Scotland hits carbon emissions target six years early

Started by Hydra009, June 15, 2016, 04:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36519506

QuoteThe Scottish government had set a target to reduce emissions by at least 42% by 2020, and 80% by 2050.
QuoteNew statistics show its 2014 emission levels were 45.8% lower than in 1990.

(I probably would've used a pint glass, but that's just me)

But it's not all good news; part of the reason for this climate change success story may be the loss of industry and suspiciously warm winters.  :(

Also, for anyone who's wondering how the US stacks up in comparison, we've reduced carbon emissions over the same timeframe by approximately....

*drumroll*

...zero.  Actually, it has increased from 5,115 million tons of CO2 in 1990 to 5,556 in 2014.  So, technically, we're undoing Scotland's gains.  Go us.

Munch

I visit scotland yearly, and honestly it seems even in high summer, the roads and motorways are so much clearer then in england, I went with my boyfriends from stirling to loch ness, which was a 2-3 hour drive, and we never had to stop for traffic build up or roadworks.
Even when driving to edinburgh, it was a clear straight forward run and we've never found any issue with parking spaces.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 15, 2016, 04:45:44 PM
suspiciously warm winters
See, global warming isn't so bad. All's well as long as The Palace is air conditioned.