News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Internet Creationists

Started by Absurd Atheist, June 18, 2016, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob

Some people come off as really intelligent until they start uttering creationism. I'd first verify that what they are saying is even true. I have my doubts as creationists spew mumbo jumbo a lot. They can sound very knowledgeable to people who don't understand science. The only way to combat these idiots (I mean nice people) is to educate your self in these matters which can be a tall order. I'd do some research if I were you.

widdershins

Quote from: SGOS on June 20, 2016, 01:07:02 PM
Creationism doesn't do science.  It doesn't even do field work.  They just sit around and try to shoot holes in science.  Big Whoop!
That reminds me of something a drunk friend told me recently about how pissed off he was that real scientists just dismissed outright what he called, "armchair scientists".  He didn't want to do any of the work involved, he just wanted to feel smart.  To that end he outright rejected the idea that the reason for this was because it is pointless to listen to the rambling thoughts of an uneducated lout discussing complex topics they know nothing about.

Christians kind of have that same attitude.  They don't want to learn anything "sciencey".  They know it's wrong anyway.  But they still want to be able to pretend they're qualified to talk about it.
This sentence is a lie...

Blackleaf

Quote from: widdershins on June 21, 2016, 09:58:04 AM
That reminds me of something a drunk friend told me recently about how pissed off he was that real scientists just dismissed outright what he called, "armchair scientists".  He didn't want to do any of the work involved, he just wanted to feel smart.  To that end he outright rejected the idea that the reason for this was because it is pointless to listen to the rambling thoughts of an uneducated lout discussing complex topics they know nothing about.

Christians kind of have that same attitude.  They don't want to learn anything "sciencey".  They know it's wrong anyway.  But they still want to be able to pretend they're qualified to talk about it.

It is funny how they dismiss science 99.9% of the time, but any time they hear about something that supposedly proves them right (which is always fake), they latch onto it. They can't decide. Do they trust science or don't they? They don't, of course. They just plug up their ears when they know they're proven wrong, and crave anything that can validate them.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

widdershins

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 21, 2016, 10:11:12 AM
It is funny how they dismiss science 99.9% of the time, but any time they hear about something that supposedly proves them right (which is always fake), they latch onto it. They can't decide. Do they trust science or don't they? They don't, of course. They just plug up their ears when they know they're proven wrong, and crave anything that can validate them.
It's not that they distrust "science" so much as they distrust (and disbelieve) anything which doesn't agree with their belief system.  They trust science well enough when they get on a plane, drive their car or buy aspirin.  And they trust anything which is called science (real or not) which supports their beliefs.

The funny thing is even the more modern, science excepting religions deny science when it doesn't match with their beliefs.  The Catholic Church has been very accepting of science for the most part, except when it comes to condom science.  Then they start to make it up so that they can claim condoms don't help prevent the spread of AIDS and such.  Of course the MEMBERS of the Catholic church each seem to have their own personal dogmas regardless what the church says.  It would be interesting to analyze where that comes from.  I've known many Catholics who deny evolution, even though the church has accepted it for years.  And Randy happily denied anything and everything the church accepted that didn't match with his personal belief system.  Given the infallibility of the pope and the inflexibility of the church ritualistic system I find it fascinating that Catholicism would be the religion of "Well, the church says THIS, but that is definitely not right."  Hell, I once heard an argument between 2 Catholics about the continued virginity of Mary after the birth of Jesus.  One was adamant that she MUST have remained a virgin her entire life, apparently extending the perfections of Jesus to her.  The other said it didn't matter after the virgin birth and Jesus could have had actual siblings...on his mother's side, of course.  Two Catholics can't even agree on their own dogma.

Baruch

Marianism is about politics.  If you don't know what is at state politically, then you won't get why those two were arguing.  So why is Marianism so important to the Catholic church since the early 19th century?  The theology is just  a cover story.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: widdershins on June 21, 2016, 01:29:52 PM
It's not that they distrust "science" so much as they distrust (and disbelieve) anything which doesn't agree with their belief system.  They trust science well enough when they get on a plane, drive their car or buy aspirin.  And they trust anything which is called science (real or not) which supports their beliefs.

