World Will End July 29th. You Have been Warned.

Started by stromboli, July 14, 2016, 01:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 31, 2017, 07:06:32 PM
The end of the world, is the end of any human being ... a human being is a world.  The end of the world, the end of a human being, occurs multiple times every day.  What makes that the Last Judgement, isn't an episode of Judge Judy.  It is the idea that while alive, we can do thing, even repent or repay.  But once dead, our intentions are dead with us.

Your third clause is faulty (a human being is a world).  Therefore, the whole fails.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 02:06:03 PM
Your third clause is faulty (a human being is a world).  Therefore, the whole fails.

Fortunately those who are ignorant of metaphysics are only meta-wrong ;-)  In theoretical physics, Wolfgang Pauli called one paper "not even wrong".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 02:26:02 PM
Fortunately those who are ignorant of metaphysics are only meta-wrong ;-)  In theoretical physics, Wolfgang Pauli caused one paper "not even wrong".

That sounds like the anecdotal Philosophy essay "Why" and the answer "Because". 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 11, 2017, 07:01:39 AM

My last sentence "wasn't even wrong" and you didn't call me on it.  There is a blog, by a mathematician, who correctly criticizes the physicists .. named "Not Even Wrong".  He wrote a good book too, really headache inducing.  So not anecdotal ... he knows enough math to know when the physicists are pulling Higgs bosons out of the asses.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on January 29, 2017, 06:31:25 PM
Ah, but I had a real conversation with a real person, in the shout box ... and turns out that English isn't his first language, and that media was much more conducive to conversation.  I now know him ... much better than I would in this string ... and he knows me much better.  So we have a means of relating ... because we got down to brass tacks ... human problems with other humans ... not theology.
More irrelevancies. C'est la vie.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 11, 2017, 02:07:36 PM
More irrelevancies. C'est la vie.

If you aren't human, maybe you are a chat bot?  Humanity is the only relevancy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 02:26:02 PM
Fortunately those who are ignorant of metaphysics are only meta-wrong ;-)  In theoretical physics, Wolfgang Pauli called one paper "not even wrong".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

QuoteHe also quotes another example when Pauli replied to Lev Landau, "What you said was so confused that one could not tell whether it was nonsense or not."

He might as well have been talking about you here, Baruch, since this is often the kind of feeling your posts generate. Are you Lev Landau?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 02:33:37 PM
If you aren't human, maybe you are a chat bot?  Humanity is the only relevancy.
Bald assertions don't need Brylcreem.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 11, 2017, 04:24:32 PM
A little dab'll do ya!

That is what she told her girlfriends, after she got preggers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 08:44:17 AM
My last sentence "wasn't even wrong" and you didn't call me on it.  There is a blog, by a mathematician, who correctly criticizes the physicists .. named "Not Even Wrong".  He wrote a good book too, really headache inducing.  So not anecdotal ... he knows enough math to know when the physicists are pulling Higgs bosons out of the asses.

Since the Higgs Boson has finally been detected, who is pulling what out of where?  Science marches on.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 15, 2017, 03:05:33 AM
Since the Higgs Boson has finally been detected, who is pulling what out of where?  Science marches on.

They didn't find the Higgs ... yet.  There may be more than one, because there isn't just one theory.  Supersymmetry wasn't confirmed, and that is in the same domain of discussion as the Higgs.  Confirmation will take years.  They had to name, the puny resonance that they detected, as a Higgs, to please the European tax payers.  If you want to know more, I can help in the Physics section.  Yes, we will have warp drive, just as soon as people un-warp their pop-physics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 11, 2017, 07:01:39 AM
'Because' is a theologian's answer.  The proper philosopher's answer is 'Why not?'
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Ro3bert

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 14, 2016, 04:02:33 PM
They always happen on July 32nd..

Good, I won't have to be another year old then. I don't really need an 84th year. I've seen too many of them already.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 15, 2017, 01:26:25 PM
'Because' is a theologian's answer.  The proper philosopher's answer is 'Why not?'

That is still a lazy thinker's answer.