News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Affirmative Action ?

Started by EntirelyOfThisWorld, February 17, 2013, 11:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EntirelyOfThisWorld

Lets face it.  The right, in particular the republican and tea parties, have an image issue with minorities.  Witness the rapid reversal on immigration policy.  It is rather ironic that given the blatant racism coming from those quarters that they are adamant in pointing out the "large numbers" of black republicans and tea partiers.

Michael Steel, and Condeleeza Rice come to mind.  Steel is totally clueless when it comes to the daily lives of America's urban blacks.  Rice was a democrat who converted to republicanism at the beginning of the Reagan administration.  This also coincided with her entry into public service and her writing things about the threat posed by the Soviets,  which did not stand up to academic rigor, or the test of history, yet were exactly what the Reagan team wanted to hear.  They also needed a black face to demonstrate how egalitarian they were.

Colin Powell was willing to lie about yellow cake uranium to justify the Iraq war.  He was aware of the Joe Wilson report when he did it.

A twisted form of Affirmative Action is the only way I can explain it.
Freedom is Free.  It\'s included in Democracy.  Democracy is Hard.  It involves coexisting with people who think that sayings like "Freedom is not Free" actually makes some kind of sense.

Jmpty

I think it has more to do with an opportunity to stand out by joining the Republican party.
???  ??

Thumpalumpacus

I don't trust politicians, regardless of their party affiliation or complexion.

As for the Republicans, they've already lost the battle for the "minority" vote in America (minority in scare quotes because non-whites aren't the minority in many places).  Rightly or wrongly, the illegal immigration issue has been conflated with race to such an extent that Democrats are easily able to paste the charge of "racism"  on their Republican opponent, and have done so with some success.

I've seen racially-insensitive liberals, too.  I think racism has more to do with being uneducated than it does with being one party or the other.
<insert witty aphorism here>

GodvReligion

I see your point for political move 30 years ago, but I think we have come a pretty long way since the days of MLK, and even 30 years ago.  I think today getting a minority on your team isn't so much about affirmative action as it is that they are truly believed to be the right person.  The charges of racism today are, as thumpalumpacus pointed out, a charge in order to discredit an opponent.

bennyboy

Quote from: "GodvReligion"I see your point for political move 30 years ago, but I think we have come a pretty long way since the days of MLK, and even 30 years ago.  I think today getting a minority on your team isn't so much about affirmative action as it is that they are truly believed to be the right person.  The charges of racism today are, as thumpalumpacus pointed out, a charge in order to discredit an opponent.
Uh huh.
Insanity is the only sensible response to the universe.  The sane are just making stuff up.