Takei: "Why I Love the Country That Once Betrayed Me"

Started by Shiranu, July 30, 2016, 04:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

I had never heard of the 442 before. The entire speech is intense.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Japenese Americans joining the army after the atrocities they suffered is an act done to protect their families, stop the hostile treatment they recieve. It's a pretty smart solution too, good for them. It's also related to their cultural codes like honour...etc. There is no way out, nothing. they can't go back, they suffer where they live.

It's not about understanding the ideals and victory of American democracy or heroes. It's survival in real life. Adapting.

These kind of speeches are harmful. It's the same old useless propaganda people are being bombarded all the time. Ideals, democracy, freedom, heroes... nothing about reality.

Bullshit. Politics. Talk.

E: (I like Takei, it is not a personal thing I am expressing.)

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Japanese Americans are smart fortune cookies.  E Asians in general are.  I used to be an honorary Japanese American ... and have studied Japanese culture avidly since I was 10 years old.  I knew a Korean Americans in the military recently ... scary good.  Confucianism and good breeding over millennia.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.