News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Compliment or insult?

Started by Mr.Obvious, June 02, 2016, 01:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

As some may or may not know, one of my hobbies is amateur theatre. I've been doing this for about 14 years now, and it was one of the best decisions of my life. Some of my best youth-memories were in that troop I grew up with as a kid and a bunch of us have remained friends for this decade and a half now, still remaining in the theatre group, though now in the adult section. With some luck, we might stay friends for the rest of our lives. Plus I never feel so much alive as I do standing in front of crowd acting. There is something just so... worthwhile about working towards a production, giving it your all and building off people you know you can count on to tell a story together.

Six of us, all in our early to mid-twenties now who were in the same youth-group when we were kids finally decided to bring another production to the stage together. Though we all hang out, I haven't played with some of them in a decade as we do different productions a year. But we all really wanted to do this.
So we picked a play (most likely, still looking into one more for an alternative but I think we got it.) Last night when watching football the conversation drifted to the casting absentmindedly. And something came from that conversation that has me puzzled.
The play is about 4 people who abduct a hospitalized suspected serial killing pedophile. They lock him up in a basement, get one of the moms of the lost kids to confront him and try to get him to confess to his supposed crimes on tape and put it online all before killing him. It's left a bit open if the guy actually did it, at the end, but he does seem like a sick and twisted and seriously creepy individual none-the-less. Without a doubt, the suspected pedophile is the most  intriguing part and the one with most depth (perhaps aside from the mom).

Now when we were absentmindedly talking cast, I hadn't had a clue yet as to who should play who. But all my friends cast me as the pedophile. As I had a a buzz on, I didn't think more of it than an odd joke. However, the day after, I'm torn. Is it a compliment because it's the most difficult (male) part? Or should I be concerned and take it as an insult that five of my friends immeadiately thought of me as the perfect guy to play a possible pedophile serial killer.

I'm really torn :D It's weird.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

I can see your dilemma. Personally I would err to the side of your friends knowing which role was the most difficult and consider you for it, rather than seeing you as a pedophile. You know your friends and their abilities as actors and knowledgeable about their craft.

You might also relay to them your feelings on the matter. Some things are best discussed, rather than to lay and molder in your subconscious. You don't want to do the role being secretly resentful about it.

gentle_dissident

If this dark play ironically appeals to our better nature, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Hydra009

Compliment.  They think you're up for a tough role.

Mike Cl

Yeah, I see it as Hydra does.  They see you able to tackle a hard role--not a 'character actor' role, but one that takes you out of yourself and into a new persona--which I would imagine would be a very hard thing to do.  So your friends see you as being able to do that.  Not an insult, but I would think a big compliment.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

yeah, sorry..if all my friends said, "hell yeah, you would make a perfect pedo……" I think I might worry about that myself. But hey, if you have been with them all these years, you guys know each other well enough to also mock you.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

chill98

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 02, 2016, 01:48:09 PM
Is it a compliment because it's the most difficult (male) part? Or should I be concerned and take it as an insult that five of my friends immeadiately thought of me as the perfect guy to play a possible pedophile serial killer.

I'm really torn :D It's weird.
Compliment.

Best stories end with "I never would have suspected..."

marom1963

It's a definite compliment. They think that you can pull it off ... Besides - the role might get you noticed! Play it!
Does it ever come out whether he did do it? Are you going to tape it? If you do, put it on YouTube, so we can all see it.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

dtq123

It's neither to me. A job to be done is a job to be done.

They thought you'd work, and nothing more... I think...
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Flanker1Six

I'm with the others who said "compliment".  Though if it were me.....................I would have just asked them why they picked me first; just to see how they would react.   

BTW:  I worked with hundreds of peds over the years; when I was in Corrections (prisons).   Interesting (if nauseating) group; if you would like some anectodotes/material to "flesh out" your characterization..............I'd be glad to provide the "stories".   

Mr.Obvious

Thanks for the insights everybody.

@Flanker1Six I'll first see if we really end up with that play and me with that part before I expose myself to that stuff, But thanks :)

@marom1963 We'll probably tape it. But it'll be in Dutch, so I don't think you'd understand it :p
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 03, 2016, 11:43:38 AM
Thanks for the insights everybody.

@Flanker1Six I'll first see if we really end up with that play and me with that part before I expose myself to that stuff, But thanks :)

@marom1963 We'll probably tape it. But it'll be in Dutch, so I don't think you'd understand it :p

If you get it, play the crap out of it. Might become a movie. Then I can tell people I "know" who played the stage role.  :biggrin:

aitm

Quote from: Flanker1Six on June 03, 2016, 11:37:02 AM

BTW:  I worked with hundreds of peds over the years; when I was in Corrections (prisons).   Interesting (if nauseating) group; if you would like some anectodotes/material to "flesh out" your characterization..............I'd be glad to provide the "stories".   

actually I am somewhat interested. My brother in law was one. I often joked or made cruel remarks about little girls, he never would. In fact he, like most of the self righteous, would go out of their way to express their honorable intentions.

I have been told by others who have had experience with pedo's that they never joke about it, a little close to the "bone" so to speak. Have you seen that as well? Would a clue about pedo's been seen in their aversion and open repulsion to vulgar jokes about sex with children?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

jakeeey

Hey Mr. Obvious,

The way I see it is that there are three tangible options:

1) Your mates have chosen you because they all think you're capable of fulfilling the role

2) Your mates think you're a pedophile but are all happy being your mate and saying nothing about it

3) They're not really your mates at all, think you're a pedo and still don't care to say anything about it

So, either your mates ARE your mates and think you're a good actor OR they're all a bunch of twats that are happy to hang around pedos!

I'm betting it's the former or I'm sure they wouldn't associate with you to begin with.

Break a leg, dude!

J :)
Get busy living or get busy dying.