ShoeOnHead takes down feminism

Started by PickelledEggs, July 11, 2016, 06:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Because I'm a white male and am not allowed an opinion on anything lately, I'll let a girl say it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo2dTzRdypY

GSOgymrat

Trigger Warning: Old person rant ahead.

I'm obviously not the target demographic of that video but as an outsider I feel if these young women believe the problems they will face in their lives as adult women are catcalls and having their sentences interrupted they are in for a rude awakening. Here is just one problem they may want to consider:

You might want to stay home with your child but you won't be able to because you will be forced to work to pay off the huge student loans that gave you a college degree that doesn't translate into a career. Chances are, if you find a good job, you will make the same wage as a man but even if it is less that difference will be insignificant compared to the expense of daycare, so you can pay strangers to raise your children.

This is the type of problem feminism should be addressing. Feminism is supposed to be about empowering women to have more control over their lives but many don't seem to recognize their choices are narrowing. This is one of my concerns about the focus on identity politics, which is a valid way of looking at a situation but isn't the ONLY perspective. The situation I described isn't adequately explained looking through the lens of identity and privilege.

This weird myopic focus on gender politics just frustrates me. The "Bathroom Bill" in NC is a prime example. Everyone is losing their minds about transgender people using the appropriate bathroom, a "problem" that has never resulted in ONE single arrest, but the other parts of the same legislation include TAKING AWAY THE ABILITY TO GO TO COURT IN NC FOR DISCRIMINATION BASED ON GENDER, RACE, AGE OR SEXUAL ORIENTATION and BANNING ANY NC CITY FROM RAISING THE MINIMUM WAGE.

WHICH IS THE BIGGER ISSUE! WHICH AFFECTS MORE PEOPLE! WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!

"Feminists" today are wringing their hands over being called "sweetie" but don't even realize they have given away their right to sue their employer for sexual discrimination in a state court!

The law addresses the minimum wage, and does not allow any local government to set a minimum wage.

“The legislature took that power expressly away, so forbade any local government from raising the minimum wage beyond what federal and state law require,” Clarke said.

Clarke teaches employment law at the Charlotte School of Law after being an employment lawyer for 11 years. He says one sentence in the law was very big.

The law states, “This Article does not create, and shall not be construed to create or support, a statutory or common law private right of action, and no person may bring any civil action based on the public policy expressed herein.”

“In a very hidden way, it eliminated the ability for employees in North Carolina to file claims under state law for employment discrimination on the basis of race, sex, national origin, color and age,” Clarke said, “And that’s a right that North Carolina employees have had since 1982… and it’s gone.”

Clarke said North Carolina is now only one of two states that don’t provide these employment protections.[/I}

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 11, 2016, 08:22:26 PMThis weird myopic focus on gender politics just frustrates me. The "Bathroom Bill" in NC is a prime example. Everyone is losing their minds about transgender people using the appropriate bathroom, a "problem" that has never resulted in ONE single arrest, but the other parts of the same legislation include TAKING AWAY THE ABILITY TO GO TO COURT IN NC FOR DISCRIMINATION BASED ON GENDER, RACE, AGE OR SEXUAL ORIENTATION and BANNING ANY NC CITY FROM RAISING THE MINIMUM WAGE.

WHICH IS THE BIGGER ISSUE! WHICH AFFECTS MORE PEOPLE! WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!

drunkenshoe

I tried to watch the video, because I thought if I guessed correctly I probably agree with her actual point. But honestly couldn't pass 3 minutes, because her aim is not making a point, but appealing to emotion. This video is made for ages between what... 15-21?

What does flower crowns in anywhere have to do with anything related to this topic? Just curious.

And Pickel, your ridiculous title? Aiming for cheap provocation? "A girl who can't legally drink yet, takes down feminism in 11 minutes". Yeah...take that feminists! :lol:

Can you imagine what would have happened if a female poster posted an equivelant of this in this forum with a similar title? 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Good post GSO. Agreed.

However the reason of this mess is that not just young women but also young men and anti-feminists think feminism is about what is suppoosedly being criticised in the OP. Hence the title of the thread and all the emotional, sarcastic teenager ranting approach to the issue at both sides.

Social media fucked up several generations on the gender issues. Nothing is real. Fake imaginary problems, fake exaggerated reactions...pop culture entertainment. Has nothing to do with feminism, male or female issues.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GSOgymrat

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 12, 2016, 04:46:04 AM
Good post GSO. Agreed.

However the reason of this mess is that not just young women but also young men and anti-feminists think feminism is about what is suppoosedly being criticised in the OP. Hence the title of the thread and all the emotional, sarcastic teenager ranting approach to the issue at both sides.

Social media fucked up several generations on the gender issues. Nothing is real. Fake imaginary problems, fake exaggerated reactions...pop culture entertainment. Has nothing to do with feminism, male or female issues.

