News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Please Suggest a Desktop Computer

Started by gentle_dissident, June 22, 2016, 11:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gentle_dissident

LOL. I'm sorry none of you could recommend a desktop computer, but don't take it personally.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 26, 2016, 12:05:59 AM
LOL. I'm sorry none of you could recommend a desktop computer, but don't take it personally.
You should read the computer review sites. Take them all with a grain of salt, of course, but you can be a more educated consumer after  some research.

Anybody got a favorite site to recommend?

You can also go to computer stores and just ask. Have a clear list of things you want to do with the computer and the price range you're working with.

Finally, look for "open box" items that meet your needs. I recently bought a laptop computer that listed for $749.00 for $614.00.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Johan

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 26, 2016, 12:05:59 AM
No worries, I'm good. Nothing person. Sorry you're such an asswipe that you couldn't be helped. Sucks being you.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on June 25, 2016, 02:41:00 PMYou need to be more clear, whether you think you do or not. Don't be an asswipe to people that are trying to help you, especially when it's clear that the people you're asking know more about the subject. Hydra and Johan and even myself know quite a bit about computer setups. Johan and Hydra, probably a little bit more than me, even. I'd take their advice. Otherwise, if you're going to insult them for not being able to decipher the very vague information you gave us, you can go to a computer store and have them help you and sell you something.
Johan is much more knowledgeable than me.  I have a basic understanding, but I don't know this stuff intimately like he does.  My main strength is enlisting various online resources to my aid.  I've already linked a lot of them.

That said, I tried to educate and also I tried to throw stuff out there to in the hopes of getting some sort of feedback that would aid in narrowing down the search.  Neither met with much success.  Instead, I got a condescending "I've been totally clear.  Your mind just isn't used to operating that way", which probably isn't the best attitude to have when you're enlisting other people's help.

GD is probably going to end up with a computer to match the antique CRT and yellowy LCD screen, which is such a shame.

PickelledEggs

Yeah, no problem @Johan  . No need to explain what went on in this thread to me. I got you.

If he can't figure out why we've been telling him we need more information and that he's not been clear, he's just going to need to figure out this computer thing on his own. He can go and be condescending to Google.com, AVADirect.com, or Newegg.com or something.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 26, 2016, 12:41:41 PM
Johan is much more knowledgeable than me.  I have a basic understanding, but I don't know this stuff intimately like he does.  My main strength is enlisting various online resources to my aid.  I've already linked a lot of them.

That said, I tried to educate and also I tried to throw stuff out there to in the hopes of getting some sort of feedback that would aid in narrowing down the search.  Neither met with much success.  Instead, I got a condescending "I've been totally clear.  Your mind just isn't used to operating that way", which probably isn't the best attitude to have when you're enlisting other people's help.

GD is probably going to end up with a computer to match the antique CRT and yellowy LCD screen, which is such a shame.
The point is that everyone that helped out... you, Johan, me.... all know more about putting together a computer than GD does. And if he's asking someone that knows more than him, it's stupid to tell them they're wrong and lack comprehension skills when he didn't supply enough information in the first place/refuses to supply more information after we asked for it.... to help HIM......

It's just annoying to offer help and be dismissed/be told we're lacking reading skills by the person that asked for help and won't even give us enough information to help.

Atheon

Building your own desktop PC is the way to go. There are great videos on YouTube showing you how to do it. It's not difficult, an it can be fun!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

PopeyesPappy

After reading through this thread I'm ready to make my recommendation. I suggest a Gateway 2000 4SX-33 Complete Desktop Computer including Gateway FPD 1530 Monitor, New PS2 Gateway Keyboard, Microsoft PS2 Intellimouse Trackball, Ethernet ISA Adapter with Install driver disk, Windows 95 Install CD, Microsoft Setup floppy disk, Windows 95 Manual, Certificate of Authenticity with Microsoft Genuine Product ID OEM License Number. AC Power and Monitor cables included. Description: CPU: iNtel 486sx, CPU Socket is Upgradeable RAM: 24MB RAM Upgradeable Cache: 256k, Upgradeable to 512k Ports: Serial COM1, COM2, Parallel LPT1, PS2 Keyboard, PS2 Mouse, RJ45/coax Ethernet Sound: SoundBlaster Compatable with Game Joystick port Video: Built In Cirrus Logic VGA Hard Drive: IDE 480MB Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 Disk Drive: CD ROM ReWritable. Does not come with cow box.

