News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The true face of Islam

Started by reasonist, June 22, 2016, 11:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on July 27, 2016, 10:51:38 AM
Yes, but there is a difference between 'not wanting to send men out' to war and appeasement. The writing was on the wall but was ignored way too long.

Many Anglo-Americans wanted a strong leader like Hitler, just as some want Putin today.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Like the Ides of March, Brexit has come, but not yet finished.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

marom1963

Quote from: Baruch on July 27, 2016, 07:01:43 PM
Like the Ides of March, Brexit has come, but not yet finished.
That could be said about any event. Since we don't know what the World would have been like had Caesar lived, there's no point in speculating - the same goes for Brexit not having passed.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Baruch

Like Stalin said, it isn't what the vote count is, or even who counts the votes, but who implements the supposed policy ;-)  The Franco-German Axis already said that GB isn't going anywhere.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

marom1963

Quote from: Baruch on July 27, 2016, 07:38:31 PM
Like Stalin said, it isn't what the vote count is, or even who counts the votes, but who implements the supposed policy ;-)  The Franco-German Axis already said that GB isn't going anywhere.
And maybe they're right. Time will tell. A large number of people in France want out of the EU ...
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Baruch

Quote from: marom1963 on July 27, 2016, 11:19:04 PM
And maybe they're right. Time will tell. A large number of people in France want out of the EU ...

Last time they called those people The Resistance ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

marom1963

OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Baruch

Quote from: marom1963 on July 28, 2016, 07:28:28 PM
:rotflmao:

All the French were collaborators, until Hitler invaded the Soviet Union.  The Resistance were all French Communists, under orders from Moscow.  I love the French in spite of this.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

marom1963

Quote from: Baruch on July 28, 2016, 07:51:59 PM
All the French were collaborators, until Hitler invaded the Soviet Union.  The Resistance were all French Communists, under orders from Moscow.  I love the French in spite of this.
The reason that Americans do not like the French is that the French are too like Americans. The French believe in - French Exceptionalism, w/the same fervor that Americans believe in American Exceptionalism. The French Government may have gotten its way w/the EU for decades, but further integration would rub against French nationalism - and I am quite sure that the French do not wish to become Germans! ... I don't just love the French; I like them, as well.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Fickle

@marom1963
QuoteThe reason that Americans do not like the French is that the French are too like Americans. The French believe in - French Exceptionalism, w/the same fervor that Americans believe in American Exceptionalism.

I think most Canadians where I am from find this exceptionalism/nationalism thing quite odd. The problem I see with nationalism is that it seems to be a little extreme and just another flavor of religion without all the omniscient all knowing being nonsense. In fact we Canadians are characterized by a near complete lack of nationalism which even we find strange sometimes.

I was contemplating this fact not long ago, I like Canada and I was born here. It's a nice place to live with very nice people and lot's of wide open spaces and very beautiful places. However it's simply the place I choose to live and I'm sure I would be quite happy living somewhere else if I wanted...more so a warmer place.

However if I moved South to the United States or France should I assume I am somehow now superior or better?... well no that is absurd. Being born in one place on this planet or moving to another place does not change who we are and obviously geography does not miraculously make anyone a better person.

To be honest I just don't get this nationalism thing because it looks like extremism to me, it looks like a poor excuse to rationalize fanatic if not psychotic behavior.

marom1963

Quote from: Fickle on July 29, 2016, 02:32:19 AM
@marom1963
I think most Canadians where I am from find this exceptionalism/nationalism thing quite odd. The problem I see with nationalism is that it seems to be a little extreme and just another flavor of religion without all the omniscient all knowing being nonsense. In fact we Canadians are characterized by a near complete lack of nationalism which even we find strange sometimes.

I was contemplating this fact not long ago, I like Canada and I was born here. It's a nice place to live with very nice people and lot's of wide open spaces and very beautiful places. However it's simply the place I choose to live and I'm sure I would be quite happy living somewhere else if I wanted...more so a warmer place.

However if I moved South to the United States or France should I assume I am somehow now superior or better?... well no that is absurd. Being born in one place on this planet or moving to another place does not change who we are and obviously geography does not miraculously make anyone a better person.

To be honest I just don't get this nationalism thing because it looks like extremism to me, it looks like a poor excuse to rationalize fanatic if not psychotic behavior.
I don't buy into the exceptionalism thing. However, a country is an established fact. One's fate is very dependent upon its fate, so it only makes sense to be something of a cheerleader for one's own country.
Canada got lucky in its vastness and its richness because it was north of the United States, which eventually - well, really, rather quickly - became tight allies w/the UK. Your country's mommy country is why your country has never been molested the way that Mexico has. It would have been worse than bad manners for us to go up north and start gobbling the way we have done out west and to the south. As long as a British monarch sits on the Canadian throne, Canada is guaranteed peace and prosperity and good wishes from America.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Baruch

I am pro Canadian, because Canada isn't Mexico.  Ironically I am pro-Mexican as well ;-)  Ever hear of the Ugly American?  Americans are exceptional everywhere they go ... so of course as you say, a Canadian isn't exceptional, so they won't feel exceptional outside their country either ;-)  In the cartoon, Hitalia, the American character is a brother to the Brit, but fight like brothers, together and against each other.  But the American is a bombastic asshole that the other characters barely tolerate.  I think that is a fair characterization.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.