Tennessee made the bible the official state book

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, June 16, 2016, 12:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

marom1963

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 16, 2016, 01:34:27 AM

Old news, plus it was vetoed about 2 months ago.
Don't care. The video was worth the watch. I've not seen him before, but I'm going to keep an eye on him from now on. He's better than the Kid from Brooklyn.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

His eyes make him look like he's high, but that OK with me. I like his videos. One of my former best friends was a Tennessean ex Marine. Vietnam vet and decidedly not religious. I asked him once about moving back to Tennessee and he politely pointed out (he was a very polite guy) that "Tennessee is a state you move from, not to."

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on June 16, 2016, 10:27:47 AM
His eyes make him look like he's high, but that OK with me. I like his videos. One of my former best friends was a Tennessean ex Marine. Vietnam vet and decidedly not religious. I asked him once about moving back to Tennessee and he politely pointed out (he was a very polite guy) that "Tennessee is a state you move from, not to."
Same with Kentucky. Parts of the state are simply uninhabited, deserted or never settled. If the land wasn't in Kentucky it would be prime real estate.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 16, 2016, 10:37:58 AM
Same with Kentucky. Parts of the state are simply uninhabited, deserted or never settled. If the land wasn't in Kentucky it would be prime real estate.

I also (later) worked with a guy from Kentucky at Hill. He converted to Mormonism. That is the equivalent of being double dipped in the shit tank, as we used to say. And even he would agree with you.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 16, 2016, 01:34:27 AM

Old news, plus it was vetoed about 2 months ago.
No surprises here. Blatantly unconstitutional move, and the governor knew it (even if he won't admit as much).
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Flanker1Six

Was it the King James version?  Because if it wasn't; it ain't ****!   

I was coerced into Sunday school and church attendance for around 10 years as a kid.  The "official" sales brochure" was the King James version, and eventually I became an expert at parsing thees, thous, gadzooks, and all the other interesting verbal paradigms of KIng James native tongue.   

Then!  One day!   Out of the ******* blue!   Our pastor (a relatively new arrival in our flock, and younger than average---i.e. not 85 yet) decided we should also sanction some new wave version of the brochure (who's actual title eludes me at this time) written in 1960s English.   DDOOHH!!!! Talk about having kicked over the fire pot in the hay mound!!!   You'd have thought the guy started using animal sacrifice in place of the traditional baptismal dunking.  As they say; OMG!!!  The "traditionalists" were totally bent outta shape---many hot debates ensued; with the traditionalists getting the worst of them (meaning the new brochure was staying).   As time went on; the traditionalists took every grievance; large and mostly small, they had and tossed them into their grievance bucket to fester into an unhealthy stew of collected frustration, resentment, and ill will.   

After a couple of years; about a third of our flock split off and formed their own church where they didn't have to listen to any damn new fangled type of biblical expression!!!   Damn it!! That church is now extinct, and the original has 14-20 elderly members.   

So, Tennessee better have been damn careful; in choosing which sales brochure they're using as official..................other wise there's likely to be a mass migration to other more right thinking states!   Damn it!!   

widdershins

Quote from: Flanker1Six on June 17, 2016, 12:20:14 PM
Was it the King James version?  Because if it wasn't; it ain't ****!   

I was coerced into Sunday school and church attendance for around 10 years as a kid.  The "official" sales brochure" was the King James version, and eventually I became an expert at parsing thees, thous, gadzooks, and all the other interesting verbal paradigms of KIng James native tongue.   

Then!  One day!   Out of the ******* blue!   Our pastor (a relatively new arrival in our flock, and younger than average---i.e. not 85 yet) decided we should also sanction some new wave version of the brochure (who's actual title eludes me at this time) written in 1960s English.   DDOOHH!!!! Talk about having kicked over the fire pot in the hay mound!!!   You'd have thought the guy started using animal sacrifice in place of the traditional baptismal dunking.  As they say; OMG!!!  The "traditionalists" were totally bent outta shape---many hot debates ensued; with the traditionalists getting the worst of them (meaning the new brochure was staying).   As time went on; the traditionalists took every grievance; large and mostly small, they had and tossed them into their grievance bucket to fester into an unhealthy stew of collected frustration, resentment, and ill will.   

After a couple of years; about a third of our flock split off and formed their own church where they didn't have to listen to any damn new fangled type of biblical expression!!!   Damn it!! That church is now extinct, and the original has 14-20 elderly members.   

So, Tennessee better have been damn careful; in choosing which sales brochure they're using as official..................other wise there's likely to be a mass migration to other more right thinking states!   Damn it!!   
Ah, that reminds me of my childhood.  There were a few people who actually thought that talking that dumb-shit way (in their own words, not quoting) actually made them sound wise instead of just plain stupid.  The pastor was the biggest offender.
This sentence is a lie...

Flanker1Six

Quote from: widdershins on June 17, 2016, 01:13:12 PM
Ah, that reminds me of my childhood.  There were a few people who actually thought that talking that dumb-shit way (in their own words, not quoting) actually made them sound wise instead of just plain stupid.  The pastor was the biggest offender.

Truly?  Doth sound the veriest of wisdom; taken from the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit themselves!  Mine eyes hath been opened to see!  Amen! 

Meh!  Not workin' for me.   At least I don't feel any smarter. .)

Baruch

Quote from: widdershins on June 17, 2016, 01:13:12 PM

Your pastor would have been smarter, had he quoted the original Hebrew and Greek.  And if he spoke in those tongues ... he would probably be Jewish already ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

widdershins

Quote from: Baruch on June 17, 2016, 10:42:00 PM
Your pastor would have been smarter, had he quoted the original Hebrew and Greek.  And if he spoke in those tongues ... he would probably be Jewish already ;-)
Oh, he probably did speak in those languages.  I was Pentecostal and when they "speak in tongues" those are REAL languages, not just idiots who've accidentally learned to put themselves into a weird mental state through unconventional meditation and began babbling incoherently.  There were actual cases of people who KNEW the language translating it!  My pastor's, friend's, brother's, wife's, nephew's, cousin's, aunt's, former boyfriend's pastor once met a guy who claimed it.  And all those people were in the church so you KNOW it's the truth!
This sentence is a lie...

Baruch

But if they already spoke Hebrew, then that shows that ... Mormonism is true!  ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.