World Will End July 29th. You Have been Warned.

Started by stromboli, July 14, 2016, 01:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 17, 2017, 02:26:18 AM
That is still a lazy thinker's answer.
There's a reason I consider philosophy to be only marginally less pointless than theology.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on February 17, 2017, 11:29:18 AM
There's a reason I consider philosophy to be only marginally less pointless than theology.  :)

Contemplating your navel is useful, if you need to clean the lint out ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on February 17, 2017, 02:26:18 AM
That is still a lazy thinker's answer.
Philosophy is weight-lifting with helium balloons anyway.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Philosophy is OK when it comes to morality or ethics, but when it comes to physical reality no philosopher has ever known enough to know what they were talking about, and so should steer clear of it. Unfortunately, they haven't.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 17, 2017, 03:48:25 PM
Philosophy is OK when it comes to morality or ethics, but when it comes to physical reality no philosopher has ever known enough to know what they were talking about, and so should steer clear of it. Unfortunately, they haven't.

Natural philosophy = modern science.  The scientists just don't want to be as kooky as Newton anymore.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 17, 2017, 06:40:40 PM
Natural philosophy = modern science.  The scientists just don't want to be as kooky as Newton anymore.

Natural philosophy is the pre-scientific attempt to combine nature and spirit.  It does not equate to modern science.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2017, 02:38:13 AM
Natural philosophy is the pre-scientific attempt to combine nature and spirit.  It does not equate to modern science.

So you invented the reflecting telescope, analyzed light into the rainbow, invented calculus before Leibniz, developed celestial mechanics into a true science, discovered the universal law of gravitation, and were master of the mint?  But Newton was also an alchemist and a Revelations interpreter.  So for you only a pure atheist like Feynman is a real scientist?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2017, 08:56:35 AM
So you invented the reflecting telescope, analyzed light into the rainbow, invented calculus before Leibniz, developed celestial mechanics into a true science, discovered the universal law of gravitation, and were master of the mint?  But Newton was also an alchemist and a Revelations interpreter.  So for you only a pure atheist like Feynman is a real scientist?

Newton was one of the transitioners of natural science to modern science.  He made great strides, but also had pre-scientific ideas.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 23, 2017, 04:00:38 AM
Newton was one of the transitioners of natural science to modern science.  He made great strides, but also had pre-scientific ideas.

We are 1000 years in the past (of 1000 years from now) ... we are hopelessly primitive to.  With Progress (tm) we will have even smarter phones in the future.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 23, 2017, 05:55:21 AM
We are 1000 years in the past (of 1000 years from now) ... we are hopelessly primitive to.  With Progress (tm) we will have even smarter phones in the future.

Your statement means "today".  Feel free to engage in primitive beliefs.  I do not.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 23, 2017, 11:07:37 AM
Your statement means "today".  Feel free to engage in primitive beliefs.  I do not.

So get the bone out of your own nose, before you get it out of mine (Jesus).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 23, 2017, 12:22:32 PM
So get the bone out of your own nose, before you get it out of mine (Jesus).

You need to identify the bone.  Only then can we discuss it.  And I'll bet the only response you can manage is a non-sequitor.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 17, 2017, 03:48:25 PM
"No philosopher came out of a debate with more than he went in with." Jubal Harshaw.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 26, 2017, 10:22:47 AM
"No philosopher came out of a debate with more than he went in with." Jubal Harshaw.

Far from me to argue with Jubal.  But I will if I get a chance.  He would appreciate that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 10:15:08 AM
You need to identify the bone.  Only then can we discuss it.  And I'll bet the only response you can manage is a non-sequitor.

New Guinea men use a boar's tusk thru the septum ... ouch!  Not my fault that you don't know head hunter culture.  This is why I always stayed away from them, when they called me at work, offering me a new job ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.