News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Demolishing The Messiah Myth

Started by stromboli, June 28, 2016, 12:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: freetodecide on October 13, 2016, 09:12:45 PM
If the big bang could be proven, which it cannot, than it also lends itself to being a miracle, something created out of nothing.
The big question is, what happens to the mind when the body perishes?
The worrying part for an atheist should be, that maybe the mind lives on. rev9.6 "They shall seek death and not find it"
The real testimony as to the validity of Jesus comes through the Holy Spirit, which also is the only unforgivable sin, through experiencing and than denying this witness.
There are so many assumptions in your short statement.  And so many attempts to explain the unknown--to make it known.  That may be understandable.  But it is also just wrong.  The big bang came from nothing?  How do you know that?  What if black holes, which sucks in all the surrounding energy of that part of space, gather so much and then separates from this universe?  That is more plausible than god did it.  Your big question is not my, even little, question.  The mind simply stops--just as your body does.  And that is it.  As an atheist I don't 'worry' about the end of my life.  It will end and that is that.  What you should worry about is whether Jesus was even a real person.  I assert he was not, but is simply a fiction; which is not such a stretch since his father, god, is also a fiction.  I don't 'worry' what a fiction has to offer me or not offer me.  The holy spirit is simply part of the fiction and is as real as god is.  And I could care less what your fiction calls a sin of any kind.  Your sin is a fiction as well.  And I know why your fiction is so popular for it answers those unknowns that we all face.  But theists seem to lack the courage to face life and death as they really are and not as they wish it to be.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solomon Zorn

Welcome, freetodecide. You need to start an introduction thread, before you start derailing topics. That being said, the brevity of your posts is appreciated. I'll try to be equally concise.

Quote from: freetodecideMankind was never given the tools to solve the God mystery, much like a chimp can never learn 5 languages.
The “God mystery” is manufactured by mankind, and very easy to solve: we made him up.

Quote from: freetodecideI am always sceptical when someone has "found God" because in my case it was the reverse.
So God found you. Did he lose you at the supermarket, and come back for you later? Maybe someone should call Child Protective Services on him.

Quote from: freetodecideHow does science explain a miracle?
The square root of negative evidence equals God.

Quote from: freetodecideThe human mind cannot conceive eternity and the physical evidence is, that both time and space are eternal.
And yet here you are, talking about the concept of eternity, which you can't conceive.

Quote from: freetodecideChurches are almost always flawed because of greed, lust, or power.
If it weren't for churches keeping the tradition alive, you probably never would have heard of Christ.

Quote from: freetodecideIslam can easily be dismissed because of plagiarism from the Bible and Torah and the blood lust of mohammed.
Christianity can easily be dismissed, because its foundation is built on the stories of Genesis, which are obvious myths.

Quote from: freetodecideCults like Mormanism are driven by the 10% tithe, the big evangelical churches are cashing in on the gullible and a tax free status.
Yep.

Quote from: freetodecideAtheism cannot exist on it's own, because it needs to bash religion to justify it's existence.
Don't confuse atheism with anti-theism.

Quote from: freetodecideMy experiences have taught me not to limit God to the power of my own mind, as he is full of surprises.
My experiences have taught me not to limit the curiosity of my own mind, to the power of God, as he is a primitive explanation for anything unknown.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Baruch

Quote from: freetodecide on October 13, 2016, 09:12:45 PM
If the big bang could be proven, which it cannot, than it also lends itself to being a miracle, something created out of nothing.
The big question is, what happens to the mind when the body perishes?
The worrying part for an atheist should be, that maybe the mind lives on. rev9.6 "They shall seek death and not find it"
The real testimony as to the validity of Jesus comes through the Holy Spirit, which also is the only unforgivable sin, through experiencing and than denying this witness.

You are almost correct ... keep up the seeking, and you will find.  But beware of the leven of the Pharisees ... Gentile Pharisees.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Christianity can easily be dismissed, because its foundation is built on the stories of Genesis, which are obvious myths."

Not just because Genesis is the first book (in a Bible that didn't exist as such until after the 1st century CE).  Kabbalah masters contemplating Genesis mostly ... and a few contemplating Ezekiel (source of apocalypse literature).  Creative madrash that went too far for the rabbis, in several respects.  It was the rabbis who first wanted to close the Jewish scripture canon ... after the destruction of Jerusalem, not before.  Christians didn't think of closing the Christian scripture canon until after the challenge of Marcion, around 150 CE ... and that was still an active debate until the late 4th century CE.  See the Gospel of Mary for a scenario of such contemplation of a heavenly Jesus, and the Gospel of Thomas for what revelation initially consisted in (aphorisms, not imaginary hagiography).

