World Will End July 29th. You Have been Warned.

Started by stromboli, July 14, 2016, 01:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on August 04, 2016, 03:19:59 AM
The world as we knew it is dead. Long live the old world, long live the new.

What is dead may never die.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

trdsf

Of course, the hilarious thing about at least the religious predictions of doomsday is that their own holy book says "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father" (Matt. 24:36, if you care) so basically, as soon as someone makes that prediction, they're definitely wrong by the words of their own book.

I guess if we can get some thumper somewhere to make a fresh prediction every day, the world will never end.  ;)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: trdsf on August 04, 2016, 01:59:19 PM
Of course, the hilarious thing about at least the religious predictions of doomsday is that their own holy book says "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father" (Matt. 24:36, if you care) so basically, as soon as someone makes that prediction, they're definitely wrong by the words of their own book.

I guess if we can get some thumper somewhere to make a fresh prediction every day, the world will never end.  ;)
Guessing is very different from knowing. The Bible doesn't claim that no man will guess the day the world will end/ Jebus will return. So let's say Christianity is true. If the world had ended on July 29, that wouldn't mean that the person making the prediction actually had the knowledge that the world was going to end on that day. They didn't know it would end. They thought/ believed/ guessed it would end, which is not really even close to knowing. If I made the claim that I was going to win the lottery tomorrow, and it actually ends up happening, I didn't actually know that it would happen. I just made a really good guess. A very lucky guess. The Bible doesn't say no man will guess right. It says that no man knows.

widdershins

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on August 04, 2016, 06:11:05 PM
Guessing is very different from knowing. The Bible doesn't claim that no man will guess the day the world will end/ Jebus will return. So let's say Christianity is true. If the world had ended on July 29, that wouldn't mean that the person making the prediction actually had the knowledge that the world was going to end on that day. They didn't know it would end. They thought/ believed/ guessed it would end, which is not really even close to knowing. If I made the claim that I was going to win the lottery tomorrow, and it actually ends up happening, I didn't actually know that it would happen. I just made a really good guess. A very lucky guess. The Bible doesn't say no man will guess right. It says that no man knows.
Man, I love these types of answers.  They're all nit-picky and precise.

And yes, you are correct as the difference between "knowledge" and "belief" can be considered to be as simple as a matter of choice.  A "belief" is that which you choose to believe where "knowledge" is something you have experienced or seen firsthand.  It is, however, very easy for us to convince ourselves that a particular "belief" is "knowledge".  In your example, after you won the lottery you would say, "I KNEW that was going to happen!" when really you just believed it and it happened to be right.

But interestingly by that definition we can also "know" something which actually is not correct.  Grifters depend on this (I've been binge-watching Leverage on Netflix.  Good show).  They manipulate your firsthand experience to give you actual "knowledge", even though what you "know" is wrong.

In the end knowledge and belief can easily be confused for each other and both could be right or wrong, though knowledge likely has a much higher chance of being right.  That is probably why so many religious people really, REALLY want to think that their beliefs are actually their knowledge.  Because knowledge just "feels" right, more valid than a belief.
This sentence is a lie...

trdsf

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on August 04, 2016, 06:11:05 PM

But that's rather the point: the people who make these predictions quite definitely claim knowledge.  It's not like they say they chose the date by lottery, that they guessed.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Feral Atheist

Is that when Hillary and Trump became the party nominees?  Cause that is pretty much our end
In dog beers I've only had one.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Feral Atheist on October 24, 2016, 12:18:59 AM
Is that when Hillary and Trump became the party nominees?  Cause that is pretty much our end
Our system is much more durable than that. This is a readjustment period while the GOP tries to decide if it will remain a viable entity or not.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Atheon

Quote from: Feral Atheist on October 24, 2016, 12:18:59 AM
Only if Trump wins.

If Hillary wins, I will be celebrating sweet victory with alcohol. If Trump wins, I will be drowning my sorrows with alcohol. Either way, alcohol will flow that day.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

drunkenshoe

31st October the next event in Armageddon News.

Disclaimer: The following video could cause severe nausea and amusement right at the same time. In any way it is a waste of 17 minutes showing a cavalry battalion led by Jesus defeating a tank battalion of sinners. It's hard to keep track, obviously I can't see the divine truth me being a heathen and all.

4:25 Note that there is only one jewish head stone and no soulds are going up to heaven from that one. :lol: Also while heaven relies on horses and swords, apparently they like ugly, dry 'modern' architecture up there. And we can het that the number 'thousands' is a vast number for people who made this video. I don't get why it is a problem to be prisoned for any being that is supposed to exist out of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HPrfFvkEj0
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Cavebear

And the "comet" ?  is racing past some planet WAY too fast to turn and hit it.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

drunkenshoe

Did you see the earth 'shaking'? I thought that was hillarious. I wish Einstein could have seen smt like that. :/
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

doorknob

It's always a barrel of laughs when some one predicts the end of the world.