Why it's important to be honest about the Ghostbusters remake

Started by PickelledEggs, July 23, 2016, 03:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

QuoteIt was a brilliant marketing move, ensuring that critics were too terrified to give it an honest (bad) review.

Apparently not brilliant enough, since it has gotten alot of "meh" to bad reviews.

QuoteMedia outlets and SJW twits on social media clamped on to the idea, ensuring that it became impossible for a man to dislike the movie for any reason other than that he hates women.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Just watched it. It actually isn't HORRIBLE. It isn't good, but at least it was better than the Warcraft movie. I'd rate it a 3.5.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on July 24, 2016, 05:29:52 PM
Apparently not brilliant enough, since it has gotten alot of "meh" to bad reviews.

I think the trailer disappointed a lot of folks, which prompted hardcore social justice types to jump on them because, "u just haet teh wimminz." This then prompted anti-SJWs to jump on the bandwagon simply because their opponents picked a side.

All this for a mediocre title that likely would have flown under the radar otherwise.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

mauricio

Quote from: aitm on July 23, 2016, 10:32:34 PM
14 minutes? On a movie review? Somebody spent 14 minutes reviewing a remake of a third rate movie and you guys spent 14 minutes watching it?  LOL…..oy

better than investing 1,5+ hours and money on a shitty movie. You know, the whole point of reviews?

jakeeey

Sounds to me like this flick has caused quite the triggering!

That aside.. a Ghostbusters with an all-women lineup instead of the original lineup of boys with their toys?  I mean.. really?  Shall we also have a female Rocky, or replace Michael Knight with a blonde hottie?

Ok, so let's apply some equality, then, and remake, say, Bridesmaids and replace all the female characters with men and swap-out Melissa McCarthy with Jason Mews (irony alert).

SJW's can rejoice!

Just sayin'.

Jake ;[size=78%])[/size]
Get busy living or get busy dying.

mauricio

Quote from: jakeeey on July 24, 2016, 07:08:26 PM
Sounds to me like this flick has caused quite the triggering!

That aside.. a Ghostbusters with an all-women lineup instead of the original lineup of boys with their toys?  I mean.. really?  Shall we also have a female Rocky, or replace Michael Knight with a blonde hottie?

Ok, so let's apply some equality, then, and remake, say, Bridesmaids and replace all the female characters with men and swap-out Melissa McCarthy with Jason Mews (irony alert).

SJW's can rejoice!

Just sayin'.

Jake ;[size=78%])[/size]

female rocky would promote violence against women obviously it cannot be allowed. Like that problematic poster of Apocalypse choking Mystique. (http://reason.com/blog/2016/06/03/is-this-x-men-apocalypse-poster-really-p)

PickelledEggs

Quote from: mauricio on July 24, 2016, 07:02:57 PM
better than investing 1,5+ hours and money on a shitty movie. You know, the whole point of reviews?

I just watched it.
I still don't think it's worth the money for a movie ticket. If it comes to netflix, it would be worth a watch. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again, but I think it's worth a one-time watch. for free. It's not as horrible as people said it was, and this is coming from me, someone who was adamantly against it.

aitm

Quote from: mauricio on July 24, 2016, 07:02:57 PM
If you life your life by other peoples opinions..then…well….good for you.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 23, 2016, 10:17:35 PM
Yes. Similarly with the gaming industry and all these remasters. Bethesda is even doing it now. Skyrim hd? how about work on a new game

They perpetuate each other.

They are working on a new game. The next Elder Scrolls game won't come out for "many years," according to Tod Howard, though. They seem to be working on creating the means to even use the ideas they have in mind for TESVI. So to fill in the gap and tide over fans, they made an improved version of the game for the modern systems, with mod support for console versions. Very likely, they took the improved engine of Fallout 4 and applied it to Skyrim. Because I'm a PC player with all of the mods, I'll get Skyrim Remastered for free. I'm just waiting to see if people will be willing to put forth the effort of reworking their mods for the new version. The main incentive for PC players is better performance, with the improved graphics taking over for the mods that dropped the frame rate in the original version.

But anyway, back to the new Ghostbusters... I haven't seen it and don't ever plan to see it. In my opinion, there are only two legitimate reasons to do a remake:

1. Improved technology allows Hollywood to better tell the story.

2. The writers have new ideas to improve on the original concept, or to at least keep it fresh.

Many people didn't like the glowy CGI ghosts. This seems to be up to the individual to decide which version had the "better" look. As for new ideas, the only thing they've got is "we've genderbent all of the original characters." Sorry, but that's just a stupid idea, and it's not enough to keep things fresh and interesting. Judging from what others have said, this movie is either average or terrible, so I'm not going to bother. The only reason for this movie to exist is to make money off of the popular franchise.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

GSOgymrat

Quote from: jakeeey on July 24, 2016, 07:08:26 PM
That aside.. a Ghostbusters with an all-women lineup instead of the original lineup of boys with their toys?  I mean.. really?  Shall we also have a female Rocky?

