it is the religious who are far too often more apathetic.  It's not uncommon for religious people around the world to think that the death penalty is a fair punishment for disagreeing with them philosophically.  Many, many religious lead nations around the world have various punishments for not having the majority religious beliefs or speaking out against them.  Pastors in America routinely call for the death penalty for gays.  Jackasses routinely come in here and, not knowing a single one of us, proceed to tell us how bad we are and try to pick a fight with total strangers based solely on the fact that we do not hold their religious views.  So religious people are DEFINITELY more apathetic, and I think I could make a damned good case for more neurotic as well here.
This sentence is a lie...

Gawdzilla Sama

If you don't sacrifice a goat to Baal your babies will be autistic. Simple claws and effect relationship there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Flanker1Six

I've always attributed mine to my inability to completely wrap myself in aluminum foil (shiny side out---mostly prevents the FedGov agents "autism rays" from contacting any of my skin).  :(

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Fickle

QuoteMaybe apathy is the key point to why so many are atheists. Since religions is about altruism while atheism its like "Everything is allowed, nothing is wrong" type of non profit organization, and it subject itself to subjectiveness of no rules that way, atleast not to what their non believing god given right leads them to atleast.

Psychologically religion is to people what a pacifier is to babies.

Religion is not about altruism, religious adults believe in imaginary friends just as children do for exactly the same reasons. They believe to ward off a deeply rooted fear of the unknown, a lack of control or a sense of hopelessness in their lives. If nothing else religion is selfish because it is essentially a form of denial in regards to reality which is forced on others to reinforce the extent of the denial.

As if to say, forcing my personal flavor of crazy on others makes it more acceptable to me because it lends it more credibility when in reality none is present. At the end of the day you still believe in fairies and unicorns not matter how you slice it.

Religion is the adult version of a pacifier.

Mike Cl

You would make a great theist.  Theists don't like thinking, only believing.  So, why not just shut up and keep reading your catholic propaganda believe it is true and leave it at that?  I think you are a self made idiot.  But you may believe what you want.  Or go whine to your stand-in daddies--your wonderful and well informed priests.  They have all the answers--which is shut up, listen and we will tell you what to believe and what to have 'faith' in. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shukhov

Maybe apathy is the key point to why so many are atheists.

Or rather ability to see past the bullshit of religion and not being satisfied with whatever nonsensical answers said religion offers.

Quote from: Abel2 on July 25, 2016, 03:02:07 AMSince religions is about altruism while atheism its like "Everything is allowed, nothing is wrong" type of non profit organization, and it subject itself to subjectiveness of no rules that way, atleast not to what their non believing god given right leads them to atleast.

Religion is about altruism? Since when? As for everything is allowed shit - it was stupid when Dostoyevsky wrote it and it didn't became smarter with age.
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

George Santayana.

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth".

Mikhail Bakunin.

mauricio

I actually think there can likely be a link between skepticism, introspection and decision making which prioritizes careful analysis over intuition with some disorders like depression and anxiety disorder. I was in an LSD trip some months ago where I experimented strong anxiety and I had interesting revelations about it's nature. It seemed to be linked with the capacity to project yourself to the future and using abstractions in your mind to carefully plan the execution of your actions. When this planning becomes extremely granular in which you are planning increasingly tinier fractions of an action you start impairing the execution by overthinking it and causing yourself stress. I think that is anxiety.