Author Topic: Quit running around the Bhodi tree  (Read 6387 times)

Offline Aupmanyav

Re: Quit running around the Bhodi tree
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 02:24:33 AM »
Quote from: "mykcob4"
I find it funny that Hindi's actually claim Buddha as their own. He was a prince but that is where it ends. His awakening was a manifestation of his own thoughts and isn't part of any religion. Just because people started adopting him and then teaching their own religion and politics doesn't make the Buddha part of them in any way.
I find no difference between hinduism and buddhism. Making one into a God is our way of honoring a person, sort of a Nobel Prize. We have a full Noble Prize and also partial Nobel Prizes which were awarded to people like Kassapa of the buddhists and Rishabha of the Jains. We term them as 'Amsha Avataras', partial emanations). We have even more divisions of the prizes for lesser mortals.

"The various avatars categorized in many different ways. For example: Purusavatara is the first avatara; Gunavataras are represented by the Trimurti (Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva) who each preside over one of the Gu?as (rajas, sattva, and tamas); Lilavataras are the well-known ones, and include Avesavataras (beings into whom part of God Himself has entered) and saktyamsavesa (into whom only parts of His power enter); Kalpa-, Manvantara-, and Yuga-avataras descend during different cosmic ages." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar#Avatars_of_Vishnu

The buddhists are at liberty to consider Buddha in any way they like, for us he is the ninth avatara of Lord Vishnu.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 05:36:44 PM »
Here we go round the bhodi tree,
The bhodi tree,
The bhodi tree.
Here we go round the bhodi tree
So early in the morning.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Offline Aupmanyav

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 09:13:43 PM »
:)
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)

Offline leo

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 02:14:08 PM »
Quote from: "St Giordano Bruno"
Here we go round the bhodi tree,
The bhodi tree,
The bhodi tree.
Here we go round the bhodi tree
So early in the morning.
I like this song.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »
Quote from: "Aupmanyav"
I find no difference between hinduism and buddhism. Making one into a God is our way of honoring a person, sort of a Nobel Prize.
Apotheosis seems to be a common occurrence in the premodern world.  I suppose the intent is good, but it can be a dangerous thing when one forgets the man and remembers only the god.  Christianity comes readily to mind as an example of this process going horribly awry.

Online Shiranu

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »
I know we aren't suppose to run around it, but can we at least sit under it?

(Note: I'm not that ugly anymore, obviously :P)
"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion..." - Nelson Mandela

"Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be." - Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Aupmanyav

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »
Quote from: "Hydra009"
I suppose the intent is good, but it can be a dangerous thing when one forgets the man and remembers only the god.
Hinduism is receptive. It may have borrowed a lot from Buddhists and Jains.

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »
Quote from: "Solitary"
What Buddha taught originally was nothing like what the various schools taught even in his own time. It has been corrupted by the Judeo-Christian-Islamic-religions.  There were no prayers, rituals, God or gods, absolute dogma in his original teachings, and he never believed what he taught was of divine intervention or that he was a god, even though the Hindu religion claims he is. It was, and is, a good philosophy to live by, nothing more. Bill

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 11:53:29 PM »
Seriously you're going to post the same shit copy and pasted? Pretty weak sauce.........I wanna be a mod so I can ban for spam~
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 02:48:35 AM »
Hinduism was around long before Buddhism. Hindusim's roots appear during the Harappan period before 1900 BCE.  Siddhartha Gautama's birthday is given as 400 BCE, so Hinduism was well along before Buddhism showed up. Hinduism later adopted some tenets of Buddhism after it became a religion, but it does predate it by some centuries.

And yes, there are many similarities. That is what happens when you have two religions comingling over centuries.

Offline leo

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »
This buddhist alternative dude is WAY OFFFFFFFFF.   [-(
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 03:22:40 PM »

Newsflash there, BA. You are not born with awareness of a supreme being. It is a concept you encounter and either accept or reject. You believe in god because you accepted the concept, period.

This copy/paste crap on different threads is horseshit. People aren't debating you because this is all SOSDD; same old shit, different day. By all means go over on a science forum and debate this shit. Really, they are waiting for you. Don't hesitate.

Online Shiranu

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 03:26:53 PM »
I did offer a light rebuttal on the other thread he copypasta-d, but I have the feeling he is already on to the next forum :P.
"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion..." - Nelson Mandela

"Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be." - Miguel de Cervantes

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 03:28:10 PM »
Quote from: "Shiranu"
I did offer a light rebuttal on the other thread he copypasta-d, but I have the feeling he is already on to the next forum :P.

Don't get my hopes up, Shiranu.  :-D

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 04:14:29 PM »
Buddha started off as a Hindu, but to say is still one in his later beliefs is BS, like saying Jesus was a man and later became a God. Buddha never believed he was a god or his teachings were from divine intervention. Buddhism is no more a religion than atheism is, even if both can be considered a religion by one definition of religion as a common belief. What Buddha taught is a good way to live ones life, unless you want to know the supernatural that nobody knows about because they live in the natural world like all people that start superstitious nonsense called religion. Turning Buddhism into a religion is a corruption of his dogma that was not a demand, but a suggestions to live a better life.  :roll: Unbelievable that Christianity, and its dogma, even effects a rational belief system that Buddha had in his later life.  [-X  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.