QUESTIONS WHITE MEN HAVE FOR SJWs!

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, July 15, 2016, 04:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 15, 2016, 07:48:31 PM
Life as a man is the hardest thing imaginable. As a woman, you are not allowed to refute my statement, because you don't know what life is like for me.

When you're making a statement like that, try and make sure it doesn't cut both ways. It opens the door for folks like me to start being smartasses.
Right. I am not arguing that life as a man isn't hard, because I don't know that. I've never been one. If you say so, I'll at the very least give you the benefit of the doubt.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 15, 2016, 08:00:43 PM

I never claimed to know what life is like for women or minorities, I simply expressed doubt that they're oppressed in the West to the point of having to silence themselves and thus require a safe space.
I think the fact that you are denying any oppression is very strong evidence that you are claiming to know what life is like for women and minorities.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 15, 2016, 08:16:13 PM
Yeah, and that's a common experience whenever one says something that doesn't toe the SJW line.  It's terrible because most of us do want to stamp out prejudice and injustice, but this approach just divides communities rather than bring them together.

After the woman sent the replies I responded that she was making a lot of assumptions based on one sentence from a stranger, that we both wanted the same outcome and that she was alienating an ally. She said "Please read the article again" and thankfully didn't contact me again. I've noticed from other online conversations that with some people if you don't address social issues from a framework of identity politics and intersectionality they immediately disagree and deem all other perspectives invalid. I even been told unless I accepted identity politics I wasn't a real secular humanist. Social justice has been called the new secular religion and some people do seem to behave as though there are sacred values, holy doctrines, the faithful and the infidels.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mermaid on July 15, 2016, 08:32:56 PMI think the fact that you are denying any oppression is very strong evidence that you are claiming to know what life is like for women and minorities.
"denying any oppression" is not what I'm doing.  Please read what I wrote rather than making false assumptions about it in order to condemn it.  This sort of approach - twisting words in order to paint someone as a bigot in order to dismiss what they are saying - is a big part of the reason why SJWs have their current bad reputation.

Atheon

When it comes to the experiences that black people have, I listen to what black people have to say.
When it comes to the experiences that women have, I listen to what women have to say.
When it comes to the experiences that gay people have, I listen to what gay people have to say.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Atheon on July 15, 2016, 11:33:27 PM
When it comes to the experiences that black people have, I listen to what black people have to say.
When it comes to the experiences that women have, I listen to what women have to say.
When it comes to the experiences that gay people have, I listen to what gay people have to say.
Trust, but verify.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Mermaid on July 15, 2016, 08:32:56 PM
I think the fact that you are denying any oppression is very strong evidence that you are claiming to know what life is like for women and minorities.

guess what? i'm white and i'm a minority

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 15, 2016, 07:54:16 PM
I'm new to Twitter and commented on an article regarding identity politics, race and privilege stating that I preferred to focus on commonalities rather than differences when addressing conflicts. I thought this was a pretty innocuous statement but some woman jumped all over me. She sent six or seven replies saying I didn't care about black or gay people, lacked empathy, that I was a men's right activist and implied that I was racist. All this over ONE tweet. I've learned that I really don't care for Twitter, particularly because I find it difficult to say anything meaningful in 140 characters.

I've commented on News articles at Yahoo, and got same amazingly stupid replies.  I don't do twitter.  I know I shouldn't judge it by it's name, but "twittering" about things of importance sounds immensely shallow.

Mermaid

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 15, 2016, 08:49:06 PM
"denying any oppression" is not what I'm doing.  Please read what I wrote rather than making false assumptions about it in order to condemn it.  This sort of approach - twisting words in order to paint someone as a bigot in order to dismiss what they are saying - is a big part of the reason why SJWs have their current bad reputation.
Dude. Relax. I don't care to paint you as anything, it's not about you and I have no intent of twisting anything. I don't know that we are polar opposites on this issue.

Mermaid

Quote from: Atheon on July 15, 2016, 11:33:27 PM
This.

Mermaid

drunkenshoe

Here is a suggestion to the boys.

Find a standard forum. Nothing out of the oridnary, but a common one. Get a female nickname and talk about women issues in an easy going, sensible egalitarian way after saying 'I am a woman and I experience this...'.

Repeat the same experiment with saying 'I am a feminist' but never change the manner and the sensible material yuo are offering.

Then watch what is going on each time. May be that would give you some insight about the female side, SJW or not. Because as long as you are a female voicing something out loud about gender issues, it really doesn't matter what you think/say beyond that you are a female as reactions go. Experience it yourself.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Sal1981

This is the reason I like places where you can only be "text on a screen".

Bear with me; it doesn't matter what you are in real life, because the only thing that matters is the content of your writing.

For all you care, I'm a black midget lesbian or a white supremacist racist male. It does not matter. I'm just text on a screen, for all you care. This is truly what Martin Luther King jr. meant with living side by side and only be judged by the content of your character.

Nonsensei

We have inevitably gotten off topic.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Mermaid