News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

We got an alternate home

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, July 03, 2016, 03:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

We're set up now to go traveling, but primarily for now its going to act as the guest house when family comes piling in on us later this month.
Everything on it works and the previous owner took meticulous care of it.  Stove, fridge, plumbing and lights all work including the shower, toilet, etc., and best of all it doesn't leak anywhere at all.
Actually the best part was the price,  $3200. It's on a Ford 350 frame with a 460 engine clean as an 87 can be without a total overhaul.. It's just over 25' long total. Gas mileage is probably going to suck, but oh well..I doubt we'll be pushing it over the Ural mountains, but for getting around SC and surrounding states..not too bad of a deal.
We looked at several others in far worse shape that cost a few thousand bucks more..

Even though the interior is in pretty good shape I can and probably will do some customizing and updating and do away with the 87 cheesy wood paneling,but no hurries.
If I get really ambitious I might give it a new paint job, but since it won't fit in the garage that might have to wait till I can figure out a way to rig up an outside temporary spray booth or find a body shop willing to rent out their facilities for a day. It's not as if I don't have the experience handling a spray gun although I'm not sure I want to shell out $500 or more for a new HVLP gun and $5-600 for the automotive paint not to mention spending a few days sanding the whole thing down plus the cost of the sander and compressor and scafolding to get around it.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

You got a helluva deal. That is a good sized truck frame and more importantly enough engine for the vehicle. A big V8 can get relatively decent mileage considering. I wouldn't be shocked to see it on the high side of 10 mpg. I've owned a few ford trucks including a couple of 250s and never had issues with the engines. Last truck was a 150 with a big six engine that got 20 mpg on the freeway. Ford makes good motors, you might be surprised.

PopeyesPappy

$3200! Shit I wish I could find one in decent shape for that. As far as MPG goes I think Stromboli is being optimistic. I borrowed a 95 class B with a Ford 460 to go to Bristol a few years back and got around 9, but it was more streamline than yours. But for $3200 you can afford more gas which is running around $1.85 around here right now.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Mermaid

Nice! What about some shots of the inside?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Mermaid on July 03, 2016, 08:18:04 PM
Nice! What about some shots of the inside?
Until I wire the outlet for 30 amp service by the garage it's a bit too toasty inside to stand around talking pictures, but it's in decent shape.. Some of the upholstery is kind of old, but other than that it's in great shape..

AllPurposeAtheist

Got the 30 amp hooked up..That was fun despite the fact that I almost electrocuted myself, but it's done and safe.
Anyway..here's what it looks like on the street..

The signs on the door are coming off ASAP..
The cord hanging on the side and back is just temporary. I just hung it there to take the pictures for the insurance company. It's usually plugged in to the new outlet by the garage door and there is a storage compartment for it although I might fix some other type of way to store it when not in use. 

AllPurposeAtheist

Trying to figure out the smallest trailer I could get away with to have a mobile woodshop. We've thought of making small benches and tables to sell along the way to wherever we might be headed,  stuff like lawn furniture and so on simply because I can make them out of readily available 2x4s and so on*.. 

*Expert at redundancy in language

Mermaid

Nice! Almost big enough to cook meth in. :)

Seriously, I could easily live full time in a thing like that.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

stromboli

Good. Now get out there and clog up them interstates. The guy in the Subaru behind you shaking his fist will be me.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: stromboli on July 07, 2016, 09:27:37 AM
Good. Now get out there and clog up them interstates. The guy in the Subaru behind you shaking his fist will be me.
If I see a Subaru behind us I'll be sure to take my foot off the accelerator speed up for your convenience.

stromboli

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 07, 2016, 11:51:33 AM
If I see a Subaru behind us I'll be sure to take my foot off the accelerator speed up for your convenience.

I actually have zero time spent driving an RV. And many hours behind them shaking my fist in a variety of vehicles. Be sure and visit a National Park and get hung up on a tight twisty mountain road. And back it up half a mile with multiple people cursing at you.

Btw, if you do plan to drive it, I highly recommend you spend hours practicing backing it up long distances. Guaranteed you will be.  :2thumbs:

Flanker1Six

Looks great!  Me 'n the Crew (Satan's Disciples MC) will be by this weekend....................anything we should bring besides ****, and some spare ammo?   .)

Enjoy it and stay safe while out and about! 

huit

It looks good, try to use the space efficiently by decluttering it once in awhile.There are a lot of benefits in decluttering ( http://www.gorillabins.ca/blog/live-simple-and-reduce-clutter/ ). It saves up a lot of space and it makes home more serene and attractive.

AllPurposeAtheist

It's just for sale now. The Mrs decided she hates it now because it's old..not because there's anything wrong with it. The suspension is aging and she doesn't feel comfortable driving it with the older suspension that rocks a bit more than she's comfy with.. Anyway, starting bid $4k or trade for a pickup truck of equal value..