Gay NFL Player Considering Coming Out

Started by Sleeper, March 27, 2013, 09:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeper

This would be brave.

And I agree with Scott Fujita:

QuoteTrust me, the coming out of a player would create much bigger waves outside the locker room than inside. The way I've seen the conversation around LGBT issues evolve, especially in the past few years, has been encouraging. Guys are more accepting than they used to be. Even those who raise personal objections to homosexuality, some of whom are good friends of mine, would still be able to coexist and accept a gay teammate.

Teammates would probably not have a very hard time accepting a guy they already know, like, and trust. However, the barrage of bullshit and ignorance from the outside would be incalculable.
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

bennyboy

Sucks to be the first guy.  The thirtieth not so much.

Given the lifestyle of spending time in lockerrooms, ass-slapping, spotting in the gym, and generally being around sweaty guys, I find it hard to imagine that less than a third of those guys are gay.

I really think gay athletes could be the nail in the coffin for homophobia.  It's hard to tell a 300-lb linebacker that he's just a Nance.
Insanity is the only sensible response to the universe.  The sane are just making stuff up.

hrdlr110

It's hard to tell a 300-lb linebacker that he's just a Nance.[/quote]

Maybe some wideouts, QB's, tight ends, and O-linemen on the offensive side. And on the defensive side, the occasional cb. Otherwise, the testosterone levels required on that side of the ball might prohibit, not coming out, but even being gay.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Atheon

Quote from: "bennyboy"Given the lifestyle of spending time in lockerrooms, ass-slapping, spotting in the gym, and generally being around sweaty guys, I find it hard to imagine that less than a third of those guys are gay.
Don't forget the gang showers with other naked men. Even as a kid in PE class I felt that there was a serious gay vibe in the locker room.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

bennyboy

Quote from: "hrdlr110"Maybe some wideouts, QB's, tight ends, and O-linemen on the offensive side. And on the defensive side, the occasional cb. Otherwise, the testosterone levels required on that side of the ball might prohibit, not coming out, but even being gay.
I think this is a good example of why people need to learn more about who's gay.  While I can believe that the average gay man might be lower on testosterone than the average straight guy, I'm pretty sure that's not what makes people gay.
Insanity is the only sensible response to the universe.  The sane are just making stuff up.