News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New Star Trek Series

Started by Solomon Zorn, July 19, 2016, 05:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Nonsensei

I didn't like DS9 very much. There were certain episodes that were worthy of the Star Trek name. Even a few episodes that were truly great. By and large, though, there were too many stupid fluff episodes. My dad got to calling it Deep Soap 9 back when it was still airing and I thought that was pretty apt. There are a large number of episodes that feel like they belong in a soap opera. Theres also a lot of episodes steeped in cultural stuff which was never my favorite aspect of Star Trek. I cringed whenever there was any Bejoran religious bullshit going on, which was pretty damn often.

I also hated how they basically got rid of shields. Maybe this is just a nitpicky thing but it bugged me a lot. By the end of the series capital ships were blowing up in a couple of hits. They also had them flying in formation like they were fighters. I guess these ships having defensive capability would have cut down on the number of explosions on screen so they just basically pretended they no longer exist. Just..bugged me a lot.

My favorite series was Voyager. Something about being alone in unknown territory on a permanent basis was really appealing. No Starfleet to fall back on, and tens of thousands of light years to travel. Excellent idea, and they actually did it pretty damn well. (This is why SG:U was my favorite stargate series, and I'm still salty they killed it.)
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Hijiri Byakuren

No. Please, just no. Let it die already. Trek stopped being good after TNG ended.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: Nonsensei on July 19, 2016, 09:48:41 PMI didn't like DS9 very much. There were certain episodes that were worthy of the Star Trek name. Even a few episodes that were truly great. By and large, though, there were too many stupid fluff episodes. My dad got to calling it Deep Soap 9 back when it was still airing and I thought that was pretty apt. There are a large number of episodes that feel like they belong in a soap opera. Theres also a lot of episodes steeped in cultural stuff which was never my favorite aspect of Star Trek. I cringed whenever there was any Bejoran religious bullshit going on, which was pretty damn often.
Eh, at least with DS9, the religious stuff sort of made sense in context.  The Bajorans have magic boxes connected to wormhole aliens and they see Sisko as their messiah figure.  Wow, that sounds really bad summed up like that.  And it is, but if religion and soap opera stuff was what you hated about DS9, I don't see how you could possibly consider Voyager any better on that front.

Imo, Voyager really upped the cringe factor.  Chakotay leading the crew on spirit walks.  Seven's false rape allegations and the Doctor inhabiting Seven's body, leading to the infamous quote from Seven:  "you became sexually aroused in my body!".  And I've never seen compelling drama quite like the love triangle with Neelix, Kes, and Tom Paris.  Or Seven, the Doctor, and Chakotay.

QuoteI also hated how they basically got rid of shields. Maybe this is just a nitpicky thing but it bugged me a lot. By the end of the series capital ships were blowing up in a couple of hits. They also had them flying in formation like they were fighters. I guess these ships having defensive capability would have cut down on the number of explosions on screen so they just basically pretended they no longer exist. Just..bugged me a lot.
Yeah, I can see that.  The formation thing was weird, but it didn't bother me that shields didn't last too long.  I figured they could only withstand a few hits before failing, especially to focused fire from multiple ships or the defiant's salvos.  Considering that a lot of the battles were during a major war with large fleets, it'd make sense that shields would drop a lot faster than in 1v1 battles.

If anything, DS9 combat was better than TNG combat.  TNG had this bizarre habit of calling out the shield percentages.  Worf would just slowly count down from 100 and then when he'd get to 50, Picard would tell him to ready torpedoes (which imo, isn't necessary.  Whoever needs to be told to ready weapons when they're under attack would have to be a colossal moron) but wait to fire on his mark.  Then he'd pause and tell him to fire.  That was cool for Wrath of Khan because it was this dramatic moment and waiting for a clear shot with your one-shot weapon makes perfect sense.  But doing that routinely came across as incredibly stupid.  When someone's steadily destroying your ship (the one with a shitton of kids on board) you don't sip tea and try to figure out their feelings, you fucking fire back.  At least try to disable their weapons systems.  Again, I'd like to bring up Babylon 5 for comparison.  They very rarely had any shields at all.  They get shot at, starfuries go pop and sections of the station get blown off.  You bet your ass they fire back immediately.

QuoteMy favorite series was Voyager. Something about being alone in unknown territory on a permanent basis was really appealing. No Starfleet to fall back on, and tens of thousands of light years to travel.
Yeah, that was a great premise.  And it actually made exploration make sense.  They're not just wandering around poking anomalies for shits and giggles like in TNG.  They're on course for Earth and they're on the lookout for anything that even seems like it might be a wormhole to help shave a couple decades off the trip.

QuoteExcellent idea, and they actually did it pretty damn well.
Eh, I disagree on that.  If they had better writing, they could've really pulled off something great.  Instead we have Neelix episodes and holodeck episodes galore and Janeway and Paris turning into amphibians and mating.  Great premise, mediocre to bad episodes with occasional awesomeness.

