The Light Of The World Church (LA Luz Del Mundo)

Started by stromboli, June 22, 2016, 01:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Luz_del_Mundo

QuoteThe Iglesia del Dios Vivo, Columna y Apoyo de la Verdad, La Luz del Mundo, (English: "Church of the Living God, Column and Ground of the Truth, The Light of the World")â€"or simply La Luz del Mundoâ€"is a Christian denomination with international headquarters in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. La Luz del Mundo (abbreviated LLDM, or sometimes The LDM) practices a form of restorationist theology centered on three leaders: founder Aarónâ€"born Eusebioâ€"Joaquín González (1896â€"1964), Samuel Joaquín Flores (1937â€"2014), and Naasón Joaquin García (born 1969). These three men are regarded by the Church as modern day Apostles of Jesus Christ and Servants of God.

The Church had its beginnings in 1926 just as Mexico plunged into a violent struggle between the anti-clerical government and Catholic rebels. The conflict centered in the west-central states like Jalisco, where González focused his missionary efforts. Given the environment of the time, La Luz del Mundo remained a small missionary endeavor until 1934 when it built its first temple. Thereafter the Church continued to grow and expand, interrupted only by an internal schism in 1942. Apostles: Aarón Joaquín is believed to be designated the ministry of the Lord by revelation of God, then his son Samuel; thereafter by his son Naasón. The Church is now present in 50 countries and has between 1 and 7 million adherents worldwide.

La Luz del Mundo describes itself as the restoration of primitive Christianity. It does not use crosses or images in its worship services and its members do not observe Christmas or Holy Week. Female members follow a dress code that includes long skirts and head coverings during religious services.

These people came to my front door and left me a card. 5 Hispanic women in colorful garb with their heads covered. Apparently it is considered a cult from Mexico, moving into the Southwest and going North. Just what we needed, another Christian cult.

widdershins

Quote from: stromboli on June 22, 2016, 01:35:11 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Luz_del_Mundo

These people came to my front door and left me a card. 5 Hispanic women in colorful garb with their heads covered. Apparently it is considered a cult from Mexico, moving into the Southwest and going North. Just what we needed, another Christian cult.
Hey, at least you have options going forward.  You might wake up tomorrow and say, "I would really like to join a cult today."  Thankfully you have their contact info now, so you can rest easy knowing that you can join a cult any time you like.  How thoughtful of them to put your mind at ease like that.  They must be really nice people.  And you might get 17 insufferable wives out of the deal too!
This sentence is a lie...

Blackleaf

Sounds like a cross between Pentecostalism, Islam, and Jehovah's Witnesses. No thank you.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Flanker1Six

Did they indicate if they had any executive positions open?   .)

Jim Jones was an AMATEUR! 

Shiranu

I've known about them since I was a child... grew up next to one of the owner's huge country estates and several friends belong to the church. It is definitely a cult, phone is about to die otherwise I would expand. They are nothing new though.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

stromboli

Quote from: Shiranu on June 22, 2016, 06:17:14 PM
I've known about them since I was a child... grew up next to one of the owner's huge country estates and several friends belong to the church. It is definitely a cult, phone is about to die otherwise I would expand. They are nothing new though.

I looked them up, so I knew something about them. I live in Northern Utah, which is a fair distance from Texas. This is the first I've seen of them. We have a large Hispanic population and more all the time. I'd be willing to bet these people were invited to come up here.

doorknob