World Will End July 29th. You Have been Warned.

Started by stromboli, July 14, 2016, 01:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

I wonder how many times that has been predicted.  And failed?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

I have a false vacuum.  The bag is probably filled.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

doorknob

there's a joke in the lexx community about the earth imploding because of humans trying to find the god particle. Very funny stuff none of it's serious of course.

doorknob

Cavebear

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 26, 2016, 12:43:08 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events
Ah, thanks, I was wondering when the next End-Of-The-World event was going to happen.

QuoteJeane Dixon claimed that Armageddon would take place in 2020 and Jesus will return to defeat the unholy Trinity of the Antichrist, Satan and the False prophet between 2020 and 2037. She had also previously predicted the world would end on February 4, 1962.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

That's just the religious predictions, IIRC. The "end of the Mayan calendar"-type predictions may or may not count in that list depending on the religious support it gets.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Yeah, actually we have little idea what happens when the magnetic poles shift;  There are no extinction events associated with it.  Maybe migrating geese get confused. 

Or the dead arise from their graves, Bwa-Ha-Ha...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on October 26, 2016, 01:45:38 PM
Yeah, actually we have little idea what happens when the magnetic poles shift;  There are no extinction events associated with it.  Maybe migrating geese get confused. 

Oceanography 101 at Purdue, the prof. said we wouldn't notice anything personally about the shifts, it would take instruments to detect it. The Mid-Atlantic Ridge is a good mine for the study of the pole shifts, the magna tends to cool with the particles aligned to the magnet pole. IIRC they found that the shifts took a good long while (on human scales) to complete. There's been not found, so far anyway, in the fossil records to show that animals were at all discomfited by the shift.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

But still a change had to happen.  At some point North was South.  Or was North East for a while.  I'll admit this is something I know too little about.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 26, 2016, 01:45:38 PM

Depends.  If the poles reverse as part of going thru a low-field transition, then the Van Allen belts will collapse and we all get irradiated by the solar wind and hard UV rays ... if we aren't underground in the Elite bunker with Eva Braun.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: doorknob on October 26, 2016, 10:12:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INodNZY5ytE

Fortunately the physicists have been wrong about everything concerning the LHC ... both in terms of the Higgs and in terms of exotic events (like mini-black-holes).  The only mini-black-holes I know of, are people's lower orifice.  Don't worry, fusion energy and warp drives are just around the corner.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.