Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Noah's Ark - 39 Problems

Started by GSOgymrat, June 30, 2016, 05:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 01, 2016, 07:15:43 AM
Why do you assume they are reasonable?

It isn't unreasonable to want to exterminate the human race.  It deserves it (sometimes).  We all are Caligula inside.  But since there is no evil, that doesn't endorse Original Sin.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on July 01, 2016, 07:04:10 AM
Gotta love those PKs (preacher kids).  My own daughter is one ;-)
PKs and CKs. (Cop's kids.) The first live set of boobies I ever saw belonged to a friendly CK.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on July 01, 2016, 07:17:48 AM
It isn't unreasonable to want to exterminate the human race.  It deserves it (sometimes).  We all are Caligula inside.  But since there is no evil, that doesn't endorse Original Sin.
I'm not Caligula on the inside.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

A saint?  Never one iota of urge to do something terrible, never the urge to hate humanity in general?  Not that I approve of acting on those emotions.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on July 01, 2016, 07:29:17 AM
A saint?  Never one iota of urge to do something terrible, never the urge to hate humanity in general?  Not that I approve of acting on those emotions.
Read what I said carefully.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 30, 2016, 05:25:23 PM

When I think about what made me an atheist the story of Noah's Ark always comes to mind. As a child attending Sunday school and vacation Bible school at the Methodist Church I found this story both impossible and upsetting.

It does for me too.  It may be the most well known Bible story, and it looms in the collective psyche because of the clarity with which it describes God's cruelty. It's darker than most other Bible messages.  And the rainbow and promises at the end don't bring much hope.  In modern day, everyone knows what causes a rainbow.  And if you accept the claims of Pat Robertson, God has been manifesting his cruelty through tornados, earthquakes, and plane crashes ever since, in spite of any promises he may have made.

I didn't have your upsetting reaction to the story though.  By the first time I had heard it, I had already lost hope and I had become deadened to the unescapable reality that God was sending me to Hell for eternity.  My reaction was no small thing, hardly the same as just a simple misunderstanding of the Bible metaphor.  It was a fundamental perverted twist of my psychological nature that wiped away all hope and self confidence, and I can remember the exact moment that psychological flip flop occurred in my consciousness.

That experience was as though a black curtain came down and smothered my emotional happiness.  The lasting effect was not that I no longer felt happiness as a child.  I did, but everything I experienced from then on was clouded by a pervasive knowledge that I had been beaten, and nothing could change my destiny.  I became a beaten person and that perception followed me into midlife affecting all my relationships with other people.

I almost think I should be immensely pissed off for being sold a bill of goods that negatively impacted my life for so long, but I don't have the time or energy to be as pissed off as I am probably entitled.  It's just a bad thing that shaped much of my early life, a thing that happened, and if it hadn't happened, there probably would have been something else.  So we move on.

Buying into a religion is like stepping in dog shit.  You first feel the squish and realize what just happened, but you don't dare reach down and brush off the shit.  You walk along finding some grass you can rub your shoe in.  Your walking is impeded as you half drag your foot, first on one side, and then the other, trying to get rid of the shit, until most of it is gone, but you still realize some of that shit is going to be there until you get home.  That's kind of the way I see religion.

GSOgymrat

SGOS, hearing your story and the stories of other people regarding religion has helped me appreciate how damaging believing a religion can be.

Munch

I've not quite figured out yet when was the point that made me decide to be an atheist, but I feel like the process just happened over a long time. I've always been a fan of fiction, fantasy, I was heavily into the kinds of tolkein type fantasy worlds, dragons and magics in those stories, as well as the sci fi genres and comics in the 90s.

I guess its the fact that I was never really fed the bullshit the bible had to it at home, unless you include back in the 80s when most British schools had bible and prayer sessions pushed on kids before it stopped being a mandatory things in schools. I never was dragged into thinking all the lessons in the bible were based on real events, they were just stories, and when I began to learn things like father christmas and the tooth fairy weren't real, as to did I think the same about the bible and god.

I think I became an atheist when I began to surf online, and read actual stories of what people went through under religious parents and practices, that it dawned on me what a cult it was.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Jason Harvestdancer

Want some real fun?  Any time a creationist insists on arguing Noah's Ark and the flood, go a few pages further in the Bible and insist on talking about the Tower of Babel.

It came so close to reaching heaven that Gawd had to strike it down.

Ask them about that tower, and how high it had to be to reach heaven.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on July 01, 2016, 11:28:43 AM
Want some real fun?  Any time a creationist insists on arguing Noah's Ark and the flood, go a few pages further in the Bible and insist on talking about the Tower of Babel.

