News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

4th of July Cookout

Started by PopeyesPappy, July 03, 2016, 08:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Been getting ready for our annual 4th of July family cookout for most of the afternoon. 16 lbs of pork butts go in the smoker at 10 tonight. 20 lbs of baby backs go in at 8 in the morning. Planning on eating around 2. You're all welcome to stop by. First come first serve...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm sitting out by the lake waiting for one of the local yahoos to blow a finger or two off.. I hope no stray rocket comes my way or hits the house.. Idiots..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

How nice of you to not include the address……butt-head…

any-hoo…..I accidentally got drunk….yeah accidentally….you got a problem with dat?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: aitm on July 03, 2016, 09:56:06 PM
How nice of you to not include the address……butt-head…

Anyone that can be in Huntsville tomorrow afternoon can PM me for the address...  :agreenod:

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 03, 2016, 10:12:56 PM
Anyone that can be in Huntsville tomorrow afternoon can PM me for the address...  :agreenod:

What state?

Draconic Aiur

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 03, 2016, 11:04:17 PM
What state?

Alabama. The red star not the house. Google doesn't know...

AllPurposeAtheist

You're actually a days drive from us here in Columbia, but we're not going to make it. We still have the old folks to look after and still don't have tags on the RV yet.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

I'll have to settle for ribeyes with me and the wife, shrimp salad with zucchini, asparagus and Key Lime Pie (store bought). And beer. The wife never caught on with drinking, so just me.

Mermaid

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 03, 2016, 11:31:57 PM
Alabama. The red star not the house. Google doesn't know...

I read that as "Turducken Church of Christ" and was thinking you southerners are serious about your barbecue.

I smoked some spare ribs on the grill with mesquite, the smoking worked surprisingly well. The ribs turned out bad though. Too dry. I think I need to change the sequence of events: Rub, then bake, then smoke, then finish with sauce on flames.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Mermaid on July 04, 2016, 08:25:58 AM
I read that as "Turducken Church of Christ" and was thinking you southerners are serious about your barbecue.

I smoked some spare ribs on the grill with mesquite, the smoking worked surprisingly well. The ribs turned out bad though. Too dry. I think I need to change the sequence of events: Rub, then bake, then smoke, then finish with sauce on flames.

The butts went in the 225 degree smoker about 13 hours ago. Meat probe says they are at 172 degrees. I'll pull them out at 195, wrap them aluminium foil and put them in a cooler to keep warm. They may be done a little early, but the cooler will keep them warm and they need to rest for at least an hour anyway. I put the rub on the ribs last night at about 8 then put them back in the fridge. Pulled the membrane off the back first. They went in the smoker a few minutes ago. In a couple or 3 hours I'll wrap them in aluminium foil then back in the smoker for a couple more hours. I've been spritzing everything with a concoction of apple cider vinegar, apple juice, water and olive oil.

stromboli

Doing ribs I use Cherry wood from the tree I cut down a few years ago. Rub the ribs 2 hours ahead of time, use charcoal in the smoker to get the temperature up and put the soaked Cherry wood chunks in perforated Aluminum foil on the charcoal. Takes about 1/2 hour to get up to heat, then put the ribs in. After they develop a good glaze and have a good smoked exterior, I wrap the ribs in foil and set away from the heat, watching the temp. Remove at 180 and let rest for a good half hour. The temperature will come up another 5-10 degrees while resting. Get good moist ribs every time.

The trick for me is to get the good glaze first, which seals in the moisture. After that keep it moist by wrapping and letting the ribs get up to heat. They get dry when exposed to too much heat and allowed to bake uncovered for too long.

This year I'm going to do some chicken and pork shoulder because I haven't tried that yet. My problem is I'm too busy doing shit for other people or else going on vacation. We are leaving for Zion's National Park on Wednesday. Taking the metal detector and going detecting in the area where the Mountain Meadow Massacre happened. Might find some shit, you never know.

Flanker1Six

Glad I don't have PTSD.  My neighbors have reenacting some famous battle from somewhere the last two evenings until about 2300!   No casualties so far.........................

drunkenshoe

One day you'll find me in your door step just before one of your 4th of July feasts and you won't even get what happened. :lol:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

widdershins

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 03, 2016, 08:19:30 PM
Been getting ready for our annual 4th of July family cookout for most of the afternoon. 16 lbs of pork butts go in the smoker at 10 tonight. 20 lbs of baby backs go in at 8 in the morning. Planning on eating around 2. You're all welcome to stop by. First come first serve...
You are SO lucky the people in my town don't come here.  When I was going to church there was this one couple who always came to church alone, EXCEPT when there was free food.  Then they LITERALLY brought a bus full of kids, grandkids, neighbors, even strangers sometimes, I think.  I think it was an old school bus, but that was many moons ago.  But it WAS a bus, and not a tiny one.  If my town had more atheists and they had seen this, they WOULD HAVE found you!
This sentence is a lie...