News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

It's God's Will?

Started by Solitary, June 01, 2013, 12:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "Solitary""It was God's will," her father, Eric Dizon, said Friday.

Jesus H Christ I can't believe he would be this stupid to think a sentient  higher power caused this and not an electrical spark.  I'm suppose to respect peoples beliefs in a magical being in the heavens that are based on a delusion, faulty reasoning, and emotion?  
I think you have to remember that this is a guy that just lost his daughter very suddenly and very unexpectedly. And now he's (presumably) got some POS reporter all up in his grill with a recorder asking for a quote. I don't really think he's doin' the math to work out the full meaning of what he's saying. He's most likely giving an off the cuff vanilla statement that won't embarrass him or his loved ones and will get said POS reporter out of his grill as fast as possible. Considering the circumstances, I don't know that I'd read much more into it than that.

Good point.  None of us can really know how we'd react while in such a state of shock - can we?  Losing a daughter is horrific alone without having to utter one word about it.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

AllPurposeAtheist

Isn't that what one gets for flying kites with a key dangling from the string in a thunderstorm?

Oh wait.. That would be discovering electricity..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

ApostateLois

Yeah, the poor guy is grieving the loss of his child in a horrible manner, and he's been programmed to believe that everything, good or bad, is somehow God's will. Naturally, his instinctive reply will be "God willed it." I doubt he actually thought about it much, and probably won't. "God willed it" is many people's answer to "Why did this bad thing happen?" It can much more comforting than, "There is no reason, it's all just random bad luck."
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Solitary

:evil:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Solitary"Yes the man was under great emotional stress from losing his daughter (But why? She is in heaven now, right?), does this mean when he gets over it he will still believe it was God's will, or before it happen that he didn't know what lightning is? Would any atheist say that because he doesn't want to embarrass himself by saying it was God's will, or would he be embarrassed to say it was God's will because of knowing what causes lightning? I know, the man who lost his daughter does know what causes lightning---God. And still he will worships and placates Him, Why?  What if I willed his daughter to die, would he feel the same way about me? Please explain to me how he is being rational claiming it was God's will and still believing in Him. Bill

Nothing rational about it.   I think what some of us have said is he's under emotional duress so really he can't or shouldn't explain ANYthing.......said or thought regarding the death of a daughter.
Actually I should just speak for myself - that's how I see it - yanno?

There's nothing rational about it.

In fact - I'll go you one further - IF the christians are right - I'm in hell for sure.  Not because I've lived a wicked life (I'd stack mine against the uber religious any day)   No....... because if I stand in front of god I plan on shaking my fist at him and giving him one hell of a piece of my mind.  AKA  "WTF? How dare you???" and a couple of other interesting points.
I anticipate banishment at that time.

Solitary

AllPurposeAtheist

Gods will is making you debate gods will, but FREE will goes on sale at Walmart for just $29.95 for a three hour discounted trial offer.*

*Conditions and availability may vary. No claims of success should be inferred as none is offered.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Solitary"I wasn't talking about when he was under emotional stress which is understandable to be irrational, only before and after the event when he gets over it, if ever. Why is it assumed everyone has to evoke God anytime something tragic happens, or they are embarrassed not to? I understand loss believe me, even from murder of a close friend by a close friend. If a reporter had questioned me about the other losses by natural causes, God would be the last thing to come into my mind.

And if he asked me what I thought about it, I would say, "Shit happens!" My wife's nephew lost his son to leukemia, it's been six years now and he still hasn't got over it because he thinks it was God's will in his mind and can't get back to reality. I don't believe false hope helps anyone. On this subject I'm a cold blooded realist. Probably from PTSD, or just maybe because I don't believe in superstitious nonsense but reality. Solitary

Social pressure to do so?  Social influence.  Falling into that *norm* category again?   That's my best guess.

AllPurposeAtheist

'Thank god', 'Gods will' etc. have been so ingrained into our culture that even the most ardent atheists say them.
I often complain about shit beginning with JESUS CHRIST MAN!... Yeah, I know.. I should.invoke the Toothfairy instead, but.. ya know..

Colanth

Quote from: "Solitary"Please explain to me how he is being rational claiming it was God's will and still believing in Him.
If he claimed it was the will of a god he didn't believe in he would be irrational.  Claiming that his god killed his daughter, and still worshiping that god is irrational.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Johan

What kind of person would have such a huge lack of compassion as to take someone who has just suffered a tremendous loss to task for one simple off-hand statement to a reporter? Not only take them to task, but also draw numerous conclusions about this person's believes and worship practices based on only four words they were quoted as saying, and then publicly belittle them for the conclusions drawn from those words. Who would be so small minded and petty as to do such a thing to another human being? Atheists that's who. Our parents should be proud of us.  :(
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Solitary

Johan

Quote from: "Solitary"Drawing numerous conclusions after an offhand remark about ones practices and beliefs after they say it was Gods will when it's quite obvious if someone says it is the will of God that they are religious and believe in an all powerful, all loving God, and all knowing God is not a logical conclusion?
Not for me it isn't. When my boss asks me if we'll be able to get a certain project done on a certain deadline, I will often say 'god willing and the creek don't freeze.' Does that mean I believe in god? Because I can assure you that I do not. People make off hand comments like that all the time that mean nothing. And as someone who lost both parents within 3 weeks of each other, I can also assure you that at least one person I know well (me) made lots of those sorts of off hand comments in the aftermath of an unexpected loss of a loved one.

Why? Because people tend to ask you questions in those times for which you don't have any answers. People would say 'man isn't it amazing that your dad died so close to your mom's death?' And my answer to that in my brain would be something along the lines of there is nothing amazing about this. But the person saying it is someone I care about and they're being nice even if they're being a bone head. So instead I would say something like well it was certainly unexpected.

Now to use your logic again, does that mean we really we not expecting my parents to die? At the time that they died, both of them had been in and out of hospitals with various ailments for the better part of ten years. So what exactly was unexpected about them dying? Nothing, that's what. But saying it was unexpected is something people do in those situations because there really is nothing else to say.

There was nothing truthful or accurate I could tell you about my parents death immediately after it happened because I so thrown by it, that I didn't know what I felt. In fact I was so thrown by it that I didn't even really understand that I was thrown by it at the time. So yeah, when a guy who has just lost his teen aged daughter makes some off hand comment about her death, I tend to to just let it go rather than hanging the guy on a public forum because I've been there and I know from experience that you say shit you don't really mean just to get everyone else to shut the fuck up about it and leave you alone to your grieving in those situations.

Maybe you've been in those situations yourself and you've been able to form complete and accurate answers to to whatever people threw at you. If so goodie for you. Lots of people, myself included, don't work that way. So you can go ahead and belittle the guy all you want for what he said and justify it however you like. I'm still going to think it's a douchy thing to do. Sue me.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Solitary

Johan

I believe that I don't know anything about what that man believes or worships and I believe you don't know anything about it either.