I have out grown myths myself, but they serve their purpose in educating the young ... though some of us want to toss out childhood entirely.  And I am enjoying returning as a mature adult, to Greek myths/literature that I first read about when I was 6.  The reading experience isn't just the book, it is the combination of the book and the person reading it.  I am and am not, the same person I was 54 years ago.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

freetodecide

Your science buddies promised unprecedented DROUGHTS about 7-8 years ago and desalination plants were built in Australia on the basis of this hypothesis. We are getting record FLOODS.
I am calling "bullshit" on the big bang and the morons that pedal it. 

Solomon Zorn

Your logic is unassailable. The weatherman was wrong: therefore science is for morons.

Smart people, on the other hand, get their knowledge and predictions from God's big book of indisputable facts.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Mike Cl

Quote from: freetodecide on October 14, 2016, 07:29:20 AM
Your science buddies promised unprecedented DROUGHTS about 7-8 years ago and desalination plants were built in Australia on the basis of this hypothesis. We are getting record FLOODS.
Of course you are calling 'bullshit' on science.  That requires you to deal with facts and thinking and it is so much easier for you to simply believe something; no thinking required. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Desalinization plants are more likely a way to deal with Australia's normally arid environment and drought conditions.   

Baruch

Quote from: freetodecide on October 14, 2016, 07:29:20 AM

I happen to agree that scientists are false prophets.  All prophets are con artists.  So it isn't just scientists ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

freetodecide

The only thing stopping a atheist from becoming a ardent supporter of Jesus, is a "road to Damascus" type conversion.
This is unlikely to happen with a closed mind and heart.
Science makes assumptions when it lacks physical evidence.
An atheist has the arrogance to suggest, that a creative mind must have formed from chemical reactions and not a creator.

Blackleaf

Quote from: freetodecide on October 14, 2016, 09:37:16 PM
The only thing stopping a atheist from becoming a ardent supporter of Jesus, is a "road to Damascus" type conversion.
This is unlikely to happen with a closed mind and heart.
Science makes assumptions when it lacks physical evidence.
An atheist has the arrogance to suggest, that a creative mind must have formed from chemical reactions and not a creator.

Hey, genius. This "road to Damascus" conversion you're talking about...who did it happen to? Saul? And what was he doing on the road to Damascus? Was it contemplating the possibility that the Christians were right with an open mind and heart? Nope. He was on his way to drag Christians out into the streets to be stoned to death. If God had not appeared to Saul, he would not have been converted. Now I ask you, why the hell doesn't God show himself to ANYONE ELSE? Few skeptics would remain if God actually did ANYTHING to show that he exists. Instead, he chooses to hide himself, and idiot Christians try to blame the skeptics, because apparently you have to believe in order for God to show himself to you. Do you not see how painfully idiotic that sounds?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 14, 2016, 10:18:46 PM

Hey, genius. This "road to Damascus" conversion you're talking about...who did it happen to? Saul? And what was he doing on the road to Damascus? Was it contemplating the possibility that the Christians were right with an open mind and heart? Nope. He was on his way to drag Christians out into the streets to be stoned to death. If God had not appeared to Saul, he would not have been converted. Now I ask you, why the hell doesn't God show himself to ANYONE ELSE? Few skeptics would remain if God actually did ANYTHING to show that he exists. Instead, he chooses to hide himself, and idiot Christians try to blame the skeptics, because apparently you have to believe in order for God to show himself to you. Do you not see how painfully idiotic that sounds?

Skeptics play a large part in mankind's failure.  For God to work his love, everyone has to believe.  Ever go to a gathering where a spiritualist talks to the dead?  If a doubter is present, even if he makes no comment, the dead will refuse to respond.  Everyone has to believe.  For children to fly, Peter Pan must turn to the audience and get a commitment from them that they also believe children can fly, and only then to they begin to fly around.  Skeptics act as brakes that keep wonderful things from happening.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: SGOS on October 14, 2016, 10:30:13 PM
Skeptics play a large part in mankind's failure.  For God to work his love, everyone has to believe.  Ever go to a gathering where a spiritualist talks to the dead?  If a doubter is present, even if he makes no comment, the dead will refuse to respond.  Everyone has to believe.  For children to fly, Peter Pan must turn to the audience and get a commitment from them that they also believe children can fly, and only then to they begin to fly around.  Skeptics act as brakes that keep wonderful things from happening.
Man, if this were actually true I would have become a Lycan years ago.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cavebear

I try to keep it simpler for Christians (since that is who I am mostly surround by). Can they give me a single shred of evidence that Jesus even ever existed?

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

freetodecide

Quote from: Cavebear on October 15, 2016, 08:07:09 AM
I try to keep it simpler for Christians (since that is who I am mostly surround by). Can they give me a single shred of evidence that Jesus even ever existed?

Yes, the Holy Spirit is the divine messenger and he speaks to the believer. John 14:17