News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

It's God's Will?

Started by Solitary, June 01, 2013, 12:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

:evil:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Colanth

They've also been saying that about hurricanes and tornadoes for decades - as if we don't know what causes them.

Just another god-o-the-gaps moment (and I think the gap is between their ears).  I don't know whether they expect me to respect their beliefs, but I never have and I never will.  I respect their right to be idiots, but I don't respect idiocy.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

stromboli

God's will
God is in control
God moves in mysterious ways
God is testing us

Oh, god.

Seabear

A loved one dies suddenly for no good reason. Storms wreak havoc. Bad shit happens. It's hard to accept that it's all just misfortune brought about my a largely random and uncaring universe. It's much more comforting to believe that someone is in control, and has a plan. So, all of these misfortunes, tragedies, and seemingly random events are REALLY part of God's mysterious and inscrutable "plan".

This is one of evangelical Chrisitianity's hot selling points - it simultaneously appeals to everyone's hubris, while offering a security blanket. "Hey, there is a a supreme, unimaginably powerful being who created and controls the universe and all in it, but YOU are special to him, and he has a plan for YOU!". It's an emotional placebo. One that people have come to rely on, even though it's nothing more than self-deception and wishful thinking.
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sleeper

I think he meant that it was God's will for the electrical current to strike her. It's probably something he must believe or risk hating his concept of God or losing belief in it altogether. But God's will is something we can never question, but praise him for always.

So I'd tell him to lose his belief in it altogether. A lot less he'll have to rationalize, then he can properly mourn his daughter.
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

Solitary

WitchSabrina

All I know is that it's great to see you, Solitary.

=D>
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Colanth

Quote from: "Solitary"I have a friend that is an engineering physicist that believes in God because it brings him comfort. I really don't understand how an all loving God that destroyed all human life in the past
That was our fault, for not being what he wanted us to be.

Quoteor can sends you to hell unless you believe in Him and placate Him
We choose to go to hell.

Quotebrings comfort, nor how everlasting life can.
If you can't accept your own death, or the death of your loved ones, it probably does.  But some people grow up.

Sal1981

I usually translate "God works in mysterious ways" into "God's being a dick, nothing to see here".

Colanth

My translation is "I don't have a clue, but I don't like admitting that."

Johan

Quote from: "Solitary""It was God's will," her father, Eric Dizon, said Friday.

Jesus H Christ I can't believe he would be this stupid to think a sentient  higher power caused this and not an electrical spark.  I'm suppose to respect peoples beliefs in a magical being in the heavens that are based on a delusion, faulty reasoning, and emotion?  
I think you have to remember that this is a guy that just lost his daughter very suddenly and very unexpectedly. And now he's (presumably) got some POS reporter all up in his grill with a recorder asking for a quote. I don't really think he's doin' the math to work out the full meaning of what he's saying. He's most likely giving an off the cuff vanilla statement that won't embarrass him or his loved ones and will get said POS reporter out of his grill as fast as possible. Considering the circumstances, I don't know that I'd read much more into it than that.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Solitary

aitm

Yep, it is more like the admission that god hisself thought you or your loved one was so important to him that he personally took the time from his busy schedule to kill said person. This supposedly makes one feel better than say, oh I don't know, that your kid died just for no fucking reason at all.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Colanth

Quote from: "aitm"This supposedly makes one feel better than say, oh I don't know, that your kid died just for no fucking reason at all.
But in this case she didn't die for no reason at all.  She died because she was too stupid to come in out of the rain.  Probably because she was brought up as a good, God-fearing Christian, and didn't believe that anything could happen to her that wasn't God Swill.

AllPurposeAtheist

Gods will made you read this post. PTL!

Now don't you feel all blessed n shit? ;)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.