I chalk a lot of what I see online regarding this topic to adolescence, which now runs until about age 25 when the brain stops developing. Many of these gender concerns are important to young people who are making these videos. There is a phrase I try to keep in mind with adolescents:

We should consider the idea that youth is not actually wasted on the young. That their dramas are no more grand than they should be. That their emotions make perfect sense, once you adjust for inflation. For someone going through adolescence, life feels epic and tragic simply because it is: every kink in your day could easily warp the arc of your story. Because each year is worth a little less than the last.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 12, 2016, 09:14:04 AM

We should consider the idea that youth is not actually wasted on the young. That their dramas are no more grand than they should be. That their emotions make perfect sense, once you adjust for inflation. For someone going through adolescence, life feels epic and tragic simply because it is: every kink in your day could easily warp the arc of your story. Because each year is worth a little less than the last.

You're on a roll this morning!

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 12, 2016, 09:14:04 AM
I chalk a lot of what I see online regarding this topic to adolescence, which now runs until about age 25 when the brain stops developing. Many of these gender concerns are important to young people who are making these videos. There is a phrase I try to keep in mind with adolescents:

I completely agree with that. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't react to it. Actually we should react more often.

Being young also means they are easy to be used, abused, manipulated...etc. In the last 6-7 years social media uses the currency of sensational vlogs and blogs. They transform the usual hightened emotion of the youth; being young; their frustrations and feelings to some sort of set of products; imaginary problems, victimhoods and baseless home cooked ideologies. It makes money and it gets clicks. It creates a happening. Add that to the new hypermodern life that is more spent in infront of a computer this creates a very unhealthy environment for young men and women, esp. when they are in the process of developing certain categories and vision of life and world.

This social media bullshit about this very specific subject changes young people from healthy neutral, independent thinking individuals who usually reacts according to their reason and intuition to screen agravated, agitated people subscribed to one team that cannot give a sensible respond, nor can distinguish real life problems from the ones imposed on them.

And when the real life and real relationships come, things are not like watching vlogs or youtube videos and commenting on them. Actually I'll go further and claim that this net of bullshit affects young men and women on having partners; getting a relationship or even drive them further away from TRYING it or decisions they make about their private lives.

It's dumbing them down severely. And I have been watching that happening here too. There is nothing wrong with poking them or annoying them about it and pointing out that it is indeed bullshit. 

And there is also the aspect of adults living in this fake, painted world, but that is a different bag of bullshit.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on July 12, 2016, 09:30:43 AM
You're on a roll this morning!

He is often like that. I read him. 

stromboli

Everybody is probably right
argue their point until late in the night
belabor your point till everybody groans
I'll chalk it all up to hormones

run your mouth until your gums bleed
make your point you might succeed
somebody else will disagree
debate that shit and then we'll see

but everybody got hormones

women we know are underpaid
men just mostly want to get laid
and that's why boy friends tend to agree
hey that's right! Listen to she!

Simply put, its hormones

You want to have kids and look good dressed
have a career and don't be stressed
you get it going, going and then oh shit
about that time menopause hits

Chalk it all up to hormones

strident voices and fists be shakin'
I swear we all want Brie with our bacon
and have it all handed on a platter
but what is excess, what matters?

Hey but maybe its hormones

So nod with every conversation
politically correct every word we're makin'
disagree you're a chauvinist twat
but politically correct you're certainly not

Indignant, dude? That's hormones!

Carry on......

drunkenshoe

:rotflmao: 

It comes with its own music. I started to sway reading it. 

Cavebear

Quote from: stromboli on July 12, 2016, 12:09:35 PM
Everybody is probably right
argue their point until late in the night
belabor your point till everybody groans
I'll chalk it all up to hormones

run your mouth until your gums bleed
make your point you might succeed
somebody else will disagree
debate that shit and then we'll see

but everybody got hormones

women we know are underpaid
men just mostly want to get laid
and that's why boy friends tend to agree
hey that's right! Listen to she!

Simply put, its hormones

You want to have kids and look good dressed
have a career and don't be stressed
you get it going, going and then oh shit
about that time menopause hits

Chalk it all up to hormones

strident voices and fists be shakin'
I swear we all want Brie with our bacon
and have it all handed on a platter
but what is excess, what matters?

Hey but maybe its hormones

So nod with every conversation
politically correct every word we're makin'
disagree you're a chauvinist twat
but politically correct you're certainly not

Indignant, dude? That's hormones!

Carry on......

Decent poetry,
Not so accuracy,
The premise is
The hormones rule,
And minds escape that,
You poor damn fool.

Forgive the sarcasm  but I think you give hormones and gender more respect than the brain and thinking.  I've know enough women who think and enough men how are captive to desires.  Suggesting all on one side or the other is not rational.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!