The decline of christian faith in the US

Started by reasonist, June 03, 2016, 10:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

While I'm glad to see Christianity on the decline, I am alarmed to see Islam on the rise. If I have to be dominated by a religion, I prefer the hypocrisy of Christianity, to the stifling stranglehold of Islam.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Baruch

People rationalize, but they aren't rational.

People objectify, but they aren't empirical.

People are psychological individually, and cultural socially.

Bohemians (cultural minorities) are at odds with the dominant culture, by definition.  But in being from and opposite, they are no more free than a fish is dry.

So we have people going to Star Trek conventions instead of Santiago de Compostela.  Jedi is a recognized religion in GB.  At least some of science fiction is positive and optimistic.  But it has a dark side, where dystopia is the fixed idea rather than utopia.  People like Elon Musk are megalomaniacs, and such people always have a following.  Into an individual delusion swirls the group think, like Jonestown or abolishing currency (as seen on Star Trek).  My sympathies are with the Farengi not the Federation, with Brexit not Schengen.

I read an on-line cartoon, where the heroine is a villain (anti-hero of Euripides), where self-interest, self-defense, personal autonomy are put in a positive light, where the Nietzschean supermen don't withdraw to Colorado, where the technology is more advanced than the trains of Dagny Taggart ... instead all of humanity, special or ordinary, expand across the galaxy, providing the space necessary to allow experimentation and reduce conflict.  A planet for every ideology, including robotically enforced communism, to wild west capitalism.  Lebensraum without aliens to dispossess or enslave.  But I don't mistake it for reality.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on June 05, 2016, 07:12:20 AM
While I'm glad to see Christianity on the decline, I am alarmed to see Islam on the rise. If I have to be dominated by a religion, I prefer the hypocrisy of Christianity, to the stifling stranglehold of Islam.

That's only because in the ocuntry you live, the federal state is the almigthy 'god'. And the rest is playing along two version of a one game.

If one day -hopefully never- if Christianity gets in charge, you could closely observe that there is actually no difference whatsoever at all.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Chauvinism and jingoism ... can change clothes all they want, but they remain what they are.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on June 05, 2016, 07:59:58 AM
Chauvinism and jingoism ... can change clothes all they want, but they remain what they are.

Well world has a long way to go till even the atheists and seculars get that nationalism is a cult. Doesn't realy matter how you name it. Semantics dipped in politics. EW
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Anybody ever see people acting like Christ?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 05, 2016, 11:24:32 AM

Only homeless people could, and I don't know any of them to be particularly nice ... but then I don't know many of them.  Basically they aren't all right in the head ... which is part of why they are homeless.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 05, 2016, 11:24:32 AM
Christ no!

How would than look???  A guy giving away all of his worldly goods--or somebody going into a church and beating up people who put money in the basket--or a guy pitting his mother against his father or brother--or...................?????????????????????????????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Pipu.Diiding

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 05, 2016, 02:08:33 PM
Christ no!

How would than look???  A guy giving away all of his worldly goods--or somebody going into a church and beating up people who put money in the basket--or a guy pitting his mother against his father or brother--or...................?????????????????????????????

This dude better be wearing a white long dress walking around investing in people.

Why 'investing' in people?
Because people in the faith subconsciously don't go around just helping people, they expect something in return.

It's just something they do but don't admit.

But then again, if I see a guy wearing a white dress and pretty long hair, Id probably think he's homosexual.
We must question the logic of having an all-knowing/powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Pipu.Diiding on June 05, 2016, 02:15:29 PM
This dude better be wearing a white long dress walking around investing in people.

Why 'investing' in people?
Because people in the faith subconsciously don't go around just helping people, they expect something in return.

It's just something they do but don't admit.

But then again, if I see a guy wearing a white dress and pretty long hair, Id probably think he's homosexual.
But what about the 12 guys who follow him around, party with him and sleep in the park with him?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Pipu.Diiding

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 05, 2016, 02:48:18 PM
But what about the 12 guys who follow him around, party with him and sleep in the park with him?

That's easy, think Snow White and the 7 Dwarves. ;)
Except the dwarves don't have a large house for Snow White to stay in.
We must question the logic of having an all-knowing/powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.

Mike Cl

Wouldn't that be his posse?            Or his fellow escapees from Napa State????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Pipu.Diiding

I think he should rephrase to
"Sleep with him" in the park.

Mike Cl

Would that be Macarther's Park?? 

Pipu.Diiding

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 05, 2016, 04:36:52 PM
Would that be Macarther's Park??

Depends, does Macarther's Park condone LGBT PDA? To the extend, they don't mind them making love in the park at night?

Note: Jesus and the apostles could be moaning like wolves while making love though. Honestly, if you were the owner of the park, would you allow it?