Million Dollar Baby

mauricio

Quote from: aitm on July 24, 2016, 08:18:22 PM
If you life your life by other peoples opinions..then…well….good for you.

it's clear you do not understand the point of reviews. A good review is more than just "me likey!" I have a very peculiar taste and access to so much media that I hate wasting time on things that ultimately disappoint. So i search for reviews which are detailed descriptions of the aesthetic, tropes and themes to quickly make an analysis of what the content  is most likely going to be to determine whether I should give it a shot or move on to the other millions pieces of culture which exist out there.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 24, 2016, 11:52:58 PM
Million Dollar Baby
That was on my to-watch list for a long time and then I forgot about it. I heard it was really good. Maybe I'll watch it tomorow

SGOS

I read reviews mostly for their entertainment value.  I started out reading them a few years ago looking for help in deciding what movie I would watch, but now I treat them more like idle gossip.  I look to them because they're entertaining, but only marginally helpful.  To some degree, my impressions match up with reviews.  If a movie is over 90%, there's a chance that I'll like it.  If it's under 10%, probably not, but not necessarily.  And I factor in the likelihood of payola and hype.  There seems to be a lot of bullshit in reviews, but it's still kind of interesting to read people's reasons for liking a or not liking a movie.  But at best, reviews offer a rough guide to the quality of entertainment.

Ghostbusters reminds me of Hillary Clinton, and to a lesser extent Donald Trump, It seems to be centered in some kind of weird controversy that is following it everywhere, and it involves factors which may or may not be relevant to the quality of the film itself.  It carries around of cloud of disapproval and people are focusing on the cloud, rather than the film.   And this thing about female ghost busters and the message it sends about empowerment strikes me as ultimately silly.  Whether or not it's an entertaining film has been lost.

I would recommend viewing it as a comedy.  You're better off going to it cold without the reviews.  Just grab a large popcorn and settle into your seat, and see how many chuckles it gives you.  If it doesn't give you any, it wasn't a movie for you.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 25, 2016, 08:02:49 AMI read reviews mostly for their entertainment value.  I started out reading them a few years ago looking for help in deciding what movie I would watch, but now I treat them more like idle gossip.  I look to them because they're entertaining, but only marginally helpful.  To some degree, my impressions match up with reviews.  If a movie is over 90%, there's a chance that I'll like it.  If it's under 10%, probably not, but not necessarily.  And I factor in the likelihood of payola and hype.  There seems to be a lot of bullshit in reviews, but it's still kind of interesting to read people's reasons for liking a or not liking a movie.  But at best, reviews offer a rough guide to the quality of entertainment.
I prefer video reviews over text reviews, which might seem strange coming from a guy who communicates primarily by text, so hear me out.  I used to whip out the newspaper and read the reviews and here's basically what I'd see:

Quote from: stereotypical review
Wharf Werewolf howls at Box Office

The legendary mangy monstrosity clawed its way to the top of the weekend US box office, leaping to $59.6m in the Midatlantic states alone in just 13.95 days, knocking White Powder Fever from the #1 spot, according to studio estimates last sennight.

Director Donatello di et Fortuno had this to say:  "I'm pleased my movie did well."

Et Fortuno's most daring film yet; Ben Affleck was a tour de force in this mysterious murder mystery.  Powerful performances.  4/5 stars.
All this really tells me is that 1) this is a murder mystery 2) it sold a lot of tickets 3) he/she liked Ben Affleck's acting and liked the movie.

With video reviews, I get a more comprehensive review in a format that much more closely resembles plain english.  I can pick up emotions from the person's tone.  I can follow a couple reviewers with tastes similar to me whose judgment I trust rather than whoever the newspaper picked to write a review.  And I can listen to the review while gaming, so even lengthy reviews aren't much of an imposition for me.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 25, 2016, 11:44:16 AM
With video reviews, I get a more comprehensive review in a format that much more closely resembles plain english.

I've only watched a few video reviews (well... does Siskel and Ebert count?), and I haven't thought about how well they mirrored my own perceptions of the movie, not very well come to think of it, but probably at least as well as written reviews.  One thing, I've wondered about is what it takes to be a movie critic?  If you work for a newspaper, the first qualification would seem to be writing skills, or at least at one time that would have been true.  In the written example you used, the writer flows along well enough, and he does offer a kind of wordsmith flair, but I agree that he doesn't have a whole Hell of a lot to say.  Actually, I'm suspicious that he's more of a pitchman than a seriously reviewer.