would christians or any other religious people....

Started by doorknob, June 30, 2016, 10:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomtuu77

Quote from: doorknob on June 30, 2016, 10:50:43 PM
Suffer a blow to their egos when they find out they were wrong? Is that the real reason they cling to some ancient garbage?

You know I was once told that people WANT to believe something naturally but I would argue that they were trained to be that way by their parents. I think deep down many suspect that religion is a farce but cling to it for dear life like their whole world would be shattered. If they only knew how free and enlightening it is to finally shed and reject the stupidity.
I'm not sure I even understand the question.  Anyone would suffer a blow to their ego if they found out that they were wrong about something.  Christians are no different in that regard.  In some cases, there are people who believe things for various reasons and spend a great deal of time in denial to protect those beliefs for whatever reason.  However, there are also people who believe things, including Christianity, because they genuinely believe them to be true.  In my case, I spent several years investigating Christianity as I transitioned from vague beliefs and a kind of hit & miss lifestyle passed on by my parents to something that was personal to me and well founded in terms of my own rational demands for satisfactory answers.  It's probably best not to brush too broadly on the issue.  People are very different, as are their beliefs and motivations for holding them.

In His Grip,

Gomtuu77
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry? -