The funny thing is even the more modern, science excepting religions deny science when it doesn't match with their beliefs.  The Catholic Church has been very accepting of science for the most part, except when it comes to condom science.  Then they start to make it up so that they can claim condoms don't help prevent the spread of AIDS and such.  Of course the MEMBERS of the Catholic church each seem to have their own personal dogmas regardless what the church says.  It would be interesting to analyze where that comes from.  I've known many Catholics who deny evolution, even though the church has accepted it for years.  And Randy happily denied anything and everything the church accepted that didn't match with his personal belief system.  Given the infallibility of the pope and the inflexibility of the church ritualistic system I find it fascinating that Catholicism would be the religion of "Well, the church says THIS, but that is definitely not right."  Hell, I once heard an argument between 2 Catholics about the continued virginity of Mary after the birth of Jesus.  One was adamant that she MUST have remained a virgin her entire life, apparently extending the perfections of Jesus to her.  The other said it didn't matter after the virgin birth and Jesus could have had actual siblings...on his mother's side, of course.  Two Catholics can't even agree on their own dogma.

How can Catholics even try to claim that Jesus didn't have siblings when the Bible clearly says, in more than one place, that he does? There's even a passage when Mary and her other sons come to collect Jesus when they think he's gone mad (probably due to that eating flesh and drinking blood thing), and Jesus practically disowns them by saying, "Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother."

Come to think of it, Jesus was kinda being a dick. He could have gone out to assure his family that he was okay.
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 21, 2016, 04:05:32 PM
Come to think of it, Jesus was kinda being a dick. He could have gone out to assure his family that he was okay.

The first time I read that as a little kid, I thought Jesus' behavior was so awful that it sickened me.

widdershins

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 21, 2016, 04:05:32 PM
How can Catholics even try to claim that Jesus didn't have siblings when the Bible clearly says, in more than one place, that he does? There's even a passage when Mary and her other sons come to collect Jesus when they think he's gone mad (probably due to that eating flesh and drinking blood thing), and Jesus practically disowns them by saying, "Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother."

The great thing about the Bible needing to be "interpreted" means that it always says exactly what you want to hear, regardless what it actually "says".  In this case the word "brother" is explained away by referencing another line, "We are all brothers and sisters in the Lord", not to mention the part you just quoted, "Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother."  It's the same reasoning weird churches use when they call each other "Brother Jim" and "Sister Martha".

When will you ever learn?  The Bible doesn't say what it says.  It says what I WANT it to say!

Blackleaf

Quote from: widdershins on June 22, 2016, 11:28:05 AM
The great thing about the Bible needing to be "interpreted" means that it always says exactly what you want to hear, regardless what it actually "says".  In this case the word "brother" is explained away by referencing another line, "We are all brothers and sisters in the Lord", not to mention the part you just quoted, "Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother."  It's the same reasoning weird churches use when they call each other "Brother Jim" and "Sister Martha".

When will you ever learn?  The Bible doesn't say what it says.  It says what I WANT it to say!

So Jesus' mother and brothers "in the Lord" came when they thought he'd gone insane, and Jesus said that his mother and brothers "in the Lord" were not his mother and brothers "in the Lord," but the people who follow God's will are his mother and brothers "in the Lord." Got it.
--Fulke Greville--

widdershins

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 22, 2016, 11:44:48 AM
So Jesus' mother and brothers "in the Lord" came when they thought he'd gone insane, and Jesus said that his mother and brothers "in the Lord" were not his mother and brothers "in the Lord," but the people who follow God's will are his mother and brothers "in the Lord." Got it.
Essentially you decide what you WANT it to say and then you keep reading until you find something which supports that, being sure to make special note of anything you find which may discredit you and any parts which then discredit that.  It's a process.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 22, 2016, 11:44:48 AM

Greatest Jewish mother fail of all time.  But the "naches" aka pride, was top shekel.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 21, 2016, 05:04:30 PM
The first time I read that as a little kid, I thought Jesus' behavior was so awful that it sickened me.

Meshugunah is the Hebrew word.  Last Temptation of Christ is more accurate.  Sex starved maniac.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.