News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"Ark Encounter" Opens Today

Started by stromboli, July 07, 2016, 09:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 04:42:04 PM
Evidence must be true. If you have never murdered anyone there can be no evidence that you have.

You have no reason to trust your senses, do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I murdered people thru my taxes and other support of government ... but there is no blood on my hands ... better than M&Ms.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 14, 2016, 10:24:09 AM
If by global flood you mean the flood narrative described Genesis chapters 6â€"9 then yes the event described in Genesis is absolutely impossible. The Genesis flood narrative was borrowed from Mesopotamian mythology.

I like the Sumerian original better.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on October 14, 2016, 03:24:51 PM
I can say there is a complete lack of evidence for a global flood within the last billion years, but you will not accept that.  A global flood of that description would leave behind lots of evidence of itself, even if it demolishes all evidence of anything that came before it.

We have a pretty rich geological record.  There is plenty of evidence in it for what came before right now.

I can say there is no evidence for such a flood and plenty against, and we have never found the unfinished Tower of Babel.

There is an unfinished ziggurat in Elam ... but that wasn't the first of its kind.  The legend probably refers to the break up of human society around Gobekle Tepe in S Turkey (where the oldest stone monuments were found, way earlier than the Pyramids).  The legend of Nimrod probably goes back to that time as well (the people didn't farm yet, they only hunted and gathered).  It is a historical development, that after the first tribe did X ... that in the future there would be tribe Y, Z etc ... and the tribes don't speak the same language.  Tribes in New Guinea demonstrate this.  One valley over, the language is unintelligible.  The idea of the gods being jealous of man etc ... goes back to the Sumerian myths.  In Sumeria, the humans were the slaves of the gods, but the overworked humans kept making noise at night, and kept the gods from getting a good sleep.  That is why the gods wanted to drown us, to drown out the noise, and get a good nights sleep, so they wouldn't be so cranky.  But one god didn't think that was right ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 06:59:13 PM
What I am saying is that you have no basis to trust your reasoning and senses, so you have no basis to determine whether something is true or false.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is epistemological nihilism.  If you aren't Nietzsche, you can't take that position, it is already taken ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Baruch on October 14, 2016, 08:17:53 PM
There is an unfinished ziggurat in Elam ... but that wasn't the first of its kind.  The legend probably refers to the break up of human society around Gobekle Tepe in S Turkey (where the oldest stone monuments were found, way earlier than the Pyramids).  The legend of Nimrod probably goes back to that time as well (the people didn't farm yet, they only hunted and gathered).  It is a historical development, that after the first tribe did X ... that in the future there would be tribe Y, Z etc ... and the tribes don't speak the same language.  Tribes in New Guinea demonstrate this.  One valley over, the language is unintelligible.  The idea of the gods being jealous of man etc ... goes back to the Sumerian myths.  In Sumeria, the humans were the slaves of the gods, but the overworked humans kept making noise at night, and kept the gods from getting a good sleep.  That is why the gods wanted to drown us, to drown out the noise, and get a good nights sleep, so they wouldn't be so cranky.  But one god didn't think that was right ...

If creationists insist on a literal Flood, they have to insist on a literal Tower.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on October 14, 2016, 08:26:54 PM
If creationists insist on a literal Flood, they have to insist on a literal Tower.

The original Janga ;-)  Always falls down eventually, therefore ... G-d!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

A peculiarity of this site is that I find myself wanting to argue trivia with people I almost altogether agree with.  I'll try to watch out for that.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on October 15, 2016, 08:21:16 AM
A peculiarity of this site is that I find myself wanting to argue trivia with people I almost altogether agree with.  I'll try to watch out for that.
Lots of people here will happily strain at gnats and swallow camels.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 15, 2016, 09:03:14 AM
Lots of people here will happily strain at gnats and swallow camels.

Dromedary or Bactrian?  The Bactrian goes down hard!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on October 15, 2016, 12:05:09 PM
Dromedary or Bactrian?  The Bactrian goes down hard!
But you like it  hard, no?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 15, 2016, 12:07:35 PM
But you like it  hard, no?

If your profession is sword swallower ... don't hiccup!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on October 15, 2016, 01:04:10 PM
If your profession is sword swallower ... don't hiccup!
Some people will swallow anything. That's where the legend of ELEVEN comes from.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

That's where ALL Legends come in.  From Adam to Gilgamesh to Heracul to Thor.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!