World Will End July 29th. You Have been Warned.

Started by stromboli, July 14, 2016, 01:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://helpmebro.com/posts/sIXuYVpT3S

Because polar magnetic shift thingy. Pray hard, you immoral heathen bastards.

widdershins

Holy shit!  The polar magnetic shift is going to split the Earth in half???  I had no idea that this time was going to be so much different than all the other times it has happened!

But the world is going to end on October 21.  It's always October 21.  That's the date Harold Camping predicted.  It's the date the LHC was supposed to go into full swing and create black holes which would suck up the Earth.  And it's my second child's birthday.  She LOVES being the harbinger of doom.  It's her thing.  Don't you take that away from her!
This sentence is a lie...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on July 14, 2016, 01:42:50 PM
http://helpmebro.com/posts/sIXuYVpT3S

Because polar magnetic shift thingy. Pray hard, you immoral heathen bastards.
My profs told me we wouldn't even notice the shift. How could they have been so wrong?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Oh, that's a day before my mums birthday, so I can use that as an excuse not to buy her anything!
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

stromboli

According to my 5 minutes of google research, the polar reversal usually takes thousands of years. Since there is not, to my knowledge, specific info that points to a mass die off because of a polar shift, not too worried.

PickelledEggs

The world is ending again? I kind of want it to just happen now, so I don't have to keep hearing this shit anymore

SGOS

Polar shifts are not a laughing matter, but I don't think they happen on July 29th.

widdershins

Quote from: Munch on July 14, 2016, 02:00:23 PM
Oh, that's a day before my mums birthday, so I can use that as an excuse not to buy her anything!
Don't do it!  Harold Camping and CERN were supposed to get me out of Christmas presents TWICE and I can tell you from experience that no matter how sound the logic is, you're the asshole.  Yeah, THIS time it sounds legit, but I have been fooled before.

widdershins

Quote from: stromboli on July 14, 2016, 02:21:10 PM
According to my 5 minutes of google research, the polar reversal usually takes thousands of years. Since there is not, to my knowledge, specific info that points to a mass die off because of a polar shift, not too worried.
Well, there you go.  This one is happening in a day and that's why we're all going to die.  Sweet!  I don't have to pay next month's sales tax!  I can spend it instead!!!

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: SGOS on July 14, 2016, 02:44:32 PM
Polar shifts are not a laughing matter, but I don't think they happen on July 29th.
They always happen on July 32nd..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on July 14, 2016, 02:21:10 PM

I don't know about major extinctions, but it's probably no picnic.  One of things that happens is that during those thousands of years, the magnetic field surrounding the Earth dissipates while the magnetic poles shift.  Ordinarily, the magnetic field intercepts harmful particles from space, but I can't remember which ones, and redirects back into space.  Some of them are redirected to the poles (which causes the Arora Borealis).  During that time, life gets bombarded with these harmful particles, so maybe instead of an extinction, we could have a surge in evolution as our DNA strands get continually reassembled into whatever.

stromboli

Worst case scenario, my great great etc. grand kids might grow a third eye, or something.

Btw, I don't know if you thought about it, but just about every conceivable scenario of alien assault and radioactive nastiness has been covered by an episode of the Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. Been broadcast since the 50's, so any potential alien attacks will be thwarted because they will realize we are on to their tricks. Rod Serling has saved us!

Unbeliever

Oh, goody! It's about time this pile of shit came to an end! So long, suckers!

:menacing:
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

chill98

meh, its probably going to be a bi-polar magnetic shift and all that will happen is I will have to reset my alarm clock.

Atheon

I remember a polar shift was supposed to happen on May 5, 2000. A planetary lineup was supposed to cause a sudden buildup of polar ice, which in turn was supposed to cause the earth to suddenly flip upside down. I remember it was a nice day in Kentucky Derby Week in Louisville, but I lost my bets at the Oaks races.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca