About Mrs Trumps wifes speech..

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, July 19, 2016, 02:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Or you can choose any one of 17 from the complete Michael Jackson line.

Hijiri Byakuren

Melania's speech is like watching a Barbie doll try to convince me it's a real woman.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Flanker1Six

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 20, 2016, 08:03:19 PM
Melania's speech is like watching a Barbie doll try to convince me it's a real woman.

Actually; this is closer.  Speaking of animated Barbies.......................WTF is up with Tiffany T?

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/broadway-star-laura-benanti-does-seriously-175723048.html

This shit would actually be funny.........................if it wasn't my country!  I could use a drink, or ten. 

Flanker1Six

I KNEW they were zombies.........................they've infected each other! 

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/plagiarism-wasnt-donald-trump-jr-044920318.html

Am I the only one who finds this entire Royal Trump Family on Parade thing creepy and offensive?   Didn't we fight a 6-8 year war with Great Britain to get out from under a Royal Family?   Gggggggrrrrrr!!!!!!!

If Don can't sell his own shit......................who can?     How about a testimonial from the Trump Cat?   

Hydra009

FaithIsFilth

Meh. This is completely normal and just something that happens in politics, all the time. Obama's plagiarism was far worse since he was actually the one that was running, but I don't care a bit about that either. It happens all the time.

SGOS

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on July 21, 2016, 01:28:46 AM
Meh. This is completely normal and just something that happens in politics, all the time. Obama's plagiarism was far worse since he was actually the one that was running, but I don't care a bit about that either. It happens all the time.

I agree that stuff like this is normal in politics. Lying, plagiarizing, promising, impossible things, misrepresenting yourself, and telling people what they want to hear all falls under the umbrella of dishonesty.   It's exactly what is wrong with politics.  I care about it. 

Now if you are telling me I shouldn't lose sleep over it because there's nothing I can do to stop it, then I would agree.  If you are telling me that this type of behavior is typical of both parties, I would somewhat agree to that too.  If you are telling me that this is no worse than what Hillary would do, I agree.  If you are telling me it wasn't Melania's fault, I would say well, yes and no.  Maybe Melania was nothing more than a dupe for her husband.  But I care, and I'm actually insulted by the dishonesty and misrepresentation that pervades our system of governance.

FaithIsFilth

Yes, lying is lying, but this is more of a harmless lie. I actually like what Barack Obama did when he copied other people's words. He copied some really good stuff, like the "Just words" speech. Do I care that Barack or his speech writers took inspiration from some speeches they saw and copied huge chunks of the wording? No. I actually think it was a smart move by Obama.

chill98

Trump spin machine fell down again.  An opportunity lost.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/21/us/politics/melania-trump-speech-meredith-mciver.html?_r=0

I was surprised to hear no heads would roll over this gaffe until I read the above.

A democrat writing for Trumps wife.  Plagiarism of a democratic speech.  Many positive ways to spin this to show Trump doesnt care about the politics, its the ideas that matter.  Reaching across the aisle.  Presenting words to his audience (republican) who are likely to have never heard the words Michelle Obama spoke.  And the audience agreed with her speech.  See we can work together for the things everyone agrees are important....

blah blah blah... end of Potential spin missed example.

Yeah... he may win this one...

SGOS

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on July 21, 2016, 10:59:12 AM
Yes, lying is lying, but this is more of a harmless lie. I actually like what Barack Obama did when he copied other people's words. He copied some really good stuff, like the "Just words" speech. Do I care that Barack or his speech writers took inspiration from some speeches they saw and copied huge chunks of the wording? No. I actually think it was a smart move by Obama.

Quoting others is done constantly in academic research.  It's considered good form, but the rule is to always foot note it and give proper credit.  I dunno if politics is actually considered academic when one is engaged in politics.  As a discipline it's taught in higher education as political science, so I think it's academic.

If one were to take giving credit seriously, which obviously was not the intention of the speech writer here, Melania would have said something like, "I'd like to quote remarkable words of Michelle Obama spoken 8 years ago."  Yeah right!  That would go over well at a Republican convention.  People would be looking at each other thinking, "WTF?  Does this ditz even understand that we all hate Michelle and wish she were dying of cancer?"

Of course, who knows where Michelle got her speech.  But Hell, I don't want to take this shit too seriously.  This election year is sure to be a potential riot of entertainment and if one gets overly pedantic he's going to miss all the fun.

Baruch

Plato plagiarized Socrates.  Plato also said in The Republic, that only the government should be allowed to lie.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on July 23, 2016, 10:50:29 AM
Plato plagiarized Socrates.  Plato also said in The Republic, that only the government should be allowed to lie.

The Republicans may have stole Michelle's speech, but President Obama stole their healthcare legislation.  So it's kind of a wash. :high5:

mauricio

oh look a superficial speech took some platitudes from another superficial speech. I find it hard to give a fuck about this topic yet it seems to be news of utmost importance in so many publications.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on July 23, 2016, 04:22:25 PM
The Republicans may have stole Michelle's speech, but President Obama stole their healthcare legislation.  So it's kind of a wash. :high5:

Which was why Obama sometimes had a lost look on his face during his first term because he was presenting what was originally Mitt Romney's creation. But the Repubs aren't obstructionists, oh no.