Yours for just $395 plus $45 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gateway-2000-Desktop-Computer-Monitor-Super-Clean-Complete-Original-1993-/222144270515?hash=item33b8d490b3:g:tSMAAOSwuhhXVgOP
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

don't go anywhere near Best Buy or a big box store. Buy from Amazon. You can get it cheaper and they won't try to throw in shit software along with the deal. And you can read the reviews before you buy.

SGOS

I recommend my Erazer 510 by Lenovo ($1449 at Amazon).  It's more expensive than what you want to pay.  Hell, it was more expensive than what I wanted to pay, but it does a good job at running Flight Simulator, and sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and fork it over.  Flight Simulator may or may not be a special beast.  But the 510 does have power.

I asked the same question when I bought my first computer.  My guru asked if I wanted to play games, to which I, as a nuts and bolts intellectual, replied with a definitive and disgusted, "No, absolutely not."  So I bought a cheaper laptop.  Oddly it came with a bunch of extra software, including one disk that included a short preview of Combat Flight Simulator, and I though, "Hmmm, this looks interesting," so I went out and bought it the next day.  Combat Flight Simulator wasn't the power hog that the regular Flight Simulator was, and it worked fine on my laptop.  But I soon tired of flying sorties and doing dogfights with the Germans.  The sorties began flying out of different airbases.  There was no navigation to speak of.  You would just follow along with your flight squadron, until you encountered the enemy, and then all Hell would break loose.

There was a heads up  display that showed your lat and lon location, so one day, after getting bored with shooting down planes, I wrote down the coordinates from one air base, and then started a flight from another airbase just to see if these various airbases were actually part of the overall sandbox or only showed up for specific sorties.

Flying from one coordinate to another is a pretty clumsy way of navigating, and I flew for an hour or so over the lovely German landscape flying in general directions (N E S W) toward the desired coordinates and eventually off in the distance, I spotted an airfield, so I landed there and thought, "Wow, that was exceptionally satisfying," So I sent for a copy of the regular Flight Simulator which didn't focus on fighter planes, but the regular Flight Simulator ran like crap on my crap computer, so 3 months after I bought my first computer, I bought another one (and back then a primitive computer with a 10th of the power cost twice as much as the midrange ones today, like $3000... Ouch!).

So I'm partial to buying a bit more than you need, because you don't know where you might want to go.  So there's my recommendation.  Not necessarily all that helpful and outside of your expectations, but it's my recommendation.  Did I do good???

Munch

I got myself a pc made by a pc creator service, designed for high level gaming and with a huge amount of storage.
it cost me around £900, but when you think about what the cost of a high level gaming pc can cost, I got this for a bargain.

Not sure where your are abouts, but look online to your localized pc creator services, and maybe your find a good deal in just getting one made up.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

wolf39us

Atheon

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on June 28, 2016, 09:57:38 AM
After reading through this thread I'm ready to make my recommendation. I suggest a Gateway 2000 4SX-33 Complete Desktop Computer including Gateway FPD 1530 Monitor, New PS2 Gateway Keyboard, Microsoft PS2 Intellimouse Trackball, Ethernet ISA Adapter with Install driver disk, Windows 95 Install CD, Microsoft Setup floppy disk, Windows 95 Manual, Certificate of Authenticity with Microsoft Genuine Product ID OEM License Number. AC Power and Monitor cables included. Description: CPU: iNtel 486sx, CPU Socket is Upgradeable RAM: 24MB RAM Upgradeable Cache: 256k, Upgradeable to 512k Ports: Serial COM1, COM2, Parallel LPT1, PS2 Keyboard, PS2 Mouse, RJ45/coax Ethernet Sound: SoundBlaster Compatable with Game Joystick port Video: Built In Cirrus Logic VGA Hard Drive: IDE 480MB Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 Disk Drive: CD ROM ReWritable. Does not come with cow box.
Plus free time machine.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

PopeyesPappy

Based on the information provided, it sounded to me like the best fit.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.