Quote(This is why SG:U was my favorite stargate series, and I'm still salty they killed it.)
Disagree about SG:U too.  It had a decent start and it kinda grew on me, but god damn was it soap operaish.  They even had the classic "I'm preggers" melodrama.  The only thing that kept me watching was the looming conflict between Rush and Young.  And then they duke it out and we say bye to Rush forever.  And then Rush is back and they're cool somehow.

But I loved the premise of the show - like Voyager, the writers pretty much have free reign to do just about anything.  This series really could've shaken things up and shown us some amazing locales, new civilizations, etc but sadly, the budget wasn't there so we get the engine room and the woods.  Yippee.  And the plot, particularly in season 2, was a goddamn trainwreck between the mysterious aliens and the ship's divine mission.  It's one thing to keep some things hidden to keep people guessing about your big mystery but it's another to drop them into a ton of stuff that doesn't make any sense and keep the audience perpetually in the dark (and what little they do reveal just adds more questions).  That just bores/irritates people and the ratings showed it (though they were screwed with the timeslot change, it wasn't the sole reason for its cancellation)

stromboli

Star Trek Voyager. Seven of Nine.

Yes I'm a disgusting old pervert. Deal with it. :2thumbs:

TrueStory

Quote from: Shiranu on July 19, 2016, 01:58:25 PM
I'm excited. Unabashed confession though... Star Trek Voyager was my favourite series and then TNG. They are more or less tied but... Voyager just interested me a bit more. Either way I really hope this series keeps the very "working towards Utopia" idealism that the rest had and don't go for a grittier and action packed theme like the reboot movies (which I love as movies... just not so much Star Trek movies).
Recently I watched both series all the way through.  Going into it TNG was my favorite but STV grew on me as the seasons progressed.   The only thing in STV that bothered me just a bit is the wedging of a superior being type thing aka god into some of the episodes.  My not so humble opinions.
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on July 20, 2016, 11:55:47 AM
Star Trek Voyager. Seven of Nine.

Yes I'm a disgusting old pervert. Deal with it. :2thumbs:
Oh man, I forgot all about the fanservice.  Many series would have a designated T&A officer (Troi, Leeta, Seven, T'Pol) who would ditch the standard uniform for some low-cut skin-tight number.  Looking back, it comes across as pretty condescending move by the executives - that viewers won't stick around for the characters and story, but throwing some tits on the screen will keep them in their seats.  If GoT has taught me anything, that's not the case.

stromboli

If TVs of that era were all 3D, every time Jeri Ryan walked on the set with that outfit the TV would have exploded.

Solomon Zorn

Seven is hot, but Six is hotter. :syda:

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

TomFoolery

In case it wasn't obvious from my avatar, I love all things Trek. I grew up with Star Trek Next Generation in the early 1990s, and eventually I would fall in love with Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, and the Original Series.

It's difficult to wrap my head around just how many ways one iconic show has shaped my life. I think as someone who works in the sciences, it's easy to sometimes be dismissive of the arts. I fell in love with science for the first time watching Star Trek Next Generation. I think in some ways that probably affected my decision to pursue an education in biology and public health.

I'm so happy this new Trek series and the three rebooted films bringing a new batch of fans into the Star Trek fold. Some oldies complain that everything that isn't classic Trek sucks, but I think they're closed minded. I love thinking about another generation of young minds falling in love with a new cast of characters and taking away the vital concepts central to the entire Trek fandom: curiosity, exploration, innovation, inclusion, big dreams, and the promotion of peace.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Hydra009

Quote from: TomFoolery on July 20, 2016, 07:40:24 PM

I'm so happy this new Trek series and the three rebooted films bringing a new batch of fans into the Star Trek fold. Some oldies complain that everything that isn't classic Trek sucks, but I think they're closed minded. I love thinking about another generation of young minds falling in love with a new cast of characters and taking away the vital concepts central to the entire Trek fandom: curiosity, exploration, innovation, inclusion, big dreams, and the promotion of peace.
Don't forget lens flares and totally radical motorcycle/buggy stunts.  :P

But seriously, the major themes of the shows are great.  If the new series does that tradition any justice, I can overlook all the holodeck malfunctions in the world.  No promises on death threats towards the Wesley/Neelix, though.

Shiranu

The more I think about it, the more I think DS9 was actually my favourite. Bashir, Dax and the Bajorans 4tw. I actually have a Bajoran earring somewhere...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

I hated BSG. It was more an erotic telenovela than what it was supposed to be, doesn't matter how 'successful' it was among people.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

TomFoolery

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 20, 2016, 08:58:00 PM
But seriously, the major themes of the shows are great.  If the new series does that tradition any justice, I can overlook all the holodeck malfunctions in the world.  No promises on death threats towards the Wesley/Neelix, though.

And all things Mirrorverse. Ugh.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?