It came so close to reaching heaven that Gawd had to strike it down.

Ask them about that tower, and how high it had to be to reach heaven.
Do we have any Biblical numbers for how many people were working on that thing? Plus infrastructure people, and non-involved people, and people in Tahiti, etc.?

QuoteThis means that there were 339 years between when Noah and the others left the ark and when the Tower of Babel was built.

Source.

PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Munch on July 01, 2016, 11:08:39 AM
I've not quite figured out yet when was the point that made me decide to be an atheist, but I feel like the process just happened over a long time. I've always been a fan of fiction, fantasy, I was heavily into the kinds of tolkein type fantasy worlds, dragons and magics in those stories, as well as the sci fi genres and comics in the 90s.

I guess its the fact that I was never really fed the bullshit the bible had to it at home, unless you include back in the 80s when most British schools had bible and prayer sessions pushed on kids before it stopped being a mandatory things in schools. I never was dragged into thinking all the lessons in the bible were based on real events, they were just stories, and when I began to learn things like father christmas and the tooth fairy weren't real, as to did I think the same about the bible and god.

I think I became an atheist when I began to surf online, and read actual stories of what people went through under religious parents and practices, that it dawned on me what a cult it was.

I too was an avid reader, especially of fiction and fantasy, and I think this made a difference regarding religion. When you are exposed to a lot of different stories and ideas, especially stories that resonate or ideas that are complex, then Noah's Ark becomes just a really bad story. I didn't think of myself as an atheist until I was an adult because I didn't seriously think about whether a god could actually exist. 

Flanker1Six

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 30, 2016, 09:21:21 PM

When a classroom of children all get punished because a few of them were talking I was the kid who said, "But I wasn't talking. Why should I miss recess when I was doing my work? It's not fair!" It wasn't fair the animals were punished because the people misbehaved.

This is also reinforced my aversion to being part of a group and resentment of peers who couldn't stay on task.

Aaaaahhhhhhh; group punishment for the sins of one/a few.  The hallmark of piss poor managers the world over............................no matter the organization they're with. 

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 30, 2016, 06:09:43 PM
I got asked to not come back to Sunday School, age 7, because I asked awkward questions about the Ark story. Win.

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

TomFoolery

An old meme but certainly worth sharing again:

How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

21CIconoclast

BIBLE NEWSFLASH UPDATE REGARDING NOAH'S ARK!

I have understood for a long time that you can't discuss reason with the inept pseudo-christian mind-set relative to science, paleontology, etc., but only to use their primitive Bronze and Iron Age bible against them where you'll either hear silence in the aftermath,  or some of the funniest apologetics and far reaching apologetics, hermeneutics, and metaphysical constructs known to man so as to save face in still believing in their Christian cult.

Regarding the topic of this thread being Noah's Ark, and to use their Yahweh god's direct inspired word, to wit: "Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate," (Gensis 7:2)

Barring any dinosaurs, the simple math states that 7 pairs = 14, plus 1 pair = 2. 14+2=16 OF EACH SPECIE! Yes, the bible contradicts itself ad infinitum, but I like to use this particular inspired by their Yahweh's word to put the final nail in the coffin.  Now, thus far, there’re 1.2 million different species on earth that Yahweh had to create at the onset for them to be here today, then x 16 pairs = 19.2 million species that had to be on Noah’s Ark. Yes, rarely do you see the church bring forth Genesis 7:2 for obvious reasons!

Number of animal species on planet earth:
http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.1001127

Furthermore, Noah and his incestuous family were on the waters in the Great Flood with 19.2 MILLION ANIMAL SPECIES in the 750 foot long and 75 foot wide Ark for 371 days. I know, stop laughing!  Can we assume that poor Noah’s work kept piling up on him? (Genesis 8:15â€"19) 

This is what the primitive Bronze and Iron Age belief in Christianity will do to it’s adherents going into the 21st century, and that is, making them the laughing stock to all rational thinkers.

“Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.“ (Proverbs 30:5)  EVERY word includes Genesis 7:2 where it states with specificity that 8 pairs of each animal specie was upon the Ark.  *Cough.*

Please, we all should know that the Christian god was one of many within the Before Common Era (Zeus, Mithra, Horus, et al.), therefore, please call him by his true name of "Yahweh, the Christian Jew god," or if you're conversing with a Trinitarian, the god is named Jesus/Yahweh.   In this way, it helps define even further in just how primitive the foundation of the Christian ruse actually is going into the 21st century.  Thanks.

“When Christians understand why you dismiss all the other gods in the Before Common Era, then you will understand why I dismiss your serial killer god named Yahweh.”