News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Libertarian in '16

Started by Flanker1Six, June 11, 2016, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gentle_dissident

Quote from: trdsf on June 15, 2016, 07:19:47 AM
And it does require direct media control.
We don't need payola. The tipping point is at 10%. Surely we have enough talent.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Flanker1Six on June 15, 2016, 01:38:46 PM
Dare I say; "Amen!" to that?   .)   My views were not very popular with my LE/CJ peers!   Oddly enough they have gained more traction in the last 16-20 years; based on my experiences with former and current associates.  w00t!  One day!
I really hope you are right!  One day...............
My stint in the regular army during the Nam era was a real eye opener for me!  I was drafted two weeks after I received my BA, but begged off another semester since I had already signed up for classes.  During that time I went from service to service trying to figure a way out of serving in Nam.  Finally settled on the Army since they promised I could go to Area Studies school and learn about one particular area in detail.  Since my major was history, that seemed good to me.  I did receive a lesson in contractual law, since once you sign on the dotted line, the small print give the Army the right to use me in any capacity they saw fit--and could lie to me with impunity.  Area Studies turned out to be spy training school--and the AO would have been Vietnam, Thailand,  Cambodia or Laos--their choice.  The school was a long one for the military--16 weeks.  And the wait for new cycles to start was also long.  So, I did luck out and was offered a CI school--I took it.  I did not realize that the odds of me going to Nam was higher than if I had been a grunt.  But my lucky dice was with me and I was assigned to Hawaii.  I found and read Catch 22 during this time--it became my bible.  And I had my Sgt. Lifer doll (a Norwegian  Troll)  on my desk in the office all decked in his lifer uniform.  I was not all that popular with the higher up then either.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: stromboli on June 12, 2016, 08:53:51 AM
Based on past experience, I knew you'd be here shortly. Took longer than usual. I'm still not up on how atheists and conservative religious Republicans can espouse the same beliefs at the same time, quote Ayn Rand and shake their fist at Social Security while getting their monthly payment. Ayn Rand collected benefits in later life.

Just looking at Gary Johnson's platform. A bit muddled I'd say.
http://www.ontheissues.org/Gary_Johnson.htm
The last guy to balance the budget was Bill Clinton. Last I checked he wasn't a Libertarian.

As Rand herself pointed out, the money was stolen from hear earlier so she had no problems taking it back.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Mermaid

Quote from: Atheon on June 12, 2016, 09:57:41 AM
I've found the libertarian movement in the US too right-leaning for my tastes. I fall in the left-libertarian part of the spectrum (lower left quadrant on Political Compass).

Voting for them is throwing away your vote, since their chances of winning on a national level are exactly zero.
absolutely agree.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Atheon on June 12, 2016, 09:57:41 AM
I fall in the left-libertarian part of the spectrum (lower left quadrant on Political Compass).
I'm about as far left as the grid goes. I'm halfway into the libertarian area.