Dallas Police 'Ambush': 11 Officers Shot, 5 Killed During Protest

Started by drunkenshoe, July 08, 2016, 05:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Mermaid on July 09, 2016, 10:32:21 AM
I am freaked out by it.

I'm not freaked out, but I certainly find it disquieting.  I want all cops to be good cops, but I don't want people shooting cops because some of them are bad cops either. 

drunkenshoe

I think this is beyond all that 'racism in police force' or the usual 'gun issues' or the 'ah old fıcking racism' issues. That stops have been passed.

Now, potentially, it is a whole new level of a domestic terrorism issue. It's really not my intention to scare anyone. Just trying to wrap my head around it. Don't mind me.

I need another beer. Weather is weird here. Probably things will turn out OK. You guys hang in there.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Being a historian I've already read all this, years ago.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Not freaked out.  And I must admit that I was not surprised about the Dallas sniper.  I am a bit surprised it has taken this long to show up.  Not freaked out----but concerned.  This could shape up into a racist tit-for-tat with the extreme on each side going for it.  This sniper--military trained and hardened--just demonstrates once again just how easy it is to amass an armory if one wants to.  This guy had one and he knew how to use all of it.  It seems our police are not trained well enough in what is excessive force and how to avoid it.  I will also say that 95% of all the police are average guys--which means they don't have malice in their hearts.  But it also seems to me that they will have to join ranks with other like mined police and help get rid of the other 5%.  That, tho, is a huge and difficult task, I realize.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 09, 2016, 12:11:18 PM
Being a historian I've already read all this, years ago.

Yeah you keep writing that in various different threads. And it sounds more like 'I don't give a fuck' or 'have nothing to say' than what you think it does, because bluntly put, I haven't seen you putting two paragraphs together successfuly linking two recent events or one event to a possible set of causes and conditions with a rational ground, let alone making a relevant interprertation based on historical analysis about current issues.

Pretty much like the media that created an enormous net of tabloid business out of every serious issue, domestic or global, in your country which you love to whine about every time there is an issue connected to gun problems. Basically, you just get offended when someone 'talks back' to military or argue about strict gun control.

We are not having a competition on who knows more or who can guess the score better. This is not a hollywood action movie airing on some cable. It's your country. There are real people living in it. 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 09, 2016, 01:00:15 PM
Not freaked out.  And I must admit that I was not surprised about the Dallas sniper.  I am a bit surprised it has taken this long to show up.  Not freaked out----but concerned.  This could shape up into a racist tit-for-tat with the extreme on each side going for it.  This sniper--military trained and hardened--just demonstrates once again just how easy it is to amass an armory if one wants to.  This guy had one and he knew how to use all of it.  It seems our police are not trained well enough in what is excessive force and how to avoid it.  I will also say that 95% of all the police are average guys--which means they don't have malice in their hearts.  But it also seems to me that they will have to join ranks with other like mined police and help get rid of the other 5%.  That, tho, is a huge and difficult task, I realize.

All of us are average. Good-evil; malice, grace... religious categories. Means nothing. People act violently on fear-anger and hatred. There are articles written about racism in the police force by black cops, have you read any of it?

This is not a gun issue, per se. Or the police force being unsuccessful. Why would they think someone would go long distance on them, after a peaceful protest, engaging in a stand off for hours?

When did that happen last in this context? Did it ever? DC snipers shot people black and white. Random. The last time someone killed people for their race long distance was in last of 70s; J. P. Franklin. Ordinary serial killer. No political context.

Nonsensei

DS it almost sounds a little bit like you want this to become a really big deal or a continuing trend.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 09, 2016, 01:16:38 PM
Yeah you keep writing that in various different threads. And it sounds more like 'I don't give a fuck' or 'have nothing to say' than what you think it does, because bluntly put, I haven't seen you putting two paragraphs together successfuly linking two recent events or one event to a possible set of causes and conditions with a rational ground, let alone making a relevant interprertation based on historical analysis about current issues.

Pretty much like the media that created an enormous net of tabloid business out of every serious issue, domestic or global, in your country which you love to whine about every time there is an issue connected to gun problems. Basically, you just get offended when someone 'talks back' to military or argue about strict gun control.

We are not having a competition on who knows more or who can guess the score better. This is not a hollywood action movie airing on some cable. It's your country. There are real people living in it. 

Who pissed in your Post Toasties?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

All I know is that America is quite lucky that the majority of African Americans just want justice and not revenge. But you can only push people so far before some of them will snap, and that's what happened. I have the feeling if American continues to treat Africans like "sub-human criminals"... then events like this, or the riots we saw awhile back, will just continue to grow more common. That said, I don't see it ever becoming some type of national threat but rather just isolated cases that flare up after an injustice and then calm down until the next innocent black guy is brutally murdered.

