News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New Star Trek Series

Started by Solomon Zorn, July 19, 2016, 05:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Nonsensei

QuoteFuller explained that after the more than 700 Star Trek episodes already made, "we have to tell stories differently than they’ve been told for fifty years." Therefore, he looked to take advantage of the streaming format of All Access by telling a single story arc across the entire first season, which he and the writers had completely written by the end of June 2016.

Oh boy. Single story arc. Get ready for Battle Star Galactica Trek.

QuoteFuller also implied that, unlike previous Star Trek series, this one would feature LGBTQ characters.

Alright fine. Its the wave of the future i guess. But I swear to god the first time someone gets mad for not being addressed by their preferred pronoun I am fucking done.

"Raise shields Mr. Davek."
"EXCUSE YOU captain, but its Ms. Davek now."
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Solomon Zorn

I wish it was on TV. I hate streaming online.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Nonsensei on July 19, 2016, 06:42:16 AM
Oh boy. Single story arc. Get ready for Battle Star Galactica Trek.

Don't say that. :sad2: After they made that one, may be just because of that this one will be different. How do you know?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Nonsensei

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 19, 2016, 07:08:05 AM
Don't say that. :sad2: After they made that one, may be just because of that this one will be different. How do you know?

I don't.

What I do know is that BSG is the most successful single story arc sci fi show ever made, so there's a large financial incentive to emulate it closely.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

stromboli

How many times can you recycle a franchise? We may never reach the end.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: stromboli on July 19, 2016, 10:32:51 AM
How many times can you recycle a franchise? We may never reach the end.
I like the idea of repackaging Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future, for the young people, like my great nephew, who have had little exposure to it. I may make an atheist out of him, yet. :menacing:

stromboli

My problem is I believe in consistency and continuity. Every reboot changes some aspect of the original series and rewrites it differently. I know, artist's license and all that. But it irks me enough I don't watch the new ones.

And tbh back in the day I saw how derivative the series was and how much was borrowed from previously written sci fi. That is what happens when you are a dedicated sci fi reader. It is also why I don't like Tarantino's original stuff- because I am a long time a fan of Japanese cinema and know where he got his ideas from. Other than the snappy dialogue, I think Tarantino's work is overblown and overrated.

Hydra009

Created by:
Bryan Fuller (some decent Voyager episodes)
Alex Kurtzman (last two JJ Abrams Trek movies, also the regretfully cancelled Locke and Key pilot)

Could be good.

Hydra009

Quote from: Nonsensei on July 19, 2016, 06:42:16 AMOh boy. Single story arc. Get ready for Battle Star Galactica Trek.
In all honesty, I would love BSG to rub off on Trek a little bit.  And I'm okay with an over-arching arc for the first season, if it's done well.

Shiranu

I'm excited. Unabashed confession though... Star Trek Voyager was my favourite series and then TNG. They are more or less tied but... Voyager just interested me a bit more. Either way I really hope this series keeps the very "working towards Utopia" idealism that the rest had and don't go for a grittier and action packed theme like the reboot movies (which I love as movies... just not so much Star Trek movies).
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Shiranu on July 19, 2016, 01:58:25 PM
...I really hope this series keeps the very "working towards Utopia" idealism that the rest had and don't go for a grittier and action packed theme like the reboot movies (which I love as movies... just not so much Star Trek movies).
My feelings, exactly.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on July 19, 2016, 01:58:25 PMStar Trek Voyager was my favourite series and then TNG. They are more or less tied but... Voyager just interested me a bit more.

Well, at least your top pick wasn't Enterprise. 

Personally, I LOVED DS9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTB4NjBzK8c

^ Better than 90% of other Trek shows imo.

TNG was good, too.  But looking back, some episodes - especially those from the early seasons - were garbage.  Think I'm off base?  Grab a seat and watch Justice.

Voyager could've been amazing, but a lot of its episodes had serious writing problems *coughThresholdcough*.  It had its moments (Scorpion, Equinox, Year of Hell, Dark Frontier) but its excellence was inconsistent and it was plagued with lots of uninspired episodes every season.  And the series finale was pretty awful imho.

QuoteEither way I really hope this series keeps the very "working towards Utopia" idealism that the rest had and don't go for a grittier and action packed theme like the reboot movies (which I love as movies... just not so much Star Trek movies).
I don't mind Star Trek's signature idealism, as long as it's somewhat tempered with realism.  Several series took it to a cartoonish level - that everybody can sing kumbaya and work out their differences.  I greatly prefer Babylon 5's approach - two aliens, Londo and G'Kar, have longstanding grievances that aren't resolved with a speech, but through a long and difficult process of reconciliation.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur