Do We Have A Soul Without A Brain?

Started by Solitary, May 31, 2013, 09:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "bennyboy"
Quote from: "Plu"
Quote1) Why is anarchy degeneration?

Can you name one way in which anarchy would improve society? Because I really can't come up with anything that isn't absolutely horrifying... I hear people talking about anarchy from time to time, but really I can't see any way it wouldn't end civilization and the human race as we know them.
There's no such thing as anarchy.  As soon as you get 2 people together, one or both of them are going to start making rules.

As soon as you lose the federal government, you'll have gangs of thugs on the highway demanding a toll for passage.  That's a kind of taxation, and that's government.

So I think anarchy is a personal choice to stand up against tyranny-- you are declaring that you do not accept the rules that others have collectively chosen to impose on you.

Whut?
I'm not quite sure that's what you meant, Benny.

or

I'm confused.  Which is more likely.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Saul the not so great!

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
Quote from: "bennyboy"There's no such thing as anarchy.  As soon as you get 2 people together, one or both of them are going to start making rules.

As soon as you lose the federal government, you'll have gangs of thugs on the highway demanding a toll for passage.  That's a kind of taxation, and that's government.

So I think anarchy is a personal choice to stand up against tyranny-- you are declaring that you do not accept the rules that others have collectively chosen to impose on you.

Whut?

or

One second he says anarchy doesn't exist and then goes on to define anarchy to mean "personal choice to stand up against tyranny." If you're confused, you have a good reason to be.

stromboli

We should all like look up the definition of words before defining them, as redefining is kind of like undefining. Sort of.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Saul the not so great!"
Quote from: "bennyboy"There's no such thing as anarchy.  As soon as you get 2 people together, one or both of them are going to start making rules.

Whut?

or

One second he says anarchy doesn't exist and then goes on to define anarchy to mean "personal choice to stand up against tyranny." If you're confused, you have a good reason to be.

Thanks Saul.   (good to see you by the way)
oxox
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

bennyboy

Quote from: "Saul the not so great!"

Whut?

or

Sorry.  Let me clarify.

Anarchy as a system of (non-)government or a social agreement cannot exist.  It only exists as a fantasy.

Let's say there's a nuclear war, and people are starving, and someone makes the mistake of crawling in through Bubba's window.  Bubba says, "Ain't no guvmint to save you now, boy.  Anarchy!" and blows a shotgun blast through the man's chest.  Guess what?  Bubba isn't an anarchist-- he's established himself as king of his own little world.  Anarchists don't really care about freedom-- they just fantasize about having the power to arbitrarily limit or violate the freedoms of others whenever they want.

When someone says they are an anarchist, I hear it as: "I'm a loser, with no real power in the world, because society won't grant me power for watching Jerry Springer reruns and eating donuts.  But I can figure out how to pull a trigger."
Insanity is the only sensible response to the universe.  The sane are just making stuff up.

Colanth

Quote from: "stromboli"We should all like look up the definition of words before defining them, as redefining is kind of like undefining. Sort of.
Depending on what "defining" means, of course.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

GSOgymrat

If a soul is by definition some part of a person that exists beyond their physical body then I am not sure how something like that could be examined scientifically.

If we reach a point technologically where individual's neurologic functions can be replicated in some kind of non-biologic electronic medium would that meet the definition of a soul?

My father, an atheist, taught me as a child that the only form of immortality is through siring children and passing on genetic material and memories. Does my mother's "soul" exist in me because I carry her genetic material and memories of her? When there is no genetic line and no one remembers her would her "soul" be lost?

When the human race runs it course and dies out and there is no intelligent entity around to remember the human race will it even matter that humanity existed?

Brian37

Uggg, I get a lip twitch reading titles to threads like this.

To answer the question in the thread title, NO! There is no such thing as a soul.

That is like trying to separate speed from a car. We are our brains in motion, nothing more. When our brain dies we die.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "bennyboy"Sorry.  Let me clarify.

Anarchy as a system of (non-)government or a social agreement cannot exist.  It only exists as a fantasy.

Let's say there's a nuclear war, and people are starving, and someone makes the mistake of crawling in through Bubba's window.  Bubba says, "Ain't no guvmint to save you now, boy.  Anarchy!" and blows a shotgun blast through the man's chest.  Guess what?  Bubba isn't an anarchist-- he's established himself as king of his own little world.  Anarchists don't really care about freedom-- they just fantasize about having the power to arbitrarily limit or violate the freedoms of others whenever they want.

When someone says they are an anarchist, I hear it as: "I'm a loser, with no real power in the world, because society won't grant me power for watching Jerry Springer reruns and eating donuts.  But I can figure out how to pull a trigger."

I find it hard to disagree with this description.

The paradox of anarchy is that one has to rebel against the system and reject it. But in so-doing you are creating your own 'system' for lack of a better word which, even though there may be no other proponents of it, is a system that you as an individual follows. As 'flakey' as the system might be it's still a system, and so in the general term of the word cannot be considered 'anarchistic'.

The irony of course is that many big political systems are built with the notion of anarchy imbued within them.

The realist interpretation of the international political game (statecraft, or the forming of states) is built on the assumption that without the state there is anarchy. So it might be an invented term to some degree, but still has a massive impact on the way international politics is formed and goverened. But I doubt most self-proclaimed 'anarchists' ever think or know about that.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Youssuf Ramadan

The religious idea of the soul is somewhat like other religious ideas in that it is made woolly and nebulous enough to defy any attempts pin down exactly what it is we are talking about, and thus disprove it.  Smoke and mirrors again...

Satt

I have no memories from before I was born. That answers the question for me.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"We\'re a bunch of twats on the internet. We can\'t help you. You should see a psychologist.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Satt"I have no memories from before I was born. That answers the question for me.

Try Scientology - they'll sort that out for ya.  E-meters at the ready, folks!  :wink:

Solitary

:evil:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Solitary"Do Christians have a brain without a soul?  :shock:  :rollin:  Solitary

Very generous of you, sir....   :lol:

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "Colanth"1) Why is anarchy degeneration? 2) Why is saying foolish things wise?
1) In an anarchist society, who would save you when you sleep. Will there really be a society?
2. Not foolish, but may not be true. Just like rubbing a child's hand and saying that it would make the pain go away.
(Missed your post for a long time)
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)