News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Tough question for hardcore atheists

Started by brettw777, June 17, 2016, 06:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on June 17, 2016, 08:56:38 PM
Finding a Mercedes Benz on Jupiter is a completely different scenario to finding life on Earth. See, a Mercedes Benz is completely ill-suited for transit on Jupiter, not only because Jupiter has no drivable surface, but a car can only operate in an oxidizing atmosphere, and Jupiter has a reducing atmosphere. The Mercedes Benz is obviously made to drive, but it is completely unsuited to the task on Jupiter. Not only that, it cannot reproduce let alone reproduce with variation. No entity with any speck of intelligence would even think to do it. It can only have been put here by a stupid being or force.

On the other hand, the Earth contains countless self-replicating chemical von Neumann machines that are imperfect in their replications such that there are traits that persist to their offspring once coming into existence â€"heiritable variationâ€" and are tuned by environmental attrition. We therefore expect to find that these end-products are quite well adapted to their habitat and lifestyles, even if they are not perfect, and are in fact would be to any trained engineer filled with horrible kludges as well as clever elegancies, as we expect from a natural process governed by those two forces.

Neither scenario implies any intelligence involved. One because its obvious that the beings who tried were completely stupid, and the other because it is the result of two unintelligent forces put into dynamic tension.

I was totally going to say this but Hakurei asked me if He could say it instead….so………um…I said okay.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hakurei Reimu

Religious apologists always think they have "tough questions" for atheists to answer, but really they're not. They're only "tough" because they are too ignorant to even ask the right questions, let alone attempt to answer them. Then again, most apologists couldn't think themselves out of a wet paper bag, even the "good" ones like Whiney Lame Crap.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Not an atheist.  Not even an agnostic.  A mystic.  But I think for myself.  So I won't answer you directly ...

If you ask why in chess, nobody does a forward pass ... it is an ill formed question.  People do this all the time, theists and atheists.  Because most of the time we humans don't know what we are talking about (assuming we can even make a well formed question (called a WFF or well formed formula in logic)).  If you were an attorney asking that question in a court, of a witness, you would be badgering the witness with BS.  So I am asking you a question ... are you trying to badger us?

If you want to talk about well formed questions, we can talk later ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

marom1963

Yours is not a "thought-provoking" question. It's asshole's question. Jupiter? A Mercedes wouldn't last long enough for me to see it - nor would I if I were stupid enough to descend into Jupiter's atmosphere, where my ship would be crushed by the force of its gravity. Duh.
Why are you God peddlers all alike? You're all salesmen. You come over here and try to sell your broken down, moth-eaten deity, using some tired old sales pitch. Why not just say, "I believe in God" and leave it at that? At least then you wouldn't be so disgusting.

OMNIA DEPENDET ...

dtq123

So much strawmaning. It literally made me cry. I feel like crap now. Thanks for ruining my day.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Baruch

Quote from: dtq123 on June 17, 2016, 10:46:17 PM
So much strawmaning. It literally made me cry. I feel like crap now. Thanks for ruining my day.

Sometimes people inside and outside our community, follow sterotype ... they are characters in a Greek tragedy, all mask ... and "it is Greek to me".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: brettw777 on June 17, 2016, 07:10:58 PM
ROTFL!  I just cannot believe it! Someone suggests I might be a troll for asking a thought provoking question that no one has attempted to answer. Mark this day down. This is the first time someone has mentioned the word "troll" on the internet. That is a very original thought.
Asking "have you stopped beating your wife, yes or no?" questions is a troll game, son.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Seems that theists come here to ask tough questions-the answer to which they could find 90% of the time by googling it. Which tells me they are merely trying to irritate us.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on June 19, 2016, 10:31:23 AM
Seems that theists come here to ask tough questions-the answer to which they could find 90% of the time by googling it. Which tells me they are merely trying to irritate us.
The questions are tough. For them. Because they don't WANT TO THINK ABOUT THEM.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Flanker1Six

Quote from: stromboli on June 17, 2016, 07:27:13 PM
They come in waves. Sort of like Locusts or a Cicada hatch. You can answer all your own questions. Its called Google.

LOL!   Good one! 

Mike Cl

I guess Brett decided he did not like what 'hardcore' atheists had to say. And what is the difference between  hardcore and a softcore atheists?  And what other 'cores' do atheists come with?????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Jason78

Quote from: brettw777 on June 17, 2016, 06:23:59 PM
The way I see it, you only have two choices:

1. It evolved there from nothing.
2. It was built and put there by an intelligent being or force.

Is there another option I am missing? Your thoughts?

The way I see it, it was built by people.   Where else do you think cars come from?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 19, 2016, 02:25:57 PM
I guess Brett decided he did not like what 'hardcore' atheists had to say. And what is the difference between  hardcore and a softcore atheists?  And what other 'cores' do atheists come with?????
Hardcore atheists are like apples. Soft core atheists are like bananas.
PZ Myers

stromboli

Softcore are the twits with the "coexist" bumper stickers.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 19, 2016, 06:34:30 PM
Hardcore atheists are like apples. Soft core atheists are like bananas.
That is what is generally thought.  But the latest research seems to point to the hardcore to be like pomegranates; apples were not grown there. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?