Article about possibility for other tech advanced civilizations

Started by PopeyesPappy, June 24, 2016, 10:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on June 25, 2016, 09:37:14 AM
I'm sure other intelligent aliens would very much want to meet us so that they could debate philosophical issues with us.

Thousands of years of travel in a craft that would probably take decades to build to discuss John Locke. You betcha.  :biggrin:

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: stromboli on June 25, 2016, 09:20:28 AM
Key word being "human". We can't possibly know what goes on in an alien mind. But as Gawdzilla pointed out
We are on the outer arm of the galaxy. It does make more sense to go inward. Going inward the likelihoood of meeting sentient species is greater. Personally don't think we are that special. As the article said, the likelihood of meeting a living species we detect is small. Sheer distance, time of travel, the enormity of building, developing and then utilizing an interstellar craft- a whole lot of reasons it would make no sense.

Actually we're closer to the middle of of our arm. The radius of the Milky Way is about 50,000 light years, and we are 25,000 to 28,000 light years from the center. Moving to far inward would probably be a bad idea. There are a lot more stars there, but as a result it is also a lot more violent. We'd probably get fried pretty quick with gamma or X-Rays.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

I'm sure other intelligent aliens would very much want to meet us so that they could debate philosophical issues with us.

That is satire, right?  Why would they want to discuss issues with primitive ape people who are no longer sociable enough to pick lice off of each other?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

stromboli

Well lets just hope the Vulcans show up before the Klingons. Pretty sure a flak jacket can't stop a Disruptor.... Don't nobody be a broadcastin' no warp signatures, m'kay?

Gawdzilla Sama

In a C&W bar on Saturday night.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: _Xenu_ on June 24, 2016, 08:47:56 PM
This kind of discussion is too wildly speculative for me to get involved with. We have no idea what would motivate an advanced civilization to contact us, even assuming they exist, and even if they have a way to do so, because we have no idea what they would want or need. There's just way too many possibilities and unanswered variables for me to get deeply into this. I will grant they are probably AI instead of biological unless a way around the speed of light is found, buts that's too alien a perspective for me to understand. I will let the rest of you continue this conversation and just watch.
Then why are you involved?????  :))))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 25, 2016, 03:23:39 PM
In a C&W bar on Saturday night.

Are we talking Lamar's Silver Dollar Lounge in upstate New York or Callahan's Crosstime Saloon? In Lamar's place, the ability to throw a punch is kind of a requirement. If they have tentacles that might also be useful.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on June 25, 2016, 07:40:16 PM
Are we talking Lamar's Silver Dollar Lounge in upstate New York or Callahan's Crosstime Saloon? In Lamar's place, the ability to throw a punch is kind of a requirement. If they have tentacles that might also be useful.
While Callahan was open to various kinds of music I suspect that if you visited the place on any given night you'd hear blues. ;)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers