Elizabeth Warren Drank The Kool Aid

Started by stromboli, June 09, 2016, 11:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-endorses-hillary-clinton_us_5759c842e4b0e39a28acf9b6

QuoteSen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) has endorsed former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for president.

Warren gave her endorsement in an interview with the Boston Globe on Thursday.

“I’m ready,” Warren said, according to the Globe. “I’m ready to jump in this fight and make sure that Hillary Clinton is the next president of the United States and be sure that Donald Trump gets nowhere near the White House.”

In an interview with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow Thursday night, Warren explained her endorsement and why she held off on endorsing during the Democratic primary, calling the work of Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-Vt.) presidential campaign “powerfully important.”

“He brought millions of people into the political process, he brought millions of people into the Democratic Party and for me that’s what this is all about,” she added.

Warren emphasized why it’s important for Sanders’ supporters to now get behind Clinton.

“I think about what’s at stake in this election and I think about what happens if Republicans have the White House, the Senate and the House of Representatives,” Warren said. “Say goodbye to the Affordable Care Act ... say goodbye to Dodd Frank ... say goodbye to a Supreme Court that is truly open and balanced and looking out for the American people.”

Warren also stressed how much of a “threat” presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is to the American people.

Her backing of Clinton followed President Barack Obama’s endorsement, which he announced in a video earlier that day.

Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley, who competed in the Democratic presidential primary, also backed Clinton on Thursday. Clinton clinched the nomination Monday after surpassing the 2,383 delegates needed for the Democratic nomination, according to a tally by the Associated Press.

While Warren refrained from choosing sides between Clinton and Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) till now, she hasn’t shied away from sharing her thoughts on the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, Donald Trump.

Throughout the month of May, Warren took to Twitter to rant against Trump’s misogynistic, racist, sexist, xenophobic rhetoric, and used public appearances and commencement speeches to address Trump as a “small, insecure money-grubber who doesn’t care who gets hurt.”
Her actions caught the eye of Clinton’s campaign, as HuffPost’s Sam Stein and Ryan Grim reported in mid-May:

Dripping with disdain, the 140-character [Twitter] asides got under Trump’s skin (admittedly, not the hardest of feats). He accused her of “tweeting violently” and bestowed on the senator one of his trademark churlish nicknames. “Goofy Elizabeth Warren,” he replied in tweets of his own.

The more important reaction came not from Trump, however, but from Hillary Clinton‘s campaign. Multiple sources close to the former secretary of state say that her aides took note of the senator’s ability to rile the real estate tycoon. And they recognize the value of such dart throwing from, say, someone filling out a presidential ticket.

One close Clinton confidant said that she and her aides were “thrilled to see Warren get under his skin.” Another senior Clinton adviser, who is advocating internally for Warren as a vice presidential pick, said the senator has “very influential people in the campaign pushing for her.”
Reuters reported Thursday that Warren has considered the idea of serving as Clinton’s running mate, but has concerns. But several prominent Democrats think Warren would be an ideal VP candidate, including Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), who hasn’t publicly called for Warren to run with Clinton but said Tuesday the country is ready for an all-female presidential ticket.

“I believe we should make up for lost time,” Reid said. “We’ve had all men.”

Well either she knows something we don't or Baruch is right, but her approval is a pretty big boost. E. Warren for VP?

Pants suits will be all the rage in DC. I need a drink.

PickelledEggs

Is it drinking the Kool Aid when the alternative is a more of a vote-split because of the lack of endorsement? Seems like more of a tactical move to try and make sure Trump isn't elected, IMO

stromboli

Quote from: PickelledEggs on June 10, 2016, 12:00:08 AM
Is it drinking the Kool Aid when the alternative is a more of a vote-split because of the lack of endorsement? Seems like more of a tactical move to try and make sure Trump isn't elected, IMO

The "kool-Aid" is in reference to a comment Baruch made in another thread. He said if EW backed HC it meant she drank the kool aid and was now one of the cult, so to speak. I also said (in the other thread) that I didn't see her being VP, but she did not say she would never accept it.

Actually-after watching the Rachel Maddow show where she made the announcement, I think it is a very smart move. This puts her in a pivotal spot and could well be the difference between Sander backing HC or not. It could go a long way to unifying the party. She is highly respected by many people and especially independent women voters. That fact alone could win the election for HC.

PickelledEggs

Ahhh. Ok I understand. I didn't get the reference, @stromboli

gentle_dissident

Bernie and Liz are holding onto these positions of power as their best hope for affecting positive change?

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on June 10, 2016, 12:00:08 AM

IMHO ... the sooner the Democrat party dies, the better.  Hopefully the Republican party dies along with it.  And people say I have no hope.  But I think the odds are long on either horror going into the dustbin of history.

I thought it was significant that Hillary got Obama's endorsement too.  Guess he hopes the next President doesn't indict him for war crimes, just as he didn't indict his predecessor.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 10, 2016, 01:44:50 AM
Bernie and Liz are holding onto these positions of power as their best hope for affecting positive change?

That is a definite maybe.  We can expect a kinder gentler Nero administration if they stay with Hillary's program.  So what kind of German are you?  Will you try to moderate the Nazis ... as the German military tried to (while enjoying a near successful attempt at world conquest) ... or will you flee the country?  Which for an American today, disgusted with their home country, means Canada (same as during the 60s).

It was the shared interest in imperialism that kept the German military from killing Hitler immediately.  See Rommel.  He was part of Hitler's inner circle in the beginning (Czechoslovakia) ... did well with his field commands ... waited until Germany was clearly losing the war before turing on Hitler (with plausible deniability that didn't impress the Gestapo).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on June 09, 2016, 11:55:17 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-endorses-hillary-clinton_us_5759c842e4b0e39a28acf9b6

Well either she knows something we don't or Baruch is right, but her approval is a pretty big boost. E. Warren for VP?

Pants suits will be all the rage in DC. I need a drink.
Warren will not take the off of being the VP even if offered.  I firmly believe she is prepping herself to become the next Dem. nominee for Pres after Hillary.  And she already has my vote. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 10, 2016, 08:55:56 AM
Warren will not take the off of being the VP even if offered.  I firmly believe she is prepping herself to become the next Dem. nominee for Pres after Hillary.  And she already has my vote. :)

The possibility occurred to me. Warren is nothing if not smart. A lot will depend on Hillary's getting elected and how successful she is at the job. Maddow brought up the subject of being the VP in the interview and whether "if EW were VP" she could step into the role of being president. She firmly stated that she could. She did not say either way she would refuse the offer, but she did not outright say she wouldn't. But I agree with you, I don't see her accepting the role of VP but you never know.

Baruch

Since Dick and Joe ... the VP is the real President.  The official President is just teleprompter fodder.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

The collapse of the democratic and republican parties would be great, but we have a more immediate concern that we're dealing with... the issue of how Trump is very likely going to become our president because of a vote-split.

Warren may be endorsing Hillary now, which I personally feel is the best thing to do... I was going to vote for Hillary anyway if Sanders was booted out... but I see many people frustrated by this and wanting to vote Jill Stein. Some people I see wanting to write in Bernie's name regardless of if he's in as an independent. This will split the votes, causing Trump to have more votes than anyone. And causing a hate-mongerer to be our leader, legitimizing the hate and racism and sexism that already exists in this country.

I'd take a fake-nice Hillary over a confidently hateful Trump any day of the week

There is a reason pride is one of the deadly sins after all, it seems.

stromboli

Quote from: PickelledEggs on June 10, 2016, 01:05:09 PM
The collapse of the democratic and republican parties would be great, but we have a more immediate concern that we're dealing with... the issue of how Trump is very likely going to become our president because of a vote-split.

Warren may be endorsing Hillary now, which I personally feel is the best thing to do... I was going to vote for Hillary anyway if Sanders was booted out... but I see many people frustrated by this and wanting to vote Jill Stein. Some people I see wanting to write in Bernie's name regardless of if he's in as an independent. This will split the votes, causing Trump to have more votes than anyone. And causing a hate-mongerer to be our leader, legitimizing the hate and racism and sexism that already exists in this country.

I'd take a fake-nice Hillary over a confidently hateful Trump any day of the week

There is a reason pride is one of the deadly sins after all, it seems.

That is a real concern. I hope Bernie does the right thing and eventually endorses her as well. It shows how far into delusion the US population is that Trump is even the nominee.

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: stromboli on June 10, 2016, 01:25:24 PM
That is a real concern. I hope Bernie does the right thing and eventually endorses her as well. It shows how far into delusion the US population is that Trump is even the nominee.
Bernie promised to endorse Clinton a while back.

stromboli

FaithIsFilth

Actually, after he promised to support whoever the democratic nominee was during the debates, he kinda took that back and said they have to be fair to him or else. He was on The Young Turks in the past week or two though, and confirmed that he will support Hillary if it comes down to her and Trump.