And then everyone will cry, and nothing will change, and the cycle will just continue because politicians don't give a shit what happens to us plebeians.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Shiranu on July 09, 2016, 03:27:21 PM
And then everyone will cry, and nothing will change, and the cycle will just continue because politicians don't give a shit what happens to us plebeians.

I disagree. This kind of fatalism ignores history and ignores the reality of our current political situation. It is a cognitive distortion.

Jack89

Unfortunately, this was inevitable.  Organization like BLM preach hate, politicians and the media support it, and people start believing it.  I'm guessing this kid, the killer, bought into the hate and went all the way with it.  Kind of reminds me of the downtrodden white kids in the 70s who saw themselves going nowhere and went full neo-nazi skinhead.

I personally think the media is the worse, but politicians trying to play the PC game are a close second. 

Shiranu

QuoteOrganization like BLM preach hate...

Citation required... especially since BLM is an umbrella term for a leaderless and extremely fractioned group all fighting for one similar cause (the idea that black [and minority] lives are just as valuable as a white man's and should be treated as such) but share no true national unification.

Are there elements of BLM that preach hate? Obviously. Just like there are groups of atheists, green movement, hippies, etc. who preach hate and violence. Does that mean atheists, tree huggers and hippies are also violent because a small minority is? No.

Quotepoliticians and the media support it

Politicians and the media are overwhelmingly against BLM.

QuoteI personally think the media is the worse, but politicians trying to play the PC game are a close second.

To each their own... I find the police officers and white community that think marginalization and murder of minorities... the complete disregard for them as actual living beings instead of "numbers on the television or probably criminal gangsters"... and a systematic oppression of minorities that continues to this day (and I don't blame this on America or whatever... this is a very human thing regardless of where you are) to be a much worse thing.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

AllPurposeAtheist

The people I've spoken with who support BLM are not hate mongers at all, but do want fundamental justice.
I've seen black men treated far worse up close and personal.
I stood in a courtroom charged with driving with no license. A black man was also there charged with the same offense. His record was cleaner than my own, but I walked out of the courtroom to go home while he was dragged right off to jail for 90 days. That happened immediately after my case. A big part of me wanted to tell the judge off and call out his blatant racism, but I'll admit that I was afraid. I've felt shame for a long time now for not speaking up, but at the same time I wanted to go home and I did.
The way black people are treated by police and the courts is no fantasy. It's a coordinated effort by the powers that be to marginalize the black community,  their families and to take away their ability to use the legal system for fundamental fairness.
I'm rather surprised that there hasn't been much more violence.
I'll be honest if I were a black man in this country I'd be afraid to go anywhere near a police officer. I can perfectly understand the hatred and to be honest a lot of it is justified.
Back in the 90s in Dayton Ohio I was on the west side of town to pick up a friend to go to work. That day Dayton police decided to have a "drug sweep". What happened is that everyone who was outside that day in the neighborhood was arrested and taken to jail, myself included. We were released later on, but we were both late for work.
Nothing justified the actions by police that day and nobody was ever held accountable. The police were able to arrest anyone they wanted for no other reason than being outside on a Saturday afternoon and it was common all around the country.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

baronvonrort

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 09, 2016, 09:41:56 AM

Someone making a plan; getting a long distance assault weapon, picking a spot to kill specific targets (white, police officer) execution style, one by one, supposedly declaring racial hatred while doing it, just hours after the president of the country defined 2 shootings that killed 2 black people with days apart as an "American issue" in this specific election season, where one of the candidate is thriving on racist remarks.

The AR15 is not a long distance weapon the .223 rem/5.56 nato has never been considered a long distance round, and yes the killer was a racist who hated whitefellas

The fact is far more whites are shot and killed by police than blacks in the USA, the whitefellas don't go around rioting and looting flat screen TV's when the cops shot a white criminal.

For July we have 13 shot and killed with 119 shot and wounded in Chicago, did Obama spend much time in Chicago?
I guess black lives only matter when white people shoot them they never say anything about black on black crime.
www.heyjackass.com

Shiranu

QuoteThe fact is far more whites are shot and killed by police than blacks in the USA...

I audibly sighed at this... have you taken a math class? Do you understand what "proportions" and "percentages" are?

QuoteI guess black lives only matter when white people shoot them they never say anything about black on black crime.

Except the majority of black leaders DO address problems within their community as well as without... and seriously, what is with you people saying, "No, how dare the black community address one issue! They have to address every problem at once or they are racist!".

Smh.